Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

These two could start their own comedy duo, or maybe a song and dance team, but to think that these two are spouting nonsense on Sunday talk shows is a waste of comedy, and dangerous to boot! There they were, McCain on FoxNews Sunday and Shelby on ABC's This Week, spouting such utter nonsense about the banking system that it's obvious to all Americans that we made the right choice in November.

McCain, "I don't think they've made the right decision, which is to let these banks fail".

Shelby, "Theyve got to close some big banks, they don't want to do it, I don't want to nationalize them. We've got to close them".

Because we all remember how well that "let Lehman Brothers fail" plan worked out so well! Letting Citigroup fail, with its myriad connections to the worldwide banking system, would make the Lehman debacle look like a day at the beach.

About 25% of the corporate bonds in the US are BANK BONDS. If a large chunk of those go in one fell swoop it would make last fall look easy.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
You will recall that, during the 2008 campaign, McCain admitted he knows little about economics. Therefore, I tend to discount his opinions on that subject.

Judging by Shelby's comments, I'd put him in the same class as McCain.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
If it's a poll, the answer is morons...

Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
These two could start their own comedy duo, or maybe a song and dance team, but to think that these two are spouting nonsense on Sunday talk shows is a waste of comedy, and dangerous to boot! There they were, McCain on FoxNews Sunday and Shelby on ABC's This Week, spouting such utter nonsense about the banking system that it's obvious to all Americans that we made the right choice in November.

McCain, "I don't think they've made the right decision, which is to let these banks fail".

Shelby, "Theyve got to close some big banks, they don't want to do it, I don't want to nationalize them. We've got to close them".

Because we all remember how well that "let Lehman Brothers fail" plan worked out so well! Letting Citigroup fail, with its myriad connections to the worldwide banking system, would make the Lehman debacle look like a day at the beach.

About 25% of the corporate bonds in the US are BANK BONDS. If a large chunk of those go in one fell swoop it would make last fall look easy.

golfgod
I would say morons, the market has dropped 40% since Lehman Bros. I don't want to think what would happaen if Citi Group failed.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM

358 posts, read 472,362 times
Did it occur to you that they might be morons on drugs. Or they would rather see the country fail to 3rd world level than to see Obama successful. Traitors of the worst sort.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Shelby's position and since I am a resident of the state he represents, I get to continue to vote him back to Washington. I guess my opinion is much more important in this case than yours.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
They are morons on drugs and much much more.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod
Good, insightful post! Reps to you.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Well how unusual. A bunch of libs name calling and implying drug use instead of actually talking about the points being raised. The funny thing is...we KNOW that their boy Obama used drugs frequently, just assumptions for the two subjects referenced in this thread.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with Shelby's position and since I am a resident of the state he represents, I get to continue to vote him back to Washington. I guess my opinion is much more important in this case than yours.
When your foreign car factory fails along with the jobs it provides, what will Shelby have to offer your state then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies