Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM

553 posts, read 837,454 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Obama's administration turns on money printing machine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,977,938 times
This is a surprise?

The only two ways America can reconcile its insurmountable debt is either to default or hyperinflate. The latter ensures bigger gubmint and more control, and is the desired option for comrade commissars in DC high command.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,322,590 times
Since when is debt of 60% of GDP insurmountable? Have you seen how many 1st world countries have 200% or even 250% of GDP in national debt? This level is still quite moderate and manageable especially since virtually all of it is covered by borrowing and not printing. Now, the Fed is increasing printing because it is trying to spark a bit of inflation in order to combat the current deflation we are experiencing but this is only about 1% or so and no where near enough to cause hyper inflation especially in a deflationary environment. Price stability is after all the Feds primary responsibility so they work to combat inflation and deflation in order to produce price stability. This is exactly what the fed is doing right now.

Please don't let facts get in the way of your rantings though. I WILL remember your name, ViewFromThePeak, though just so I can rub your face in your own poo after your hysterical rantings about hyperinflation don't come true. You will be named and shamed repeatedly and often. Mark my words.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Since when is debt of 60% of GDP insurmountable? Have you seen how many 1st world countries have 200% or even 250% of GDP in national debt? This level is still quite moderate and manageable especially since virtually all of it is covered by borrowing and not printing. Now, the Fed is increasing printing because it is trying to spark a bit of inflation in order to combat the current deflation we are experiencing but this is only about 1% or so and no where near enough to cause hyper inflation especially in a deflationary environment. Price stability is after all the Feds primary responsibility so they work to combat inflation and deflation in order to produce price stability. This is exactly what the fed is doing right now.

Please don't let facts get in the way of your rantings though. I WILL remember your name, ViewFromThePeak, though just so I can rub your face in your own poo after your hysterical rantings about hyperinflation don't come true. You will be named and shamed repeatedly and often. Mark my words.
Please do remember my name, just as others have during 2005 when I said the housing bubble will burst hard on Usenet forums or last year when I said Fannie and Freddie would fail (search on CD for this prediction ).

It's also funny because the current GDP is a farce based on phoney consumption that even the almighty gubmint cannot replenish.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The only two ways America can reconcile its insurmountable debt is either to default or hyperinflate.
No, we can just continue to service the debt, which is all that anyone has ever intended that we do. We have never paid off our Civil War debts, or those arising from WWI or WWII or the Reagan adminsitration. We will never pay off that debt, and we won't pay off the debt we undertake today either.

Your hyperinflation theory is complete bunk. It appears to take no account at all of the recent loss of more than $15 trillion in wealth. It is exteremly unlikely that there will be any period of significant inflation durting Obama's first term.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, we can just continue to service the debt, which is all that anyone has ever intended that we do. We have never paid off our Civil War debts, or those arising from WWI or WWII or the Reagan adminsitration. We will never pay off that debt, and we won't pay off the debt we undertake today either.

Your hyperinflation theory is complete bunk. It appears to take no account at all of the recent loss of more than $15 trillion in wealth. It is exteremly unlikely that there will be any period of significant inflation durting Obama's first term.
I may disagree with you on a lot of things: but; this time you are probably spot-on IMHO.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I may disagree with you on a lot of things: but; this time you are probably spot-on IMHO.
The deflation phase is just about over now, and the sucker's rally in the dollar is toast.

When gold goes up $70 an ounce in a day, it's a teeny tiny hint of things to come.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

I agree with you Sag, with the additional provision in that I think inflation will start to rise about 4-5 years out (but it won't reach double digits).

Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Please do remember my name, just as others have during 2005 when I said the housing bubble will burst hard on Usenet forums or last year when I said Fannie and Freddie would fail (search on CD for this prediction ).

It's also funny because the current GDP is a farce based on phoney consumption that even the almighty gubmint cannot replenish.
Careful there, aren't you the guy who predicted $200 a barrel oil, and $5 per gallon gas, within the next month or so?

Just in case you don't recall:

//www.city-data.com/forum/3752654-post1.html

Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
The deflation phase is just about over now, and the sucker's rally in the dollar is toast.

When gold goes up $70 an ounce in a day, it's a teeny tiny hint of things to come.
Nah, it will bounce around, but I think you will find gold a bit disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies