Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,685,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Heiwos, get off of your platform and your constant bashing republican bull crap. When did you last live here? Do you realize there are many people here whom make great wages, can afford more expensive homes?
Not everyone works for Micron. Why do you always see the glass half emtpy?
What is your agenda? What are you trying to prove here????
Do you miss Boise so much that all of the sudden you decided to start posting in Boise threads with a constant downer tone and actually telling people to leave the state???
Are you a happy person? Having depression issues?
I've lived here my whole live, and I tend to agree with him.

I'm also a Political Science B.A. and JD (non practicing), so I have quite a bit of experience in this realm.

I think it's tempered realism for a lot of the cheerleaders of the state of the economy (who, as past threads have shown, have been wrong every step of the way). As has been stated ad nauseum, all perspectives are important.

And then you get articles like the one in today's Statesman:

How the Valley's vibrant economy disintegrated | Eyepiece | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/684139.html - broken link)

"How did we not see this coming?" it asks, rhetorically. Well, many of us DID SEE IT COMING AND WARNED ABOUT IT FOR YEARS.

But of course, we were labeled doom and gloomers, growthophobes, unrealisitic, and trying to scare people away.

Those who didn't see it were those who simply refused to look deeper into the issue, because so long as the money was flowing, all was good. It's absolute short-sightedness, as Heiwos points out.

I'm not going to make this a Rep-Dem thing, because I think both suffer equally paralyzing problems. It's also unwise to look to other states in comparison, because Idaho is its own unique context.

But Syringaloid, the proof is in the pudding and you still refuse to acknowledge it. I say that with all good intents, and I ask, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,368,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Just poking my head in the Idaho forum, and came across this.

What strikes me as funny is the last line of your statement, "The CEO is willing to bankrupt the company in the future for a $10 million bonus today."<----Isn't that EXACTLY what this stimulus is doing to future generations of Americans? Sacrificing the future of our children for a fix today, so nobody has to feel uncomfortable?

And by rejecting bailout money, they are not turning their backs on Idaho. They are refusing to turn Idaho into a welfare state. The stimulus is giving the working person $13 per week, and giving the unemployed $25 per week. What does that tell you?
Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
My point is, the sooner Idahoans quit voting against their own best interests, the better off they will be. I hate to see the children suffer. (People are going to be starving within a few years, and not because of Obama.) As long as we're talking mass lay-offs which are leading to another Great Depression, might as well discuss the root cause and how to fix that.
I am not supportive of either R or D, I have my own values, but Obama is not the God the liberal press makes him out to be and I believe he has a less than impressive track record so far. I am frightened for our nation and the mess it is in and all states are in the mess together. This is not an Idaho issue, but a national issue which is affecting the whole planet Earth.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 PM

960 posts, read 1,165,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I am not supportive of either R or D, I have my own values, but Obama is not the God the liberal press makes him out to be and I believe he has a less than impressive track record so far. I am frightened for our nation and the mess it is in and all states are in the mess together. This is not an Idaho issue, but a national issue which is affecting the whole planet Earth.
This is an Idaho issue, and a red state issue. Red states absolutely screwed this nation to the wall. Red states voted to borrow & waste $9 trillion! Unnecessary war? Check! Red states love love LOVE welfare. Now we'll all pay for that. Blue states voted to pay down the debt, not increase it; after all, we liked Clinton and his budget surpluses--we didn't want him to spend that surplus like Republicans furiously demanded. (And no, Obama's multi-$trillion attempt to lessen the severity of the depression that would be 10X more costly is not a waste of spending.) Things are going to get very bad all over, yes even worldwide, but Idaho is almost certainly going to fare among the worst, because the majority there still fervently hold the same beliefs that caused this mess, most tellingly the belief that showering the rich with borrowed money, in general doing whatever it takes to keep the rich fat & happy at the expense of everyone else, is the best thing ever. $450K houses in Eagle will be $200K-or-less houses within three years, you can bet on it. There will be food bank lines filled with the former middle-class. I wish it weren't so! if only for the childrens' sake. When oh when will the majority of Idahoans wake up and stop voting against their own best interests?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,368,940 times
Quote:
This is an Idaho issue, and a red state issue. Red states absolutely screwed this nation to the wall. Red states voted to borrow & waste $9 trillion! Unnecessary war? Check! Red states love love LOVE welfare. Now we'll all pay for that. Blue states voted to pay down the debt, not increase it; after all, we liked Clinton and his budget surpluses--we didn't want him to spend that surplus like Republicans furiously demanded. (And no, Obama's multi-$trillion attempt to lessen the severity of the depression that would be 10X more costly is not a waste of spending.) Things are going to get very bad all over, yes even worldwide, but Idaho is almost certainly going to fare among the worst, because the majority there still fervently hold the same beliefs that caused this mess, most tellingly the belief that showering the rich with borrowed money, in general doing whatever it takes to keep the rich fat & happy at the expense of everyone else, is the best thing ever. $450K houses in Eagle will be $200K-or-less houses within three years, you can bet on it. There will be soup lines filled with the former middle-class. I wish it weren't so! if only for the childrens' sake. When oh when will the majority of Idahoans wake up and stop voting against their own best interests?

Sorry but I don't buy anything you are saying. This is the whole nations issue and remember only about half of the nation voted for Obama when you consider the real numbers and not the electorate college numbers.
I believe Idaho will fare among the best.

Oregon and Washington are D states and they currently have worse economies than Idaho. If you believe what Obama is doing is good "for the children" who you seem to be so concerned about than go ahead and believe it.
All of his stimulus wanna be miracles have done nothing but make the nation fall into deeper depression.
God Bless the USA

Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,849,763 times
Well folks, it just went beyond the confines of Idaho-state politics, so this has been moved to the general political forum. Enjoy the rest of your discussion.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 PM

Wow. No, God isn't going to save y'all, or even magically make Washington's economy worse than Idaho's. Why not just stop voting so poorly instead? I'm sorry to break the news that voting for debt is radically different than voting against debt. It's only the whole nation's issue because we are all affected by the red staters' love of welfare.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,217,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludiofelix View Post
Hi folks, This seemed like a good place to post this. According to the news article below: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/27/us/27govs.html Idaho is one of the states considering turning down federal funds from the recent stimulus bill that would provide for extended unemployment benefits for those laid off in this hard year. As a friend or colleague of many people in this situation at HP or Micron, I have written to our governor to protest this action and demand that they take the funds and extend people's benefits per the requirements for taking this money. Their argument is that though they would get money from the federal government, the changes might end up costing the state treasury more. I say, if they need to raise more money for the state treasury, they should enact new taxes on the companies and highly paid managers who are making the decisions to cut jobs in Boise and send them overseas, not punish the poor souls who find themselves jobless in this horrible economy after long careers of dedicated service. You can write to our governor at this page: C. L. &ldquo;Butch&rdquo; Otter - The State of Idaho - Our Governor Contact Form Please forward this to all your friends and family.

I say good for the states refusing the funds. the stimulus package is a bad idea anyway. how do you steal money from the private sector and then give it back to them (after the federal goverment takes its cut) and then call it a stimulus package.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,806,441 times
Quote:
...It will be boom/bust in Idaho as long as it's a red state...
As opposed to boom/bust in all those other blue states?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

39,884 posts, read 26,562,438 times
As an Idaho resident, I'm glad to see that our governor has the guts to do the right thing. The Obama plan doesn't just extend unemployement benefits, it expands greatly the number of people that qualify for them. If the D's would stay out of social engineering and just offer the money as a straight forward extension the results might be different. But no, that doesn't fit the agenda.

To the best of my knowledge, Idaho is still running a slight surplus, and has a rainy day fun available. When it was obvious that we were in an economic downturn, the governor passed a 10% across the board budget cut. What a concept, not spending beyond your means! Too bad the federal government and certain delusional blue state governors can't do the same.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM

Maybe you don't realize that half of Idaho home prices are temporary. Bush doubled the national debt and forced down interest rates. It doesn't really matter what good Idaho does at this point, it will pale in comparison to the damage they've done to the state and the nation. No matter what damage is done in blue states, it wasn't the fault of those states. (Of course, there are some conservatives in the blue states, but they were ineffectual. And liberals in Idaho are not to blame.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies