Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

Gateway Pundit

Quote:
"There is, of course, another responsibility we have to our children. And that is the responsibility to ensure that we do not pass on to them a debt they cannot pay. With the deficit we inherited, the cost of the crisis we face, and the long-term challenges we must meet, it has never been more important to ensure that as our economy recovers, we do what it takes to bring this deficit down."

President Obama
Address to Joint Session of Congress
February 24, 2009
The deficit that he "inherited" is a drop in the bucket compared to the stimulus and all the other spending they have in mind.

Total and complete disaster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
But Democrat rhetoric doesn't tell us that what you showed is true,

BTW, Newt Gingrich said yesterday that between Bush's 8 years and Obama's one month we have accumulated $3.6 trillion of new debt. That scares me more than I can say.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM

216 posts, read 290,667 times
United Stated National Debt (http://www.cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/usdebt.htm - broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I hope and pray everyday that once before I die you will figure out how to get your citations to support your thread titles or premises.

The budget deficit is not the national debt.

In order for Obama to triple the debt, the Federal budget and all the stimulus bills would have to be in the range of $20,000,000,000,000.00 (that's 20 trillion) not $2 trillion. Yes the national budget will be triple the size of FYI 2009 this is not news.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I hope and pray everyday that once before I die you will figure out how to get your citations to support your thread titles or premises.

The budget deficit is not the national debt.
The article is not about the national debt. It is clearly regarding the deficit, which is still "debt".

Surely, if I changed the title of the piece, you would then claim I had committed some kind of heinous crime, right?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM

450 posts, read 503,047 times
Serene you are wrong and Ovacatto is right! Owned! and oh yeah nice try!

You can't have debt that you haven't spent yet.
If the Stimulus cost 1 trillion dollars that is not debt.
What if through the Stimulus spending the Federal Government manages to "make more" money than before through Taxes, consumer spending, etc....
How can you say that the 1 trillion dollars is debt?
Exactly you CAN'T because it hasn't happened yet!

Thats like me saying I'm going to buy a house for 10 million dollars in 2010
So is my debt RIGHT NOW 10 million dollars?
Umm no its not because what if in 2009 I win the lottery for much more than that?
Thats why debt is whats present not whats in the future

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

479 posts, read 661,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post

What if through the Stimulus spending the Federal Government manages to "make more" money than before through Taxes, consumer spending, etc....

Umm no its not because what if in 2009 I win the lottery for much more than that?
And there is the crux of the problem...it's OK to spend all that money I don't have and have no clue where I am going to get because..."Some day I may win the lottery!" Brilliant! NOT!!!

Our country is doomed!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Wha??

Oi vey!

I'll go slow for you.

See the little chart? See.what.it.says. Federal Budget Surplus/DEFICIT.

See.my.comments.

"nice try" about what? Are you making the argument that obama has not AT LEAST tripled the deficit bush left him?

I don't think I should be running around changing titles of other authors headlines, do you?

It is clear what it is about - the deficit.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Thats like me saying I'm going to buy a house for 10 million dollars in 2010. So is my debt RIGHT NOW 10 million dollars? Umm no its not because what if in 2009 I win the lottery for much more than that? Thats why debt is whats present not whats in the future
All that looks little too complicated for some on the right to comprehend. They seem to have trouble as well with the idea that spending a dollar today to save two dollars tomorrow can be a pretty good strategy. Then there's the we wouldn't actually have to be doing any of this at all if some folks recently running the government had done just a little bit of a better job of that factor that goes right over their heads......

Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:

Which part of that $787 billion is not obligated money? Which part establishes businesses that will make money so the government can make money? Until you show me where the "made" money is coming from it seems to me that it has been spent and is, in fact, debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies