Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: language do republicans mean with "we want smaller government"?
Do you mean "more efficient"?
If you mean more efficient, then why in the hell do you always ask for "smaller government"?

Or are you saying that the less people there are in the government, the less corrupt it is?
That would make Bush beloved China the less corrupt country in the World (Communist country)

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-30-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Repubs want the government out of the economy. Too bad they won't extend their dislike of government interference to the issue of people's private lives.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Not necessarily. Efficiency should be a goal, because big government means more levels of bureaucracy, and less being accomplished. Small government means less intervention in the lives of ordinary Americans. Of course, small government is not devoid of corruption. If you need evidence of that, take a look at post-Civil War business practice and the Gilded Age.

In a sense it is the Conservative/Libertarian mantra of as little government as possible; Enough to from a social safety net, provide for the common defense, and maintain business guidelines. It also goes hand in hand with Fiscal Conservatism and not spending more than you have, not going to war unless there is an immediate threat to the US, and not bailing out failing companies.

That is what smaller government is about.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
They always use the term "smaller" government but the never say how they would achieve this smaller government short of cutting welfare programs for "those people". ( A miniscule part of the budget)

See?

If they told Americans the truth...that they want to cut the FDA, the EPA, the FEC, Social Security, money for National Parks, money for the mentally ill, money for children in poverty, medicare, etc......they be laughed out of office completely....So they only use the general term...."smaller government" hoping they can get away with it. .......Hence they talk about "Obama's teleprompter" and "Obama's birth certificate" hoping and praying nobody ask them to explain their budget.
( Which the media lets them get away with)

Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In a sense it is the Conservative/Libertarian mantra of as little government as possible; Enough to from a social safety net, provide for the common defense, and maintain business guidelines. It also goes hand in hand with Fiscal Conservatism and not spending more than you have, not going to war unless there is an immediate threat to the US, and not bailing out failing companies.

That is what smaller government is about.
"Smaller government" sounds to mean like "Pro-business government"

I'm leftwing, but I'd be fine with a "Pro-business government" as long as businesses don't use anybody built or paid by the government with our tax money: police, firefighters, paved roads, our electricity, our clean water and our wastewater treatment plants.

If they don't do that (very much like running a business in Africa)
Yes, I'm fine with businesses not paying taxes and doing anything they want.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
"Smaller government" sounds to mean like "Pro-business government"

I'm leftwing, but I'd be fine with a "Pro-business government" as long as businesses don't use anybody built or paid by the government with our tax money: police, firefighters, paved roads, our electricity, our clean water and our wastewater treatment plants.
I suppose I can agree with that. However, if you wish for me to take 'left wing' points seriously, you should tell padcrasher to back off and stop ruining your case.

I much prefer our police and fire departments to be left in the hands of state and local governments; Paid for by our state sales and income taxes. Some things need to be in government hands, while others need to be in control by the private sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If they don't do that (very much like running a business in Africa)
Yes, I'm fine with businesses not paying taxes and doing anything they want.
No, businesses should be paying taxes. Our military is funded almost 100% by the corporate tax. If we do not have that, we do not have national defense, and there goes one of the primary reasons for the existence of government.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,434 times
Small government is one which minimizes its own activities. In its "perfect" form, minarchism, the state confines itself to foreign policy, defense and law while leaving other activities to local government, companies and individuals.
It is a concept important to classical liberalism and libertarianism.

Neither Republicans or democrats practice this concept!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
To O.P.
Try reading the Constitution.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
To O.P.
Try reading the Constitution.
Oh, that's old hat gibberish written by oppressive slaveowners.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
1) "Big government" - I don't think this term is used by anyone on the globe, except Americans. All countries have governments, some of which are corrupt and inefficient and many people protest the waste and corruption of their governments. Still they don't delegitimize the basic idea of government and don't use the term "too big".
2) Big or small depend on what the citizens of this country expect from it, not a figure in $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies