Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm, big business holds their meetings at a resort, public boos and politicians bluster. Union leaders hold their meeting at a resort, the media hardly mentions it and the Vice President goes. Where's the outrage?

Forgot the link and it should be Fountaine Bleu:

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=44549 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hmmmm, big business holds their meetings at a resort, public boos and politicians bluster. Union leaders hold their meeting at a resort, the Vice President goes. Where's the outrage?
Sorry, Laura. I missed the link on this one.......could you point me in the right direction?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
The AFL-CIO negotiated to hold its meeting at the Fountainebleu based on the renovation using union employees. The AFL-CIO hasn't received any bail-out money. So what exactly is the outrage supposed to be about?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 AM

553 posts, read 836,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The AFL-CIO negotiated to hold its meeting at the Fountainebleu based on the renovation using union employees. The AFL-CIO hasn't received any bail-out money. So what exactly is the outrage supposed to be about?
Maybe you haven't noticed, but the Auto Industry is dying....

The unions are refusing to budge in order to keep the industry going... They won't take any cuts or buy outs yet they can drop cash on a perk like this.... If you don't get it, I'm sad for you

Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

358 posts, read 472,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post

The unions are refusing to budge in order to keep the industry going... They won't take any cuts or buy outs yet they can drop cash on a perk like this.... If you don't get it, I'm sad for you
Take your Republican talking points elsewhere.

Whether the Auto Industry is dying or not is not relevant here, the AFL-CIO is a council of many, many Unions, some from healthy industries and some not so healthy. So how about knocking off the misleading hurrah union haters. I doubt any of you are dues paying members of any union so it is not any of your business how the AFL-CIO spends THEIR money. When the AFL-CIO takes tax dollars then get back to me. When you are paying union dues to a member union I really do not want to hear it here (a least then you would have SOME standing though), file a complaint through your local and make a motion at the regular meeting condemining.

Until then, how about just shutting up union haters.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
Take your Republican talking points elsewhere.

Whether the Auto Industry is dying or not is not relevant here, the AFL-CIO is a council of many, many Unions, some from healthy industries and some not so healthy. So how about knocking off the misleading hurrah union haters. I doubt any of you are dues paying members of any union so it is not any of your business how the AFL-CIO spends THEIR money. When the AFL-CIO takes tax dollars then get back to me. When you are paying union dues to a member union I really do not want to hear it here (a least then you would have SOME standing though), file a complaint through your local and make a motion at the regular meeting condemining.

Until then, how about just shutting up union haters.
The auto industry

I don't think any of this constitutes "union hating." The issue here is whether our national union leadership, which has bled the auto industry dry (not, admittedly, without the cooperation -- in the form of incredible cowardice and bad judgement -- of management) and now is apparently going to ride that ship right to the bottom of the ocean, should be partying as the Titanic sinks.

Having said this, the Fountainbleau is hardly a palace, and the expenses incurred pale in comparsion with the AIG execs and others who ought to be thrown in jail for felony chutzpah.

The country is watching all of this. And the country is not amused.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 03-05-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM

358 posts, read 472,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The auto industry

I don't think any of this constitutes "union hating." The issue here is whether our national union leadership, which has bled the auto industry dry (not, admittedly, without the cooperation -- in the form of incredible cowardice and bad judgement -- of management) and now is apparently going to ride that ship right to the bottom of the ocean, should be partying as the Titanic sinks.

Having said this, the Fountainbleau is hardly a palace, and the expenses incurred pale in comparsion with the AIG execs and others who ought to be thrown in jail for felony chutzpah.

The country is watching all of this. And the country is not amused.
First, the AFL-CIO is NOT the UAW. The UAW is one member of an association called the AFL-CIO, one of hundreds. Second it is not the unions that killed the auto industry, that is just more Republican BS. That 28 dollar an hour bumper fitter did not do it but the stupid greedy managers and boards over the year that did it. That bumper fitter had nothing to do with it.

When times are good the Auto makers were not paying attention, they were busy handing out stock options and bonuses all the while planning for the next quater. I am not a visionary but I saw the handwriting on the wall years ago, while Detroit managent fiddled. I am now on my 2nd VW Diesel. The latest gets 43 mpg @75mph. Where can I get a car like that from Detroit, with an estimatated lifespan of 1/2 million miles+? Now lets build some more SUV's, the margins are higher they say.

I do not think the seat installer had anything to say about a product line that no one wants anymore, about a reputation of poor quality established in the 80's. All he did was install seats the way he was trained.

Auto workers also did not have any say about the over production, the over pay of their corporate staff. Auto workers are not over paid, they make less than $30 and hour, and they pay a portion of their healthcare. Loaded hourly+ benefits = about $71,000 a year, a good living but not extravagant. They are paid less that Mecerdes workers in Germany and Germany picks up healthcare. The pay for workers, after benefits in the USA is within $5 an hour of Honda, Toyota, Mecerdes and Nissan in the USA. When Toyota closed their new plant in San Antonio the employees still got most all of their paychecks.

So quit hating American workers, this is management at the corportate level, period.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post

And where did the UAW hold their annual meeting?

I've criticized unions on other threads. But this union first of all negotiated where to hold its meeting based on benefiting union members (ensuring that the renovation work would be performed by unions), and used union funds to pay for their accommodations. If the union members are okay with this, then why would there be outrage?

Unions are private companies. Their shareholders are the union members. When the banks took the TARP money ("forced" to do so or not), they gave American taxpayers an interest in how they spend their money. When Joe Smith who cannot afford to take his family to the beach this summer hears about a bank or other corporation hosting hundreds of people at the Beverly Wiltshire, he understandably feels some outrage. Because the bottom line with any business is money in/money out. You can say the TARP money didn't fund the trips, but that's just accounting. Money in, doesn't matter which pocket you put it into to, is money in.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Forgive the thread starter. It turns out the rooms cost less than $200 per night...not the $400 to $1400 reported in the "LIBERAL MEDIA".

This is what these idiots do. They take the right wing talking point of the day and repeat it over and over.

They don't care if it's true or not ....and they damn sure don't admit they are wrong/mistaken about anything.

There's always tommorrow's talking point to begin anew...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies