Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times

Advertisements

I wasn't alive during the 1950s, but it seemed like a great happy time.

America was booming and the world was relatively peaceful. A young man named Elvis Presley had redefined music. The music was great. Not that noise garbage these young people are listening to now. Women wore pearls and dresses and could really cook. Men were good fathers and supported their children and were responsible.

Don't y'all wish it could be like Leave It To Beaver? I sure do !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Yeah, the fifties were great. Except for you know, blacks, women, gays, Jews, Italians, women who wanted a career, people trapped in unhappy marriages, men who grew their hair long, people with polio......

I could continue on for some time. Leave It To Beaver was not real. It was a television show. The 1950s were not utopian by any means.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by "utopia". It's easy to look back at past eras and claim that life (and people) was better then than it is today. People have done that for eons.

Ignoring the civil rights aspects, it's hard to answer your question without knowing more about what you mean by "utopia"?

How would you go about analyzing the economic aspects? On the one hand, a high school graduate could own a home and raise a family with a stay-at-home wife, but on the otherhand, people had much smaller houses, one car, black-and-white television, and computers did not exist.

It's too bad that there isn't an easy way to compare today and yesteryear using criteria that would compare some sort of era-independent measure of economic well-being.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Yeah, the fifties were great. Except for you know, blacks, women, gays, Jews, Italians, women who wanted a career, people trapped in unhappy marriages, men who grew their hair long, people with polio......

I could continue on for some time. Leave It To Beaver was not real. It was a television show. The 1950s were not utopian by any means.
Now thats a very cynical way of looking at things.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Where in the heck do you come up with this stuff? Can we at least answer the last 14 questions before you add any more?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Thanks for the neg. Only my second one ever!

You've got some issues.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Where in the heck do you come up with this stuff? Can we at least answer the last 14 questions before you add any more?
I guess he's trying to stimulate conversation, but I must admit, my head is staring to spin, trying to keep up with all the questions he asks, bless his heart.

VASINGER, I don't believe DULLNBORING was being cynical. It's called reality. Although, there was much good in the fifties, it was not Utopia. Such a thing does not exist, nor is it likely to, people being what they are, a mixture of both good and bad. One can look back, with nostalgia, (if one lived during that particular era), or one can look at that time with some wonderment, maybe even a little envy, (I used to love my mother's era of music ), but one cannot be naive about the things that were wrong with any era, be it the fifties, or any other time. I love history, but I can tell you, especially as a woman, I would not want to live in any of those times., including the fifties. Women were treated like the scarlett woman, if they were pregnant and unwed, though the men were simply "sewing wild oats" ; blacks had few rights, (would you like someone to tell you where you could sit on the bus? Or, which water fountain to drink from? Etc.); American Indians couldn't practice their own religion, legally, (that right wasn't given to them until the 70's, my era!). Every time in history had it's good points, but none of them had Utopia. I think that DULLNBORING was simply trying to remind you not to look into the past with rose-colored glasses.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,519 times
I had to do a double take.
I thought I click "Other Topics"
but it appeared to be "Vasinger Forum" I was confused.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,327 times
Just a thought here......Elvis Presley did not redefine music. Little Richard did but because he was black in that time period, he never got credit for what he did until later. Elvis capitalized on the Motown that no one else was paying attention to.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
That's not cynical. It's realistic.
That's like me watching Friends and really thinking that if I move to New York, I can sit in a coffee shop with my 5 other friends, live in a fabulous apartment and talk about my love life all day. Oh, and work maybe every other day or less. It's not real. It's entertainment.

I think your new best friend is going to be NAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies