Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please read the post and check which answer best describes your view
I support all these projects 7 53.85%
Against Modernizing the Energy Grid 0 0%
Against Funding for building and repairing Roads and Bridges 0 0%
Against Funding for updating technology 1 7.69%
Against Funding for projects that help Green America 3 23.08%
Against Funds for updating equipment, housing and pay for miiitary 1 7.69%
I am against all these projects 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 AM

194 posts, read 326,002 times

Advertisements

[b] Please read before placing your vote [/B]- Thank you

Below are just a few of the big projects included in President Obama's plan. I know none of us would agree with each line from the pages of the Stimulus and budget packages. Let's see how people vote on just these issues.

Modernizing Energy Grid

The existing energy grid that supplies all of us with energy is outdated. It can't handle the current demands. If we don't update it we will all be experiencing longer and longer electrical outages. Do you want your state to be one of the ones experiencing wide spread power outages for weeks? Would you rather spend the funds and modernize the existing energy grid? If we don't do it now, it will have to be done at some point- no one debates that. (The funds for this also include 100M to help train people to work on this- creating new jobs!)

Funding for building and repairing Roads and Bridges

Across our country, highways, bridges and roads are in need of repair. If we don't take care of these problems we know they will only get worse. Those problems don't just go away. We've seen what happens when we ignore known problems. New Orleans levee system and collapsing bridges are a result of delayed repairs. Wouldn't you like to see us spend on repairs rather than wait until some disaster causes us to spend more on rebuilding?

Funding for updating technology
Increasing future technology is also in the budget. This calls for expanding broadband. It also includes funding for ground based radar surveillance to be updated to satellite-based system for Air traffic controllers. (Oh my, assumed we had that)
We should see less delays and have safer skyway . Anything to complain about there?

Funding for projects that help Green America

Environmental issues like – reducing the greenhouse effect 18 percent by 2010, clean water funding, greening our farms, developing low carbon emission and renewable energy sources are included in the plan. That is building on America's future. Isn't that something we should be doing for our children?

Funds for updating equipment, housing and pay for miiitary

The military will see increased pay, upgraded housing, better equipment and improved VA benefits. I think we should support our military. Anyone ever see some of the decapitated military housing? Don't our American heroes deserve better?

(I believe that money needs to be spent on such projects at some point. Addressing these issues in time might actually be saving additional funds that would become necessary if we ignore this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,848 times
Your poll is flawed. I bet most Americans are not against having a new car in the driveway or a pool in the backyard, either. The question is cost.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times
Talk about cherry picking!
Yes, who could argue with such noble projects?
Now -- how about the millions allocated to redecorate beurocrats offices? Or did that get cut?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,721,933 times
[quote=Awakening Escapade;7759611][b] Please read before placing your vote [/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
Modernizing Energy Grid

The existing energy grid that supplies all of us with energy is outdated. It can't handle the current demands. If we don't update it we will all be experiencing longer and longer electrical outages. Do you want your state to be one of the ones experiencing wide spread power outages for weeks? Would you rather spend the funds and modernize the existing energy grid? If we don't do it now, it will have to be done at some point- no one debates that. (The funds for this also include 100M to help train people to work on this- creating new jobs!)
Too obscure... I need more details than just hearing "It's better!".

Quote:

Across our country, highways, bridges and roads are in need of repair. If we don't take care of these problems we know they will only get worse. Those problems don't just go away. We've seen what happens when we ignore known problems. New Orleans levee system and collapsing bridges are a result of delayed repairs. Wouldn't you like to see us spend on repairs rather than wait until some disaster causes us to spend more on rebuilding?
Yes.

Quote:
Increasing future technology is also in the budget. This calls for expanding broadband. It also includes funding for ground based radar surveillance to be updated to satellite-based system for Air traffic controllers. (Oh my, assumed we had that)
We should see less delays and have safer skyway . Anything to complain about there?
Yes.

Quote:

Environmental issues like – reducing the greenhouse effect 18 percent by 2010, clean water funding, greening our farms, developing low carbon emission and renewable energy sources are included in the plan. That is building on America's future. Isn't that something we should be doing for our children?
The clean water funding, yes... what is greening our farms? The rest is a bottomless money pit with no possibility of ever being resolved by mankind.

Quote:

The military will see increased pay, upgraded housing, better equipment and improved VA benefits. I think we should support our military. Anyone ever see some of the decapitated military housing? Don't our American heroes deserve better?
Yes.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
[b] Please read before placing your vote [/B]- Thank you

Below are just a few of the big projects included in President Obama's plan. I know none of us would agree with each line from the pages of the Stimulus and budget packages. Let's see how people vote on just these issues.

Modernizing Energy Grid

(I believe that money needs to be spent on such projects at some point. Addressing these issues in time might actually be saving additional funds that would become necessary if we ignore this.)
Are these the only cherries you could find in there? Do you think that passing the whole thing should be dependent on only these things? Make up another list and I may waste time voting yes or no, but when you have picked only these few cherries i think you are playing a silly game.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,025 times
Its all SOUNDS good on paper, the problem, of course, is PAYING for it. But if we are to be throwing money around like drunken sailors, in an effort to jump start our economy, it makes sense to start at home and spend on our much needed updating and bringing ourselves forward. Of course, a lot of this will probably go to groups so they can plan and oversee it to death, but then that is what we do best! So go with our strengths! I am so okay with doing Roosevelt type projects that employ American workers, but wonder about those unskilled laborers who also will need employment? Of course paving roads requires a number of those! Doing the grid, not so much, but I can that it is in our best interests to work on these projects. I am also all about affordable healthcare for EVERYONE, not just those living off the system, the old and the young. How about some for regular American who are the ones paying for everyone else and have no insurance or access to affordable healthcare because they "make too much", because they have a job. Something is wrong with the system, when the ones that are paying for the system are the ones locked out of it! Lets get busy working on something, sitting around waiting for a government handout isn't a good idea EVER! And the more we wait, the worse it is likely to become! We need everyone back to work ASAP, and anything that supports that, I am in favor of.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:34 AM

194 posts, read 326,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are these the only cherries you could find in there? Do you think that passing the whole thing should be dependent on only these things? Make up another list and I may waste time voting yes or no, but when you have picked only these few cherries i think you are playing a silly game.
I know it seems like a game, but really there are plenty of really good things in Obama's plan. Sure some items could be cut back or out. Obama said that not all these plan will make it. However, we need to see that we do have an opportunity here for some great things.
BTw- Here are some other things included for you to comment on
Increase funding for Medical prevention and wellness care
Lower Cobra costs
extend unemployment insurance
Make Bush's 800 earned income tax credit permanent
Increase Pell Grants (5,500 for 2010)
$2,500 American opportunity tax credit for college expand
$ 20 B annual fund for Emergency Disaster Assistance

Ribs wrote - I am so okay with doing Roosevelt type projects that employ American workers, but wonder about those unskilled laborers who also will need employment? Of course paving roads requires a number of those!
Obama's budget includes funding for training people for a number of the jobs created. Working on new technology and being able to make those projects work.

. There are lots of good projects here for America- and the funds being spent on these could help build on the future of our nation. The main problem in the success of this is to be a watchdog over where the funding is spent and if the new projects are working. We've seen that existing watchdog programs failed us - they should not have failed in monitoring the banks and Wall-street.
Without a doubt some will try lining their pockets if WE don't keep watch when Obama's transparency program is online. The debt we don't manage to pay off will be our children's. The transparency that President Obama is giving us into the government spending of our money- comes with an obligation to do our part and watch over it.

BTw- Can you all see the results of the poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies