Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,797,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Sanford is a grandstanding SOB with big political ambitions who makes a lot of noise to woo the base but will end up taking the bucks.

Without jobs there will be no economy, period, and he knows it. The whole purpose of the money is to help states put people to work.

The stimulus may not work even at that if the economy doesn't catch fire and start to build on the jump start, but from what I have seen there has been no other plan put forward that would accomplish anything.

Cutting taxes and deregulation didn't work for Bush, and won't work now. Taxes were cut, jobs were exported. South Carolina is one of the states hardest hit by jobs sent overseas, and currently has the dubious distinction of being one of the most unemployed states in the nation.

Ask Leader Mark what he intends to do about that and get back to us, somebody. He led S.C. into the Sea of Red Ink. Let him lead it out.
Cue I think that letter was very well written stating his case. Understand that 'stimulous' when americans are seeing such an enormous debt about to be placed on the books, is completely counter intuitive. Everyone feels itchy about it. Most of america really is fiscal conservative. Most americans do cut back and budget responsibly. When they get laid off, they turn off the cablevision and scrutinize those rainy day funds instinctively.

I understand many feeling that government doesn't work for them, because all too often, it flounders, or gets circumvented by legal antics. Crooks in 3 piece suits have been the news of the day for years. I'd like you to entertain the possibility that Sanford is sincere, even if you believe misguided in his concerns for just a few. Fiscal conservatives in preservation mode cannot make that leap for stimulous unless there is a viable plan on the table. What plan can SC devise for itself that would begin paying for itself in 2 years besides Sanfords plan?

As described, and certainly the devil would be in the details, his debt repayment would free up more money for long term, and allow tax reductions to occur (which would ammount to a trickle down stimulous). Unless there's crucial infrastructure demanding investment capital, what makes you convinced his plan wouldn't serve the objective of stimulous albiet indirectly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,259,008 times
Well-written letters can be composed of total BS, you know, and the WSJ has taken a hard turn to the right in the last year or so, to the point that they are pushing Fox pretty hard in the believability of their editoral content.

This particular letter underscores the fact that he is merely grandstanding. He will be "safely out of office" in two years, and he has his sights set on the White House.

S.C. is in a financial hole? Sure is. How did it get there? No one knows, but the S.C. government has been overrun with republicans for forty years or so, and the citizens of this state will vote republican even when it is in direct opposition to their best interests.

I am still trying to figure out whether Sanford even has the authority under state law here to refuse anything. If I am not mistaken the legislature has the final say in the matter.

How does Sanford operate?

In 2004 Sanford wanted to sell the Santee-Cooper public utility, South Carolina's most valuable property, to raise cash to finance his proposed state budget. He went so far as to try to get Santee's bonds downgraded on Wall Street so that the property would attract more interest among potential buyers. Why the SEC didn't prosecute him is beyond knowing. He has tried again a couple of times and been rebuffed. South carolina will be a far better place when he finally leaves.

I will sit pat with my earlier posts, thank you. Here are a couple of links to the Santee controversy if you are interested.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-1008294_ITM

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-118554766.html

http://www.fitsnews.com/2007/06/28/santee-cooper-here-we-go-again/

Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,037,029 times
Even if he does take the money, Sanford will find some way to monkey with it so he can use it the way he wants to.

S.C has never minded thumbing its nose at presidents...Obama is no different.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:32 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,718,814 times
I'm proud to call him my governor, unlike my previous rino AH-NALD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies