Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times

Advertisements

Mr. Santelli recently bashed the Obama Administration for trying to help, as he put it "loser" homeowners, avoid foreclosure. Jon Stewart of Comedy Central's Daily Show booked Mr. Santelli as a guest. Mr. Santelli changed his mind. Well, Mr. Stewart gave Mr. Santelli what-for on the Daily Show. And the results, well, are legendary. I'll take ONE Jon Stewart over 500 Rushbo's any day. Click on the link, and watch Stewart's Santelli/CNBC takedown.

Will Bunch: What Battered Newsrooms Can Learn From Stewart's CNBC Takedown

Will Bunch

What Battered Newsrooms Can Learn From Stewart's CNBC Takedown

The most talked-about journalism of this week wasn't produced in the New York Times, CNN, Newsweek or NPR. It was Jon Stewart's epic, eight-minute takedown on Wednesday night's Daily Show of CNBC's clueless, in-the-tank reporting of inflatable bubbles and blowhard CEOs as the U.S. and world economies slowly slid into a meltdown. You can quibble about Stewart's motives in undertaking the piece -- after he was spurned for an interview by CNBC's faux populist ranter Rick Santelli -- but you can't argue with the results.

Click the link for the entire article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
I watched it and it was hilarious. So everyone remember to watch the video in the link.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
GREAT points in that article! All the mainstream media have to do is follow his lead: do your research and be honest.

'[i]t was exquisitely reported, insightful, and it tapped into America's real anger about the financial crisis in a way that mainstream journalism has found so elusive all these months, in a time when we all need to be tearing down myths. As one commenter on the Romenesko blog noted, "it's simply pathetic that one has to watch a comedy show to see things like this."'

Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Maybe some brave right wingers will start to poke their noses out of their little Hannity hutches....escape their Rush runs....and see some truth for a change....poking their noses out like little spring moles in the yard....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
GREAT points in that article! All the mainstream media have to do is follow his lead: do your research and be honest.

'[i]t was exquisitely reported, insightful, and it tapped into America's real anger about the financial crisis in a way that mainstream journalism has found so elusive all these months, in a time when we all need to be tearing down myths. As one commenter on the Romenesko blog noted, "it's simply pathetic that one has to watch a comedy show to see things like this."'

It was amazing. Santelli actually had the cojones to go off on the "losers" as he put it, conveniently forgetting the 2 TRILLION dollar bailout of the irresponsible banking industry that is still going on, amid junkets, raises and bonuses for the CEOs.

I love this stuff!!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
I watched this too, it was great.

There was another bit he did on the Dow dropping (I think it was called "The Dow Knows All") that was funny and relevant too (the Dow surging while the Titanic was sinking).

Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Looks like the "Left-wing Obama loving" media is not as left-wing as Foxnews claims.

The media spent all of 2008 talking about "The R word" because until Bush finally decided to say "recession" even though it started in 2007.
And then Foxnews says that the media is "left wing".

I didn't hear anybody critizing George Bush's vacation, and they already criticized Obama twice for visiting his family in Hawaii.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM

370 posts, read 440,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe some brave right wingers will start to poke their noses out of their little Hannity hutches....escape their Rush runs....and see some truth for a change....poking their noses out like little spring moles in the yard....

I wouldnt hold my breath, but maybe one day

Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM

More on Santelli: Or hey, you shot the wrong guy!!!

Another tool the GOP gloms onto.

Dean Baker: The Santelli Screed Hits Wrong Target on Mortgage Bailout

Dean Baker

Co-Director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research
Posted March 2, 2009 | 01:29 PM (EST

The Santelli Screed Hits Wrong Target on Mortgage Bailout

Commodity trader Rick Santelli made himself into a national hero of sorts with his televised diatribe about being forced to pay the mortgages of "losers" who could not afford, or would not pay, the full cost of their mortgage. Santelli apparently hit a chord among those who want to blame deadbeat homeowners for the country's economic woes.

--Click the link for the complete article--

Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Looks like the "Left-wing Obama loving" media is not as left-wing as Foxnews claims.

The media spent all of 2008 talking about "The R word" because until Bush finally decided to say "recession" even though it started in 2007.
And then Foxnews says that the media is "left wing".

I didn't hear anybody critizing George Bush's vacation, and they already criticized Obama twice for visiting his family in Hawaii.

...but the fundamentals of the economy are strong...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies