Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times

Advertisements

Just because you "want" something to be true or agree with it doesn't innately make it true.

First of all, there is no "data". A guy claiming to "dig deep" through various documents does not a scientific claim make. So, every claim on here is bogus from a scientific perspective.

Second of all, if you can't understand how my statements explain different approaches to the world that are not covered in this work of propaganda, then perhaps we need to reassess this author's claims about generalities.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
O-P-I-N-I-O-N, peppered with dubious stats, masquerading as fact.

Silliness.

Furthermore, it's more of this stupid "us against them" mentality. Yeesh. We do not live in a red-and-blue country, in terms of politics. Most folks I know are purple. At least folks who haven't bought one party or the other's platform, hook, line, and sinker.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
New York Times best-selling author Peter Schweizer destroys popular notions that liberals give more to charity, care more about others, and are happier than conservatives.

According to liberals conservatives are ignorant, selfish, and hypocritical. Liberals are enlightened, generous, and honest. Or so we've been told for. . . oh, the last three generations or so. But now comes compelling new evidence that these popular stereotypes are not only false, they're the near opposites of the truth.
Synopsis- In Makers and Takers you will discover why:
* Seventy-one percent of conservatives say you have an obligation to care for a seriously injured spouse or parent versus less than half (46 percent) of liberals.
* Conservatives have a better work ethic and are much less likely to call in sick than their liberal counterparts.
* Liberals are 2½ times more likely to be resentful of others' success and 50 percent more likely to be jealous of other people"s good luck.
* Liberals are 2 times more likely to say it is okay to cheat the government out of welfare money you don't deserve.
* Conservatives are more likely than liberals to hug their children and "significantly more likely” to display positive nurturing emotions.
* Liberals are less trusting of family members and much less likely to stay in touch with their parents.
* Do you get satisfaction from putting someone else"s happiness ahead of your own? Fifty-five percent of conservatives said yes versus only 20 percent of liberals.
* Rush Limbaugh, Ronald Reagan, Bill O’Reilly and Dick Cheney have given large sums of money to people in need, while Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, Michael Moore, and Al Gore have not.
* Those who are "very liberal” are 3 times more likely than conservatives to throw things when they get angry.
The American left prides itself on being superior to conservatives: more generous, less materialistic, more tolerant, more intellectual, and more selfless. For years scholars have constructed—and the media has pushed—elaborate theories designed to demonstrate that conservativessuffer from a host of personality defects and character flaws. According to these supposedly unbiased studies, conservatives are mean-spirited, greedy, selfish malcontents with authoritarian tendencies. Far from the belief of a few cranks, prominent liberals from John Kenneth Galbraith to Hillary Clinton have succumbed to these prejudices. But what do the facts show?
Peter Schweizer has dug deep—through tax documents, scholarly data, primary opinion research surveys, and private records—and has discovered that these claims are a myth. Indeed, he shows that many of these claims actually apply more to liberals than conservatives. Much as he did in his bestseller Do as I Say (Not as I Do), he brings to light never-before-revealed facts that will upset conventional wisdom.
Conservatives such as Ronald Reagan and Robert Bork have long argued that liberal policies promote social decay. Schweizer, using the latest data and research, exposes how, in general:
* Liberals are more self-centered than conservatives.
* Conservatives are more generous and charitable than liberals.
* Liberals are more envious and less hardworking than conservatives.
* Conservatives value truth more than liberals, and are less prone to cheating and lying.
* Liberals are more angry than conservatives.
* Conservatives are actually more knowledgeable than liberals.
* Liberals are more dissatisfied and unhappy than conservatives.
Schweizer argues that the failure lies in modern liberal ideas, which foster a self-centered, “if it feels good do it” attitude that leads liberals to outsource their responsibilities to the government and focus instead on themselves and their own desires.

Jonah Goldberg also wrote a piece of propaganda called "Liberal Fascism" that 26% of booger eating rightwingers took as the Gospel.

The thing is, the bottom 1/4 of Americans in intellect will believe about anything. In fact, this same 1/4 will deny climate change is affected by manmade pollution and use of fossil fuels.

There is a reason they are in the bottom 1/4 of intellect. They like being lied to. They subscribe to an alternate reality, and these bits of commentary help speed the process

Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This just goes in hand with the Psychologist that studied liberals and said they have a mental disease....

It is about time articles like this come to light as it is true.

Great Job with this thread!
The one employed by the Bush Admin., who had a show on FOX, and came on after Sean Insanity.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,637,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Just because you "want" something to be true or agree with it doesn't innately make it true.

First of all, there is no "data". A guy claiming to "dig deep" through various documents does not a scientific claim make. So, every claim on here is bogus from a scientific perspective.

Second of all, if you can't understand how my statements explain different approaches to the world that are not covered in this work of propaganda, then perhaps we need to reassess this author's claims about generalities.
We only need to look here on CD to see the "data" for ourselves..

On this forum I have read the nastiest comments about Bush, Cheny, Rumsfeld, Rove, Ann Coulter, Rush, Savage and Sarah Palin. You liberals have no shortage of expleetives when it comes to them. However when it comes to Obama (no experience, hangs out with known racist, a domestic terrorist, an illegal aunt, and a grandma that conviently dies the day before the election), his America hating wife, Hillary, the tax cheating cabinet, Pelosi, Murtha, Odorman, Durbin...suddenly you are tounge tied. We conservatives wear our prejudices out on our sleeve, but you libs claim to be tolerant of everything, when in fact, you are tolerant of nothing.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

On this forum I have read the nastiest comments about Bush, Cheny, Rumsfeld, Rove, Ann Coulter, Rush, Savage and Sarah Palin. You liberals have no shortage of expleetives when it comes to them. However when it comes to Obama (no experience, hangs out with known racist, a domestic terrorist, an illegal aunt, and a grandma that conviently dies the day before the election), his America hating wife, Hillary, the tax cheating cabinet, Pelosi, Murtha, Odorman, Durbin...suddenly you are tounge tied. We conservatives wear our prejudices out on our sleeve, but you libs claim to be tolerant of everything, when in fact, you are tolerant of nothing.

Do you need me to supply definitions of 'data' and 'anecdote'?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

Whether you're liberal, conservative or independent, people like Ann Coulter deserve the wrath for being hate-mongering human beings.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, liberals tend to focus their charity through government programs via voluntary taxation.

Liberals also tend to be far more cognizant of the problems of the world (ecological catastrophes, poverty, etc...) and therefore carry a great deal of the world's burden on their shoulders. In my experience, most conservatives I know rather enjoy the bubble of immediate family and don't worry too much about the rest.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but it explains the "happiness" quotient.
"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know."
- Ernest Hemingway, author and journalist, Nobel laureate (1899-1961)

Old 03-28-2009, 04:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,493,607 times
Peter Schweizer...one of Bill O'Reilly's favorite authors and a guy who believes that Reagan won the Cold War. Why am I thinking that his credibility might be suspect...

Old 03-28-2009, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This just goes in hand with the Psychologist that studied liberals and said they have a mental disease....

It is about time articles like this come to light as it is true.

Great Job with this thread!
Yeah, right. I'm sure that's supported by research, not! It's incredible that people will believe such drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies