Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

I'm not 100% sure why the military has this policy and I'm out to lunch about whether it is appropriate or not, despite my stance against homosexuality in general. Now if I were in the military and had to share living space with other women, I might feel uncomfortable if one of my fellow bunkmates is openly lesbian as that would be akin to sharing the space with a guy. This is just my thoughts on the topic as someone who has never served.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
[quote=Packersnut21;7900969]If you hate America why do you live here, easy question.

Emigrating to another country is not as easy as all of the illegals make it look unfortunately. If I could live in a freer European country or even canada, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is also the question of earning a decent living and leaving family and loved ones behind in amerika. But amerika really does get on my nerves.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
[quote=wehotex;7902454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
If you hate America why do you live here, easy question.

Emigrating to another country is not as easy as all of the illegals make it look unfortunately. If I could live in a freer European country or even canada, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is also the question of earning a decent living and leaving family and loved ones behind in amerika. But amerika really does get on my nerves.
Well ... I hope you do get the opportunity to relocate to more utopian countries such Canada or one of the European nations. After experiencing the realities, you just may gain a new appreciation of the US and why it attracts more immigrants than other countries.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Somehow the concept of being fired by the Army doesn't sound like such a terrible fate.

To my mind, it's kind of like being forced to give up a comfortable jail cell and all the great food and good times that come with it.

But what do I know? I was just a lowly draftee with the silly idea that I was supposed to serve my country and keep my mouth shut about whom I was balling.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Somehow the concept of being fired by the Army doesn't sound like such a terrible fate.

To my mind, it's kind of like being forced to give up a comfortable jail cell and all the great food and good times that come with it.

But what do I know? I was just a lowly draftee with the silly idea that I was supposed to serve my country and keep my mouth shut about whom I was balling.
We have an all volunteer force. MANY intend to make the Military their career (my son has 22 years - going for 30).

Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
boy some stereotypes in here! Some of you act like gays can't control their sexual urges! Firing hundreds of Arabic linguists because they are gay is just bizarre and I'm sure not every gay service man who was terminated was caught in a sex act. Frankly I would tell gays not to join the homophobic military. Why put your life on the line for your country when your country won't even protect you?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
They should consider themselves lucky. In a lot of other countries they would have been fired upon.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Because, as we all know, gay people do nothing with their lives but seek other men to ravage.

Except they don't.
You've obviously never been to Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown, MA.

Let's just put it this way. If you have kids, keep them out of the dunes!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
I think Gays should be able to serve openly, but restrict Homosexual activities to off base and out of uniform.
Most gay and straight sexual activities are out of uniform.
Let’s restrict heterosexual activities the same. No photos of families on the desk, no calls home where someone else might hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
And to think that at the same time, the services are now having to take in people with criminal records...
They choose to take people with criminal backgrounds.
See the paragraph and link that I posted above, twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Your post says it all. How little you know and how very little you understand. Some might argue that this post demonstrates how dumb you are to post about something you obviously know very little about.
I’ve been working around DoD for decades and more.
There are a lot of active duty members who are dumb as rocks, please, they’re not the cream of the crop in many cases.
If they were so top-notch they wouldn’t be infantry. They’d be officer corps or IM or special forces;the AF or Navy, at the very least. People don’t get smart because they join the military.

Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Countries that ban homosexuality in the military: Brazil, Cuba, Egypt, Greece, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Syria, Turkey, Venezuela, Yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Know your history. The law has always existed in the military. I brought-up Bill Clinton, not because he is a Democrat nor a Republican (I am neither), but because he made the changes to this law, which is the reason why open homosexual military members are being kicked out.
You’re not telling the whole story here, Ray, I can’t help but believe that it is on purpose.
Clinton had to find the middle ground (compromise) because the Rs didn’t want gays to have equal rights.
Don't ask, don't tell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The policy was introduced as a compromise measure in 1993 and approved by then President Bill Clinton who, while campaigning for the Presidency, had promised to allow all citizens regardless of sexual orientation to serve openly in the military, a departure from the then complete ban on those who are not heterosexual.

The intent of DADT: PageOneQ | President Clinton: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was not meant to sabotage gays' military careers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
They should consider themselves lucky. In a lot of other countries they would have been fired upon.
They have been brutally murdered by other US military members. Not just in other countries, but you knew that.

There’s a chart of discharged military members from all branches of the service 1/2 way down the page (through 2006) Don't ask, don't tell - Wikipedia

You homophobes might want to look at the Criticism from Military Personnel section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You've obviously never been to Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown, MA.
Interesting that you’ve been to P-town and the beach there.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
[quote=msconnie73;7902470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well ... I hope you do get the opportunity to relocate to more utopian countries such Canada or one of the European nations. After experiencing the realities, you just may gain a new appreciation of the US and why it attracts more immigrants than other countries.
I think you quoted me instead of who you meant.

wehotex, if you hate this country as much as you claim you think you would make the effort to leave it no matter how hard. If I lived somewhere I could not stand it would not take me long to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies