Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As Obama said he doesn't agree with leagalizing marijuana will help anything. Dead issue that potheads dream about IMO.
I'm not a "pothead" and I'm in favor of legalization. I hardly even like to drink coffee everyday.

If you didn't smoke, would you support other people's right to smoke? If you didn't drink, would you support other people's right to drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Study or not, unfortunately I think most of the present drug laws will remain intact, including the ridiculous laws against pot.

You've got too many special interest groups on the drug war gravy train..cops, judges, prison guards etc. It all stinks.
De-criminalize pot possession laws - I don't want to spend $20k a year to house a pot-head in jail. Someone commits a crime while on dope, that's a different story. Change the laws to enable huge fines against major drug dealers - jail them, and bankrupt them at the same time, use the money to fund drug prevention strategies. Use the IRS to go after the drug money much the way they did against the liquor bootleggers.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
We absolutely need to end the "war on drugs," it's just a war on freedom, leaving lots of innocent people killed or hurt with no knock raids, raiding the wrong house, corrupt police planting evidence, etc.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Jim Webb: Pot Legalization Could Be Part Of Criminal Justice Overhaul

Sen. Jim Webb, fresh off his passage of an historic expansion of the GI Bill, has found a new issue: the criminal justice system. And when Webb, a Virginia Democrat, sets his legislative sites on a priority, his colleagues pay attention.On Thursday, Webb, along with the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), introduced a bill to create a commission that would undertake an 18-month study of the criminal justice system (http://webb.senate.gov/email/criminaljusticereform.html - broken link)and come back with legislative recommendations.

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Webb said that everything should be considered. And he means everything."I think everything should be on the table, and we specifically say that we want recommendations on how to deal with drug policy in our country. And we'll get it to the people who have the credibility and the expertise and see what they come up with," said Webb.
Bravo Sen. Webb!
NY is repealing the 'Rockefeller' drug laws, the AG says that the Feds will no longer over-ride states rights with regard to medicinal marijuana, and many people are realizing that the US simply cannot afford to keep spending money on a useless 'war.'
Seems like the stars have finally aligned to bring some rational and practical discussion to this situation.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Obama is an idiot. Changing drug laws will help the economy and that is as clear as day.

New York to Ease Landmark Tough Drug Laws : Top News Stories at Officer.com (http://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=45993 - broken link)

Quote:
The planned changes would eliminate mandatory minimum terms for some low-level nonviolent drug felonies, cutting the prison population by thousands.
Quote:
it costs the state $45,000 a year to house offenders and that the changes are expected to eventually reduce the state's prison population by 13,000 people, producing huge cost savings.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
LOL I'm NORML,... are you?
+1 to you msina. I'm as NORML as can be.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
One of the few things I agree with on Obama... he does not think marijuana should be legalized.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
There's a study that was done on the clinical effects of marijuana back in 1944. It was largely ignored.
LaGuardia Committee Report on Marihuana (1944) - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There's a study that was done on the clinical effects of marijuana back in 1944. It was largely ignored.
LaGuardia Committee Report on Marihuana (1944) - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org
I'm sure that these silly things called "facts" all got lost in the Reefer Madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies