Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If there is a market for these types of mortgages, people will offer the product. It's simply a loan that's structured differently.
I'd like to see the numbers. That's a significant "up front" payment to avoid interest. Especially for people who, the article says, can't afford mortgages any other way. It's not adding up for me. Special privileges aside, is this another mortgage scam of some kind--because it seems unlikely that people with little money can pay that kind of interest up-front. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'm sorry, but I think this is ridiculous. We're now supposed to offer mortgage terms tailor-made to accommodate differing religious laws? This is not a Muslim country. Muslims who move here have either got to assimilate or move elsewhere. First, Muslim women in Florida want driver's license photos with their faces covered, and now this? What is it with this new wave of immigrants? Does this mean an Orthodox Jew, who accepts a job offer that includes a Friday evening or Saturday work schedule, can now turn around and sue the employer for making him work on Friday evening or Saturday? Enough is enough.
Its about making money, what don't you get. If they qualify for the loans and pay the same fees I don't understand the difference.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Exactly. The U.S. is a melting pot of many cultures--all assimilated into "American" SECULAR culture. That means that immigrant groups cannot ask for special privileges based on their cultural/religious beliefs.
What special privilege are they receiving exactly? Paying MORE for their house than what it's worth? Changing the terms so that technically they are not paying "interest," just an exorbitant amount of money? Is it really a "privilege" to do that?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
I have no mercy on the Minnesota people. They voted one into office who swore on a koran rather then a bible and Minnesotans were just fine with it.

Good luck to ya all. Bye bye America...it was nice knowing ya.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Its about making money, what don't you get. If they qualify for the loans and pay the same fees I don't understand the difference.
I realize it's about making money. What seems odd to me is that they are mortgages for first-time home buyers who have little money. As a home buyer myself, I know that the "up-front interest" is a whopper. So how can they afford to pay for that interest up front? I realized it's rolled into the loan, but 30 years of interest rolled into one mortgage would make a mighty big mortgage payment. If anyone can explain how this works, I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Especially for people who, the article says, can't afford mortgages any other way.
Where does it say that?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the numbers. That's a significant "up front" payment to avoid interest. Especially for people who, the article says, can't afford mortgages any other way. It's not adding up for me. Special privileges aside, is this another mortgage scam of some kind--because it seems unlikely that people with little money can pay that kind of interest up-front. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
The way I read it - say I have a mortgage for $400k, my payment would be, say $3k, because I'm paying interest and principle. Their mortgage amount is adjusted, they'd have the same payment $3k, yet the principle amount would be higher. There is no upfront payment, the loan amount is simply higher.

I'd repay $700k over the course of my loan, their initial mortgage would be for $700k with no interest, see what I'm getting at?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
I realize it's about making money. What seems odd to me is that they are mortgages for first-time home buyers who have little money. As a home buyer myself, I know that the "up-front interest" is a whopper. So how can they afford to pay for that interest up front? I realized it's rolled into the loan, but 30 years of interest rolled into one mortgage would make a mighty big mortgage payment. If anyone can explain how this works, I'd appreciate it.
I don't know the details but from that article I don't see anything outrageous. Until I do I assume they make enough money to make the payments and put the money down, however outrageous the amounts may be.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What special privilege are they receiving exactly? Paying MORE for their house than what it's worth? Changing the terms so that technically they are not paying "interest," just an exorbitant amount of money? Is it really a "privilege" to do that?
Look, before you get all bent out of shape: I'm a dreaded "liberal," I've volunteered my time--for years-- to teach English to immigrants (legal and illegal), I fight for the underdog; I have many friends (and family) who are immigrants--blah,blah,blah. I just, personally, do not believe in altering laws to accommodate religious beliefs--Christian or Muslim or otherwise. In this case, the religion is Muslim. Since we have just gone through a huge wave of immigration, there have been enormous pressures put on governmental, educational, and health systems to accommodate demands from these immigrants that we have never seen before (my mother was an immigrant). I believe--and it's perfectly within reason--that immigrants to any secular country--not just the U.S.--should adapt or should not immigrate. And they certainly should not be making demands on a secular government to accommodate unreasonable religious beliefs. Furthermore, the last thing the banking structure needs is a set of more complicated mortgage arrangements--especially in recent light of the fact that they appear unable to responsibly facilitate regular mortgages. Which brings me to my last point: these up-front mortgages appear to me to be flat-out usury. As I said, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Well, either you can afford it, or you can't.

If you can't, then you rent a place instead of buying one.

Is that simple enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies