Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
supposing all of this is true... we are STILL there! Sadam has been gone for a long time now. WTF are we still doing there???!!!
Hint: Do you see any reason that the U.S. could benefit from having a friend in the Middle East? We have freed those people from a ruthless dictator. We are helping them rebuild their country and have brought them freedom and democracy.

It hasn't been an easy process but we will all benefit in the long term - as long as we don't lose sight of our goals there.

Our U.S. soldiers have done and are doing an outstanding job in Iraq. I am very proud of them. And I am very grateful for the sacrifices they are making for our country. God bless them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A little gem from Bill Clinton that contradicts everything liberals have been saying about Iraq:
I hate Bill Clinton and I hate his conniving wife. Always have. Always will.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM

106 posts, read 184,389 times
It was speculation on my part to say that Iraq was invaded to serve as a foothold to continue searching for the 9/11 perp osama - the only speculative part of my post, and not the only reason I gave for invading Iraq.

You have to consider the whole post, I think the Bush admin. thought the Iraq invasion would yield benefits and they used 9/11 as an excuse to go over there. I think it was already a part of the plan, and osama is such a small and elusive blip on the radar I question whether or not we are or ever were actively pursueing him. The point is that action was called for, someone needed to pay, and Bush's approval rating when we did invade Iraq reflects this. I think that his administration originally thought that saddam's removal from power would be more cost effective and would please the masses greater than searching the desert for a relative unknown with the prospect of it being a fruitless labor.

I'll admit that saddam didn't specifically threaten us with WMD's, but he definitely wanted us to believe that he had them - refusing to allow UN weapons inspectors access to his stockpiles, and then enduring the economic sanctions against him and allowing his people to suffer (not that he cared about his people anyways, but surely this had to have inconvenienced him greatly) when all he had to do was grant the weapons inspectors access.

Last edited by eathey; 02-27-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It hasn't been an easy process but we will all benefit in the long term - as long as we don't lose sight of our goals there.
"We" have no goals there. Bush's goal was to get rid of a guy who had become too much of a nuisance to his Israeli puppetmasters, and to turn Iraq into a giant cash withdrawal machine for his rich friends in the process.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I hate Bill Clinton and I hate his conniving wife. Always have. Always will.
I grew up a dem and when the clinton campaign became what it was and clinton being what he was. I knew I had to vote against him and that was when I turned and became a republican and have never looked back. I am ashamed of the dem party and what they have become. They have strayed from their roots and become an embarrassment.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eathey View Post
It was speculation on my part to say that Iraq was invaded to serve as a foothold to continue searching for the 9/11 perp osama - the only speculative part of my post, and not the only reason I gave for invading Iraq.

You have to consider the whole post, I think the Bush admin. thought the Iraq invasion would yield benefits and they used 9/11 as an excuse to go over there. I think it was already a part of the plan, and osama is such a small and elusive blip on the radar I question whether or not we are or ever were actively pursueing him. The point is that action was called for, someone needed to pay, and Bush's approval rating when we did invade Iraq reflects this. I think that his administration originally thought that saddam's removal from power would be more cost effective and would please the masses greater than searching the desert for a relative unknown with the prospect of it being a fruitless labor.

I'll admit that saddam didn't specifically threaten us with WMD's, but he definitely wanted us to believe that he had them - refusing to allow UN weapons inspectors access to his stockpiles, and then enduring the economic sanctions against him and allowing his people to suffer (not that he cared about his people anyways, but surely this had to have inconvenienced him greatly) when all he had to do was grant the weapons inspectors access.
The U.S. and the world is much better off without Saddam around. Safer, too.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
"We" have no goals there. Bush's goal was to get rid of a guy who had become too much of a nuisance to his Israeli puppetmasters, and to turn Iraq into a giant cash withdrawal machine for his rich friends in the process.
Has anyone considered the liberation of a nation? I have a good friend who served two tours overseas for the Army, and it wasn't until his second tour that he felt like we had accomplished something. The second tour was Iraq. He was a hard-nose all his life, I never saw him emotional until he returned from Iraq (I knew him 11 years). This guy breaks down in tears each time he tells stories about this - there were many moments when kids would run up to him and his comrades in the street and pin crafts to their packs and uniforms and give them handfuls of candy. Children, adolescents, and adults would offer them snacks when they appeared to have nothing to spare. They would bow their heads when he walked by. He said that the appreciation and hope on their faces would make him weak in the knees. He swears it is the most profound thing that he has ever experienced, it made him proud to be a soldier and he will carry it to the grave with him.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I grew up a dem and when the clinton campaign became what it was and clinton being what he was. I knew I had to vote against him and that was when I turned and became a republican and have never looked back. I am ashamed of the dem party and what they have become. They have strayed from their roots and become an embarrassment.
Well, I agree the Dems sold their souls when they not only nominated Clinton but enabled him every step of the way, looked the other way at his criminal career, etc. I never expected to vote Dem again, but the other guys went so far off the wingnut militarist deep end after 9/11 that I just had no choice.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eathey View Post
Has anyone considered the liberation of a nation? I have a good friend who served two tours overseas for the Army, and it wasn't until his second tour that he felt like we had accomplished something. The second tour was Iraq. He was a hard-nose all his life, I never saw him emotional until he returned from Iraq (I knew him 11 years). This guy breaks down in tears each time he tells stories about this - there were many moments when kids would run up to him and his comrades in the street and pin crafts to their packs and uniforms and give them handfuls of candy. Children, adolescents, and adults would offer them snacks when they appeared to have nothing to spare. They would bow their heads when he walked by. He said that the appreciation and hope on their faces would make him weak in the knees. He swears it is the most profound thing that he has ever experienced, it made him proud to be a soldier and he will carry it to the grave with him.
Any time one foreign power occupies another, there will be some of the people in the occupied country who prefer the invaders to the native rulers. The people in Eastern Europe oppressed under Stalin welcomed Hitler's troops, and vice versa. That by itself isn't proof of anything, and if it is taken as a general excuse for countries to invade each other when they feel the other isn't sufficiently "free", the world will soon be a much worse madhouse than it already is. That's why we have things like, oh, the UN Charter for one thing.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Any time one foreign power occupies another, there will be some of the people in the occupied country who prefer the invaders to the native rulers. The people in Eastern Europe oppressed under Stalin welcomed Hitler's troops, and vice versa. That by itself isn't proof of anything, and if it is taken as a general excuse for countries to invade each other when they feel the other isn't sufficiently "free", the world will soon be a much worse madhouse than it already is. That's why we have things like, oh, the UN Charter for one thing.
That is your opinion. If I knew there was a dictator out there murdering, enslaving, raping, and robbing his people - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that I could do something about it.

- and simply removing that dictator from power isn't enough, if you don't lay a new foundation a new dictator will assume the role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies