Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times

Advertisements

Frank Schaeffer

Quote:
Today the Republican Party is rooting for doom. And since the Republicans are now anti-American members of an Obama-must-fail insurgency, lies become a self-fulfilling prophecy: talk doom, and keep the economy in a panic and we may get what we wish for.
[MOD CUT/copyright]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-..._b_170322.html

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: please quote no more than 2 sentences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Wow! Schaeffer summed up the present situation of the Republican Party with immense clarity!

The bottom line is” Republicans will favor destroying America if it would mean saving their Party.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Frank Schaeffer

""Today the Republican Party is rooting for doom. And since the Republicans are now anti-American members of an Obama-must-fail insurgency, lies become a self-fulfilling prophecy: talk doom, and keep the economy in a panic and we may get what we wish for.
[MOD CUT]
He's right - and the lies are working. They always have....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-08-2009, 05:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Thank you for posting that.

I believe we need both liberalism and conservativism to make our country work. But Republicanism has become something different altogether. This would be a good time for another fiscal-conservative-social progressive party to rise and push Republicans out - like the Libertarians.

It's really gotten scary the propaganda they spread.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He's right - and the lies are working. They always have....
Not like they did in the past. They've been getting their rear's kicked for two straight elections. Their approval ratings are the lowest in years.

On the other hand...Democrats and Obama are enjoying their highest approval ratings.

Only the Media hasn't been able to absorb this fact...They still act as if the GOP is in charge..

Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Not like they did in the past. They've been getting their rear's kicked for two straight elections. Their approval ratings are the lowest in years.

On the other hand...Democrats and Obama are enjoying their highest approval ratings.

Only the Media hasn't been able to absorb this fact...They still act as if the GOP is in charge..

Ya, I used to be one of those republicans....until about 10 years or more ago. I've been drifting to the left for the past 10 or 12 years. I never was a radical righty...and I doubt I'll ever be a wild lefty either. I like myself where I'm at now...just a bit to the left of center.

I'm not fond of either of the two major political parties quite honestly. I think both of them are a ruinous affair that does not serve america or it's citizens well.

That being said, the republicans are going to self destruct if they continue to hemorage decent, educated, middle of the road reasonable folks such as many of the folks I know. It does seem that the religious right folks have hijacked the republican party and there is no room for discussion of any issue that they have their firm opinion on.

I attended a republican county convention 12 years or so ago. I have never seen such a collective group of ill informed, ignorant and one or two issue people. I am NOT saying there were no intellegent people since I know there were a few cause we soon found each other :-) It's amazing how quickly about 10 of us immediately recognized our similar nature as reasonable conservatives as opposed to many of the others who were there for one or two issues at most....the anti-abortion, anti gun control crowd....and so many of those folks were clueless about any other issue we were voting on...sad really.

It's fine to have strong opinions on any issue, in fact it's great. But what irritated me greatly was the amount of these folks who as I said before were clueless about the other 50 issues we were voting on to build the party platform. I had people asking me to explain very simple issues to them since they were unaware of what they would be voting on at the convention. Don't ya think if you are elected a delegate you should bone up on that stuff ? Aparently not in all cases :-(

That being said, I've also attended democratic political functions to see how that works for me...and sadly, although vastly different in some ways, that doesn't work for me either. They too seem to be run by a bunch of lefty hacks that don't see much need to listen to opposing opinions. I do have to say though that it didn't seem quite a scary as the republican convention I mentioned earlier...lol. At least these people seemed literate, for the most part articulate and pretty well versed on the issues.

I think I'll just relish my status as an independent and.....with any luck, I won't get all those solicitation letters from either party.

Last edited by jasper1372; 03-08-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM

^^
Keep in mind that the media has to maintain tension so people will continue to watch. If there is no tension, there are no viewers.

If you were paying attention during the election, as Obama started to pull away in the final couple months CNN started harping on the question of whether people who said they would vote for a black man actually would.

They made us all stayed tuned to find out!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,730 times
I watched the interview and it was the worst piece of journalism I have ever seen (if you can call it that). Schaeffer basically blamed the Evangelical movement for the invasion of Iraq -- huh???

D.L. Hughley needs to go to j-school. Hughley basically gave this nutcase free reign to spew off his crazy ideas. To say it was a "miracle" a pro-abortion president was elected and to claim to still be a Christian is hypocracy at its finest.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^^
Keep in mind that the media has to maintain tension so people will continue to watch. If there is no tension, there are no viewers.

If you were paying attention during the election, as Obama started to pull away in the final couple months CNN started harping on the question of whether people who said they would vote for a black man actually would.

They made us all stayed tuned to find out!
When confronted with this Media Matters report showing that their news commentary heavily favored right wing pundits and Republicans the TV/Cable News Executives explained it away because we had at the time a GOP President and a GOP Controled Congress.....Media Matters went back after the Democrats gained control and nothing had changed.

I don't think it can all be explained away as them wanting controversy...they know who's paying the bills...advertisers.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I watched the interview and it was the worst piece of journalism I have ever seen (if you can call it that). Schaeffer basically blamed the Evangelical movement for the invasion of Iraq -- huh???

D.L. Hughley needs to go to j-school. Hughley basically gave this nutcase free reign to spew off his crazy ideas. To say it was a "miracle" a pro-abortion president was elected and to claim to still be a Christian is hypocracy at its finest.
...Which commandment is "Thou shalt not abort?" There's that one about not killing, but if you support a war (and I suspect you do), then you are already in violation of that one and can't call yourself a Christian.

For that matter, which Biblical verses discuss abortion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies