Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I guess that is what happens here with threads that are about the same or similar topics....and if any of you see threads NOT being merged send a DM to make them aware of the situation.

We wouldn't like it to seem the rules were not being applied fairly and impartially.
Equal time, should EVERY gun thread be merged? It's a complex question and talking about the aspects is what winds up being discussed. Not all gun threads ought to be merged.

Teabagging topic- Easy enough when all the 'anti' spin off threads (which were ramifications of the original anti) get moshed into a pile but the pro teabagging threads are preserved as precious free speech.

Doesn't the independence party merit it's own thread for reaction input when 3rd party candidates are representing 35% of the population??? Maybe they don't give a rats behind what republicans or dems want?

When the so-called grass roots organization is orchestrated into being from top down authority, that's not a legit spin off thread???

Promotional teabagging (left untouched, not merged.) Create 3 polls with a subtly different angle-- no problem, right? Here are a few examples, but not all of them.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ica-would.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ington-dc.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ties-here.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rent-word.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...a-parties.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...americans.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...arty-news.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-ratings.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...commander.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hard-talk.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...about-tax.html

I suppose the anti teabag thread participants can just hijack these threads. People already sorted out the issues in large part by creating separate threads. Spin off threads should be respected for their purpose of keeping topics ON thread within reasonable limits.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
When the first gulf war started, I had a six year old child. A woman in our community wrote a letter to the editor stating that she took HER 6 yr old to an anti-war protest, and the child became extremely frightened and agitated. Now I don't really know what her point was, complaining to the newspaper that her kid got scared. I thought, of course, a 6 yr old is going to be frightened of a lot of people yelling, screaming, carrying signs, etc. Even though these "tea parties" were by all indications non-violent, a huge crush of people waving signs could be very scary for young children. You never know what's going to happen at gatherings like this.

When my daughter was 8, we were watching Dan Quayle and Al Gore debate on TV. They keep interrupting each other, getting angry and being generally obnoxious (both of them), and my DD got scared.

These things are just not for young children.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM

471 posts, read 587,171 times
On the plaza steps in Dallas there where a few children dancing around to the music and enjoying themselves quite a bit. Seemed fine to me. I guess every other protest was violent and bigoted but the one in Dallas? Totally joking of course...

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Most of the children at the Tulsa TEA Party were home schooled. They were there to learn about their constitutional rights and be a part of history in the making.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
The rally in my area was almost entirely populated by retired people. I.e. the ones taking OUT of the system, not those putting in.
They are taking OUT of the system WHAT THEY ALREADY PUT IN.

Were you actually there, or are reporting what you saw on your local news?

I attended, and the people there were mostly SELF EMPLOYED. The largest employer in the country, and the most ignored. And despite the rumor that everyone there was rich, it was just plain and simple middle class taxpayers.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Think about reality, they just spent how many trillion $$$$? How do you think that'll get paid back without raising taxes?
Oh, we'll just raise taxes on business and corporations and remove those pesky tax deductions right? As has been said many,many times before when you raise taxes on business and corporations THEY don't pay it, WE do with the increased cost of goods.
Again, all this spending has to be paid for somehow so who exactly do you think is going to pay for it or do you think a tax fairy is going to come by and take care of it?

The problem is many on the left boil it down to a "you hate Obama" if you complain thing but I am not saying that.
I fully blame congress for this mess and Obama needs to learn how to use the veto stamp soon.
1. Bolded portion is 100% true. Taxes- How many decades have we been spending more than we make (with exception of clinton years)? See state of alaskas tax structure around oil. Very creative math! Cost shifting can be authored anywhere you'd like it to go.

2. the one time we're justified in using a credit card to prevent a full blown depression overnight, people are upset but throw in their displeasure about abortion & school prayer in complaints. I'm glad you're not one of them blaming policy on 'blackness' or any other dumb ass nonsense. Obama does something wrong, he needs to be called on it for real. My own anti- teabag sentiments are all about that issue right there-- failure to articulate legitimate complaints.

3. how will we pay for this runnup spending? Not all of the $$$ is stimulus. How much is loan w/interest payments? How much is treasury dept buying up free floating assets that have future returns involved? How much is actual stimulus? If stimulus money is spent wisely, how much of it will return as tax revenue?

4. The (inflation) money in the printing press machine... how much will not see the light of day because the banks are returning it as unneccessary? Just right now it's still mostly virgin money... we're not out of the woods yet, but I believe it's been a strategic move. Time will tell.

5. the artificial wealth machine must be dealt with first before we can shift gears to be a more productive economy. We need to produce more to raise GDP. CBO statistics use GDP benchmark in a hollow correlation. Their numbers will look even worse as unemployment trends continue. GDP accurate measures, considering 40% of our economy was happening in finance... how much of that 40% was artificial wealth??? The (accounting) books getting revised for 30 +yrs would reveal a different picture if that work ever gets published. I suspect working up honest math won't get published in timely fashion when investor confidence is a life wire issue. Some records get sealed, some information is protected/ classified, for reasons ordinary people don't get to know.

6. Paying back debt during clinton years meant $100 extra tax payments per year for me. I had no problem with that seeing the deficit clock going backwards everyday. Agreed we must get lean & disciplined, but not so far that it stiffles growth. That's when fiscal conservativism can go too austere in it's destructive form. Every ideology has a dark side, including the one I hold.

7. IMF perspective we're due for massive restructuring in finance regulation, and our debt abroad has the potential for being negotiated to reasonable levels considering all these other economies have been in effect leaning on ours since inception. I believe it's time we called in some chips of our own.

8. We can save considerable $$$ by not having 5,000 military bases scattered throughout the globe. Strategic positioning can better be accomplished by leasing territory as needed from another soveriegn. Just an idea, but one I think libertarians would agree on.

9. 100 billion in annual losses from offshore tax havens is another thread I started. Meaningful reform of finance & taxation can't ignore that subject, and it does come into play in % about teabagger legit complaints about where is the money to pay back going to come from.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Do Libs actually pay taxes? Or are all of you on welfare??

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

These things are just not for young children.
Oh I think they are. It's important our children learn about having a public voice and knowing about history, politics and culture. They need to know about what makes this country go round.

I guess if you want your kids to exist in a bubble and get turned out in the world at 18 totally clueless about anything, go for it and join the club. Being uninformed seems to be in style these days.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Do not insult my parenting. I was talking about 6 and 8 year old children. My kids have turned out just fine, thank you very much. In a month, one will graduate with a BS in biology and the other with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Pretty good for kids who were never taken to a protest rally as young kids. One kid went to such a rally on her own in college, a more appropriate time to do such things. They both went to see Obama last fall.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
You think the tea parties are lunatics on the fringe?

History Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies