Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 AM

413 posts, read 782,822 times

Advertisements

Israeli official says Iran attack "unavoidable" - International Herald Tribune

Quote:
An Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear sites looks "unavoidable" given the apparent failure of sanctions to deny Tehran technology with bomb-making potential, one of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's deputies said on Friday.
UNBELIEVABLE. What about Israel's nuclear installations??? No international agency has EVER visited them!

The price of oil is skyrocketing on rumors that Israel will attack Iran.

Last edited by Frenchman; 06-07-2008 at 03:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM

413 posts, read 782,822 times
Exclamation 77-page report: Iran, Israel and Nuclear War

Asia Times Online :: Middle East News, Iraq, Iran current affairs
http://www.csis.org/media/csis/pubs/...nuclearwar.pdf

Quote:
When the nukes start dropping ...
By Julian Delasantellis

"..."

The first and core scenario of the report involves a nuclear exchange between Israel and Iran, some time between 2010 and 2020.

"..."

The rest of the report speculates on various other assorted scenarios for Mid-East Armageddon. Syria, generally assumed to be many years away from possessing a nuclear capacity, might, for some reason, decide to launch a CBW (chemical, biological weapon) missile strike on Israeli population centers.

Israeli dead under this scenario would once again be between 200,000 and 800,000. Recovery, however, would be quicker, since this type attack spares civilian buildings and infrastructure. Syria, with 80% of its population concentrated in just 11 cities, would suffer between 6 million and 18 million dead in a counterattack; the higher number would represent about 95% of its estimated 2007 population. Not since the Roman destruction of Carthage at the end of the Third Punic War in 146 BC would one nation have made another suffer so dearly as punishment for losing a war.

Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran - Times Online

Quote:
Israel has drawn up secret plans to destroy Iran’s uranium enrichment facilities with tactical nuclear weapons.

Last edited by Frenchman; 06-07-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
Not secret anymore, huh? And rightly so, neither you nor I will know what gives in the background, for it's not your sovereignty nor mine that has been threatened, at least as much.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
That would be a really bad move on Israel's part. It is very unlikely that Russia and China would just sit around and watch Israel nuke Iran. Then that would pull us into the mess. I know lots of religious nutcases want to see the end of the world but most of us are not quite ready just yet. And even if the world didn't end, if you think gas is high now....

Old 06-07-2008, 02:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That would be a really bad move on Israel's part. It is very unlikely that Russia and China would just sit around and watch Israel nuke Iran. Then that would pull us into the mess. I know lots of religious nutcases want to see the end of the world but most of us are not quite ready just yet. And even if the world didn't end, if you think gas is high now....
For once I agree with KevK...
What indications other than rhetoric has Iran given that would warrant an attack from Israel?
Israel of course has contingency plans in place, Iran is after all less than friendly towards Israel. This does not make it acceptable for Israel to do the deed.
Would china and Russia involve themselves in a war? Most likely only a supporting roll. ie weapons.
Syria however would get involved. Many Arab countries would ralley to the side of Iran regardless of the fact Iranians are not arab. They are however muslem.
What of Iraq, afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan? Pretty sure one or more those countries might take a side and not with us.
Once again little Israel is stiring the pot for big brother.. Once again we will pay dearly for a very one sided partnership.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
For once I agree with KevK...
What indications other than rhetoric has Iran given that would warrant an attack from Israel?
Israel of course has contingency plans in place, Iran is after all less than friendly towards Israel. This does not make it acceptable for Israel to do the deed.
Would china and Russia involve themselves in a war? Most likely only a supporting roll. ie weapons.
Syria however would get involved. Many Arab countries would ralley to the side of Iran regardless of the fact Iranians are not arab. They are however muslem.
What of Iraq, afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan? Pretty sure one or more those countries might take a side and not with us.
Once again little Israel is stiring the pot for big brother.. Once again we will pay dearly for a very one sided partnership.
It would be VERY BAD no matter how it was cut. The Arabs would say that we gave them the bomb and told them to do it and, like I said, at the very least, we would be dreaming of the days we paid $4 a gallon for gas. Gas, if you even get it still, would be $20 or more a gallon and you probably would not need it because the economy would be in shambles. It would make 1932 look like the "good old days". At worse other nations such as Russia would jump in and we'd have a nuclear exchange and life as we know it would come to an end.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:52 PM

250 posts, read 336,169 times
While I do hope they wait for an attack against them first, I hope Israel turns Iran into a sheet of glass.

It has been Iran 's saber-rattling played down in the media, and Israel's calm and measured responses that the media portray as evil.

Go ahead, make their day. And mine!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:54 PM

250 posts, read 336,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It would be VERY BAD no matter how it was cut. The Arabs would say that we gave them the bomb and told them to do it and, like I said, at the very least, we would be dreaming of the days we paid $4 a gallon for gas. Gas, if you even get it still, would be $20 or more a gallon and you probably would not need it because the economy would be in shambles. It would make 1932 look like the "good old days". At worse other nations such as Russia would jump in and we'd have a nuclear exchange and life as we know it would come to an end.
Yes. Rationing again. SUVs parked. 10 gallons per week per license plate number. Remember the 70s? I, for one, welcome it. It's that or blindly hope that somehow the Arabs will drop oil prices. Bwahahahhahahah! Yeah, uh huh.

Russia is smarter than that. M.A.D. will prevent them from launching on us. They may play with an ally, which is gray area and may get us into a situation you described. But whomever attacks Israel, whether Russia or Iran, will have their clocks cleaned and handed back in a box COD.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
While I do hope they wait for an attack against them first, I hope Israel turns Iran into a sheet of glass.

It has been Iran 's saber-rattling played down in the media, and Israel's calm and measured responses that the media portray as evil.

Go ahead, make their day. And mine!
I can't think of a single reason for the destruction of any country, though I have not one good thought about Israel and its abuse of its victim status. That you look forward to war, to the deaths of millions of innocent civilians whose only "crime" was to be born in a country you don't like, is so vast an immoral gesture that I cannot conceive a "calm and measured" response. I can suggest, however, that you could make someone else's day and be there for a front row seat.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Yes. Rationing again. SUVs parked. 10 gallons per week per license plate number. Remember the 70s? I, for one, welcome it. It's that or blindly hope that somehow the Arabs will drop oil prices. Bwahahahhahahah! Yeah, uh huh.

Russia is smarter than that. M.A.D. will prevent them from launching on us. They may play with an ally, which is gray area and may get us into a situation you described. But whomever attacks Israel, whether Russia or Iran, will have their clocks cleaned and handed back in a box COD.
Iran might say things for political consumption but they will not attack Israel. Especially with nuclear weapons. Because if they did, it would be the end of Iran. And, like I said, Israel would be wise to adopt the MAD policy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies