Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time to change marijuana laws?
No, they should remain in effect. 9 16.07%
Yes, it should be legalized, regulated and taxed like alcohol. 44 78.57%
Yes, laws against marijuana should be strengthened? 2 3.57%
Hey, dude, what's the questions again? Hand me that brownie. 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times

Advertisements

Judge Larry Korda, one of the Broward judges in the Anna Nicole case, was just arrested for smoking pot.

With not enough money for schools and so much spent on arrests and jailings for marijuana, what do you think? Is it time to legalize and tax marijuana?

Info on Korda arrest from Sun Sentinel: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-broward
At about 2 p.m. Sunday, three officers who were in Stanley Goldman Memorial Park noticed Korda smoking a joint while sitting on the ground next to a tree in the park, Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode said.

"They said they smelled a very strong odor of what they found to be marijuana," Rode said. "They followed the smell to a gentleman sitting under a tree. He was actively smoking the marijuana cigarette as they approached him."

The officers, who were in plain clothes and exercising while on-duty as permitted by department policy, said the joint tested positive for marijuana, Rode said. Most people accused of smoking pot are issued a ticket instead of being arrested, he said.

"The overwhelming majority of people who are detained for a marijuana cigarette are given a notice to appear," Rode said.

The judge, who lives in Hollywood, was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession. Police records said Korda had one marijuana cigarette.

The officers did not know who Korda was until they asked his profession.

"He at no time asked for preferential treatment," he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
it should be legalized,for my thoughts see the thread in politics section...

Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 AM

24 posts, read 123,445 times
Yes it should but thanks to the narrow-minds in power it never will be. The same scenario applies to areas that are dry (no alcohol sales.) The bootleggers are as against going 'wet' as the local religious zealots. It would cut into their profits. I'm sure that drug dealers are against legalization the same as the lawmakers are. We should elect Willie Nelson to Washington DC in 2008. I don't even use marijuana but I believe it does little if any harm at all. Far less than tobacco and alcohol.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:46 AM

I have a theory that if the decision were to be made by secret ballot, it would be legalized and taxed in a heartbeat.

In the 70s, my 86 YO, republican grandmother wanted it to happen. (But then, she had stock in Phillip Morris- LOL!)

Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
I am of the opinion that what you "indulge of" in your own home is your own business.
However once you are out on the roads it is a different story, you do not have the right to put me or my family at risk or even worse your own children should you chose to "indulge" and drive with them in the car.
We have an event here each year that is called "the worlds largest cocktail party" weekend. I can't tell you how many times I have seen folks driving home and they are all over the road. One time I saw a SUV that was covered with their teams flags and banners and the "yoho's" where hanging out of the windows "celebrating" their teams victory for everyone on the highway to hear and keep away from.
Impaired is impaired. Be it from alcohol or pot or even pills
If you indulge no problem hey I enjoy a cocktail or 2 myself, but take a cab or have a designated driver.
I have a friend who is a lawyer and he bought one of those portable "breath analyzers" he said he had a huge wake up call when he thought he was ok to drive but his "reading" was higher than the .08 that is considered over the limit.

JMHO
Karla

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Impaired driving is a bad thing, no matter what the drug, I agree.

We often forget that alcohol is a drug. How many times do you hear "Alcohol AND drugs."? When it should be, "Alcohol and OTHER drugs."

Average adults blow a .02 per alcoholic drink, but there are so many variables as to make that a non-stat. Could be higher, could be lower. And just because the legal limit on alcohol while driving is .08 (in FL), doesn't mean that you aren't impaired at a lower amount. Or that you can not get cited for a lower blood alcohol level.

Designated drivers are the way to go in all cases.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:01 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Ok...I'm the one that asked for a brownie. Can you make that a pot brownie? And a cold glass of milk!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Impaired driving is a bad thing, no matter what the drug, I agree.

We often forget that alcohol is a drug. How many times do you hear "Alcohol AND drugs."? When it should be, "Alcohol and OTHER drugs."

Average adults blow a .02 per alcoholic drink, but there are so many variables as to make that a non-stat. Could be higher, could be lower. And just because the legal limit on alcohol while driving is .08 (in FL), doesn't mean that you aren't impaired at a lower amount. Or that you can not get cited for a lower blood alcohol level.

Designated drivers are the way to go in all cases.
exactly I am what you could call a "cheap date" 2 drinks and I am feeling the effects
when I was younger and smoked a couple times(hey didn't everyone in the late 70s) there is no way I could of gotten behind the wheel of a car
when I was DJing I use to say "drive home safely, or at least give me a headstart"
karla

Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
If Korda is smoking weed what the hell was Seidlin on? Another case of buffonery at it's best. If true I say disbar him A.S.A.P.!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
I think you asked the wrong question. Why, just because a judge broke the law do you inquire if this law should be legalized? If our judges refuse to uphold the law then what credibility do they have? He should lose his job, and if he doesn't I feel sorry for our country; we are in worse shape than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies