Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,573,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
And people wonder why our country is sinking into oblivion.

I'll say it again...the further we move away from God the worse things
will continue to get in America.
you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, and I disagree. I don't need a higher power to know right from wrong.

As Abraham Lincoln once said:

"When I do good, I feel good, When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,567,330 times
The ACLU argued before the US Supreme court that having prayer in public school amounts to the US government's endorsement of religion and violated the separation of church and state. By their argument, public school administrators and faculty are representatives of the US Goverment and so by their own logic, it was the US Government who censored a student's speech (artwork).

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
I betcha if it said in ______ we trust it would be acceptable. You fill in the blank. We truely are not free in America unless we can say the truth. And we can not...this forum included. American culture will be read about in history books in 50 years because what we grew up with will be gone.

There was so much pubic outrage over retail stores refusing to say Merry Christmas but instead choosing the very insulting Happy Holiday. Along with this was the Holiday tree rather then what it is...a Christmas Tree. Why not just call it a pine tree?

Now we have the kooks wanting to do away with Halloween because it offends Satan. Doing away with Thanksgiving for reasons Im opressed from saying in public forums.

Sometimes parents have a pretty big mouth. I hope they can create a strong public outcry and reverse this.

They all wana come here to seek a better life but when they get here they try to change our ways, our lives and our customs that WE have developed and enjoyed for 300 years.

I have to be so careful with my choice of words because I/we/America does not want to offend anyone now do we.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM

479 posts, read 661,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, and I disagree. I don't need a higher power to know right from wrong.

As Abraham Lincoln once said:

"When I do good, I feel good, When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
You have my sympathies, hopefully you will see the light before it's too late.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,573,578 times
"Is School Prayer actually prohibited?
No. The Engel v. Vitale decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1962 prohibited only state-mandated prayer in public schools classrooms. As Richard Riley, the former Secretary of Education, stated: "...religious rights of students and their right to freedom of conscience do not stop at the schoolhouse door." 5 He was apparently quoting another landmark Supreme Court decision: Tinker v. Des Moines where the court ruled that students do not "shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate."

Students in U.S. public schools are free to:

Take Bibles or other religious texts with them on the school bus.
Pray alone or in groups at the flagpole or elsewhere on school grounds.
Pray in classrooms outside of regular teaching hours.
Say grace and/or pray in a school cafeteria.
Form a Bible study club or any other religious club, if even one student-led group is already allowed in the school. This is a guaranteed right under the federal Equal Access Act of 1984.
Students can wear T-shirts with religious text. They can wear religious jewelry (buttons, symbols, crosses, stars of David, pentacles, etc).
Students can hand out religious materials.

Although these rights are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, they are not necessarily granted by school officials automatically. Fortunately, a variety of legal organizations, such as the Rutherford Foundation 6 and American Civil Liberties Union 7 can intervene on behalf of students and explain the law to the school administration. These matters are usually cleared up very quickly, because of the wealth of case law supporting student rights. The Rutherford Foundation has stated: "Many cases can be solved with a strong and professional letter from an attorney, a legal memorandum from our office, or a phone call from a staff member.""

Again, this has nothing to do with the US Government, but the decision of the local school.

Edited because I forgot to add the link: http://www.religioustolerance.org/ps_prag.htm

Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times
I don't see the big deal.
It isn't as if the student was MADE to make artwork like that and as long as other students who may not believe in god are not forced to look at it, why not?
We have "In god we trust" on our money unfortunately and no one has died as a result of looking at it. 99% of the time I don't even look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies