Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,577,173 times

Advertisements

Tenn. school censors ‘God Bless the USA,’ ‘In God We Trust’
Student's artwork had the words "In God We Trust" covered up by school officials. Is this another example of "freedom from religion"? And public school teachers wonder why there's an increased number of students being homeschooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,081,987 times
another example of the US Government violating the 1st amendment of the constitution. are you really that surprised?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 PM

I'm not surprised at all. Just one more example that public schools are becoming a place for "freedom from religion".

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,574,352 times
1. It isn't the US Government that did the censoring, it was the locally run school. I thought we wanted less federal more local? I could understand the outrage if it really was the federal government that censored it but it wasn't and if that particular school district wants to enforce something like this, well then why shouldn't they be able to?

2. This isn't a case of a student making art with in god we trust in it. It was posters advertising an after school prayer group that happened to be made by a group of students. Right or wrong, there is a big difference.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,725,527 times
^^
haha. Always interesting when the political spin of "government oppressing religion" gets taken out and the truth emerges. Never quite the same.

That said - a student would win big brownie points from me for demanding that all administrators tape over the slogan on the money in their pockets.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
1. It isn't the US Government that did the censoring, it was the locally run school. I thought we wanted less federal more local? I could understand the outrage if it really was the federal government that censored it but it wasn't and if that particular school district wants to enforce something like this, well then why shouldn't they be able to?

2. This isn't a case of a student making art with in god we trust in it. It was posters advertising an after school prayer group that happened to be made by a group of students. Right or wrong, there is a big difference.
1. In response to your first statement, this is a government run school and so is the excuse of the ACLU and the US Supreme Court to stop prayer in public school. The excuse of the ACLU was that since the government runs the school, having prayer in school violates "separation of church and state", which doesn't exist in the constitution. By that logic, the US government was censoring the student.

2. This was the student's personal artwork which included the words "in god we trust". The school censored the words "In God We Trust" of a student's personal artwork. Right or wrong, it still amounts to public school censoring student's artwork.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

479 posts, read 661,837 times
And people wonder why our country is sinking into oblivion.

I'll say it again...the further we move away from God the worse things
will continue to get in America.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,648,533 times
Of course it might also have been the case that the school official did not trust in God!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,469,581 times
These Christian types are really acting out, puffing out their chests in effect, aren't they? They're looking for a fight, so I guess they found one. I would also infer that for some reason they're feeling insecure about their personal religious practices and are repeatedly choosing to draw attention to themselves.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,574,352 times
Ah but if you read the article:

"The American Civil Liberties Union previously sued the school to stop it from recognizing such events, including "See You at the Pole" and the National Day of Prayer. In May 2008, a federal judge refused to grant the ACLU's request."

It is a locally run school. It was the school that made the decision, NOT the US Government.

You can be unhappy with the decision but that decision had nothing to do with the US Government or the US Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies