Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
By definition, science has a method and a process. Without it, it's not science. You're really stretching the boundaries to try to include basic, instinctive problem-solving. I honestly don't believe that animals are capable of doing "science" but your description makes scientists of animals, too. I disagree.
I don't see how it makes scientists of animals. Do animals hypothesize about events being related? It is that hypothesis that is the core of all science.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
I would imagine they do hypothesize since they're able to fashion and use simple tools for digging and such.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I would imagine they do hypothesize since they're able to fashion and use simple tools for digging and such.
Fashioning and using simple tools is not hypothesizing about relationships.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
I agree. I don't believe any god. The only thing i believe in is karma.
Another person who thinks they are "atheist"... You don't believe in a god yet you believe in a higher power constantly controlling your fate, such misguidance.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM

396 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Then karma is your god.

It's instant, and it's gonna get you.

Or so someone now dead once said.

Talk about walking the talk.
Hell, no. It's not my god. it's my moral, my belief. i don't believe in gods.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM

396 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Another person who thinks they are "atheist"... You don't believe in a god yet you believe in a higher power constantly controlling your fate, such misguidance.
NO, it's not the "higher power". It's just morale. Superego. It's what my parents told me- don't be rude, work hard, be kind, treat living beings like you'd like them to treat you. So, no connections with higher power.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Hell, no. It's not my god. it's my moral, my belief. i don't believe in gods.
As if belief and karma were even remotely related.

<Sigh.>

Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Discuss.
Are you serious? What Faith, and in what?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,368 times
Actually, There is evidence.

Would you say that a wristwatch is evidence of a wristwatch maker? Or do you say that the wristwatch is no evidence at all... It made itself.

The evidence of God is all around you. Or do you say that all of that, including yourself, made itself?

You may say... But I can go and investigate the history of the wristwatch and track down it's origin to find a maker. True, this you can do. But have you? Yet you say and believe a wristwatch maker exists?

While at the same time you refuse to investigate the origin of your surroundings and yourself which will lead you to the only logical conclusion which is that of an intelligent creator. Yet without doing this research you stare into the overwhelming evidence of an obvious intelligent creator of incredible power, wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to conclude on blind faith alone, "He does not exist."

To me, this is an amazing thing. And it is incredibly foolish to want it to be so.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 AM

183 posts, read 115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Atheists don't deny this (generally). We may find a unicorn one day, as well, but until that day comes, I'll suspend my belief in unicorns.

As such, a Creator must be more complex than its creation. To what do you attribute its existence?
Why would the creation be able to grasp the creator? We are locked in the here and now. Why would we be able to fully understand that which is outside of our experience?

Obviously our finite time frame has been created an entity that exists independent of time. If not, our present time never arrives from eternity past making our existence in the here and now impossible.

The existence of a creative force or entity that has created the orderly Universe we exist in is logical whether we understand it or not. The conclusion that such a creator cannot exist because we do not perceive one expresses arrogance, irrationality and an inclination toward willful ignorance.

Given a creator, the next logical question "where did this creator come from?" assumes that a creator has not always existed in every place. That is a huge assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies