Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 AM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

"EAST Anglia's largest independent (food) retailer has announced it is withdrawing knives from sale in all its outlets with immediate effect.

It hopes the decision will reduce the risk of knives “falling into the wrong hands” in the communities its stores serve....."

EADT - Co-op announces ban on knives (http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EA DOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=IPED05%20Mar%202009% 2021%3A39%3A52%3A293 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
It has become absurb how the Brits have embraced poltical correctness and how they are becoming a nanny police state and still can't control the criminals anyway.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
It will be interesting to see if any "gun control" proponents will comment on this. This is obviously exactly the situation I would expect to happen. If you ban guns you don't solve any problems in the long term....there are always knives, rocks, baseball bats etc... that can be used to kill or injure someone.

My father always told me from my earliest years....guns (or any other banned item for that matter) are rarely the problem, messed up people are the problem. Banning objects never achieves your long term goal. I don't see how anyone could argue this point....but have at it since I'd like to hear an opposing point that actually makes sense to me.

The problem as stated in the linked article is messed up people...not the knives. But once you start down this road I guess eventually it seems totally normal to want to restrict the sale of knives. Let's start on rocks next :-)

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Next up: forks. After that: spoons.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
lionking has it summed up nicely.

Government interference in policing, especially in setting quotas and targets detracts from the police doing a proper job.

The retail chain is possibly doing this in order to cover it's posterior from any claims of being an accomplice to a crime.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Next up: forks. After that: spoons.
And let's not foget chopsticks, knitting needles , rocks, high heel shoes, scissors, etc...

I certainly agree that it has become completely silly. My fiance had his mini swiss army knife confiscated at the Ferry port in Portsmouth on the way to France. Maybe they could have confiscated my books too , as I could have inflicted some very painful paper cuts to the ship's captain and held everyone at ransom!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And let's not foget chopsticks, knitting needles , rocks, high heel shoes, scissors, etc...

I certainly agree that it has become completely silly. My fiance had his mini swiss army knife confiscated at the Ferry port in Portsmouth on the way to France. Maybe they could have confiscated my books too , as I could have inflicted some very painful paper cuts to the ship's captain and held everyone at ransom!
Well soon enough you're all going to be rolling around naked in plastic bubbles, with random body cavity searches to make sure you're hiding nothing. You'll be fed via plastic tubes to ensure you can't hurt anyone while eating.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Not exactly a major impact move, "withdrawing knives from sale in its supermarkets and petrol shops", not a ban. They still sell them in their department stores.

If they decided to not sell "coke zero" would it be a "ban" issue.

Maybe they had a problem with people using the knives to rob thier stores...........or there was little profit in having them vs the liability of them.

Last edited by plannine; 03-09-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
lionking has it summed up nicely.

Government interference in policing, especially in setting quotas and targets detracts from the police doing a proper job.

The retail chain is possibly doing this in order to cover it's posterior from any claims of being an accomplice to a crime.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

No government interference. Retailer decided to not sell select items in select stores. They still sell them in their department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies