Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If your employment agreement stated you were getting a bonus at X period of time,would it be wrong if the company reneged on the contract?
A bonus usually infers that the company is doing well and not ran into the ground by incompetence. If they had turned a profit, they wouldn't be in need of a bail out from taxpayer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
A bonus usually infers that the company is doing well and not ran into the ground by incompetence. If they had turned a profit, they wouldn't be in need of a bail out from taxpayer money.
Obviously not in the cases of these companies....

So what are your thoughts on being denied what was in your contract,would that be right?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
If your employment agreement stated you were getting a bonus at X period of time,would it be wrong if the company reneged on the contract?
Do you have a handle on what is going on here? You conveniently forgot the little ditty about the government saving my ass w/a bailout worth billions. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would feel like the biggest numskull, hypocrite, loser, etc. if I were to take the money, I don't care if there was a contract. ESPECIALLY being the one who was at fault for the whole catastrophe in the first place. Do you have any sense of decency??

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Fiscal responsibility starts in DC. If they didn't want the bailout money to be spent on x or y, then they should have tied those strings to the money. They didn't. It's rather stupid to point the finger when they enabled the problem. You either let these guys (AIG, etc) fail or you bail them out and accept that they are who they are and will operate as they do. (Let's overlook the fact that Congress may have a vested interest in AIG because that's where their pensions are invested---but you know, pay no attention to that). The Govt is blasting bonuses as rewarding mediocrity but it's the Govt who bailed them out. They're the ones rewarding mediocrity. You can't have it both ways. YOu can't demand fiscal responsibility from others, especially business where Govt should have no stake, and yet let Miss America Pelosi jet set around on her princess jet and have Congress spend money like drunken sailors when the Govt works FOR the people. You've got Sylvester-the-Cat Barney Frank pointing fingers at people in his "how dare you" this and that, but he ignored the warnings regarding Fanny and Freddie back in 2001 and again in 2006. You can't be part of the problem and then call foul. You can't blast people for spending a loan if you don't spell out the terms. This is just political posturing to gain favorable public opinion. The feeble and simple-minded will fall for this cr*p.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Do you have a handle on what is going on here? You conveniently forgot the little ditty about the government saving my ass w/a bailout worth billions. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would feel like the biggest numskull, hypocrite, loser, etc. if I were to take the money, I don't care if there was a contract. ESPECIALLY being the one who was at fault for the whole catastrophe in the first place. Do you have any sense of decency??
Who do you work for?
I thought someone had mentioned you were a government employee...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Who do you work for?
I thought someone had mentioned you were a government employee...
I myself have mentioned it. Your point?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I myself have mentioned it. Your point?
The government is running at a loss....is in the red basically.

Lets hope you aren't wanting any entitlements as is in your contract....

Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionwhy View Post
Obama blasts AIG 'outrage,' will try to block bonuses - CNN.com

Isnt it great to have a president who cares about the working people, you gotta love Obama, I think he is gonna turn out to be one of the great ones, if he can clean up the mess Bush and Reagan left us with, I think he should be ranked up there with Lincoln, Washington and what Kennedy might have been, lets hope he doesnt recieve the same fate as Kennedy

quite the little dictator, huh?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Obama is simply pandering to the masses.

Funny how many people complained about execs flying in private planes but do not seem to have a problem with Pelosi using military aircraft to go home...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM

182 posts, read 103,424 times
Quote:
Obama is simply pandering to the masses.

Funny how many people complained about execs flying in private planes but do not seem to have a problem with Pelosi using military aircraft to go home...

waaa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies