Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It is not always possible to avoid smokers although I make every effort to do so. You can only hold your breath for so long. When you are waiting at a bus stop and someone next to you lights up, there are limited places for me to go as I need to wait for a bus.
Walk 15 feet upwind and wait there. The bus driver will see you...

Look, I get why you're so against smoking. The problem with your arguments is that they're based on emotion instead of logic.

I'm not going to engage you any further on this subject for that reason. Nothing will make you waver in your position in any way, and you've already made up your mind about the type of people that smokers are. I wonder how many great friendships you've missed out on because of it...

Have a good night, Connie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the non-smokers infringing on our personal freedoms because "cigarettes are icky."

Ahh, now we come to why you're all over this thread. The death of the person you knew is truly a sad thing. I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant way to go, and I hope it wasn't anyone you were very close to. That said, I think that because of this, you're totally unable to look at the issue of second hand smoke objectively. It's an impossibility. It's unfortunate that you're so close minded and unwilling to see the propaganda for what it is, but I understand why that's the case.
The world would be a better place if we did not have to deal with the selfishness of smokers who do not care how their habits affect those around them. I have always been against cigarette smoke, even as a young child who was forced to breath in the cigarette smoke of several family members. There was no way for me to avoid them, especially in a vehicle. Although smokers are used to the smoke, second hand cigarette smoke causes many non-smokers extreme discomfort and breathing issues. When my former supervisor died of lung cancer, it only drove home the point that the harm from cigarettes is real. You are deluding yourself if you honestly believe that no harm would befall you if you persist in smoking as your cigarette smoke is full of toxins that no one should be breathing in.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
The world would be a better place if we did not have to deal with the selfishness of smokers who do not care how their habits affect those around them.
I totally agree!!! Now let's deal with the selfishness of everyone, including the anti-smoking nazis and the Congress. I could go on, but I am sure you get my drift.

Some smokers are not the only damn selfish people in this country.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I know two people who died from lung cancer and they DID NOT smoke. So, what is your point?
Ok ... You know TWO non-smokers who died of lung cancer. Cigarette smoke is not the only cause of lung cancer but you are MORE LIKELY to get lung cancer if you continue smoking. If you honestly believe that the chemicals that you are inhaling in your beloved cigarettes would not cause you any harm, you are honestly deluding yourself. I really do not wish to breath in those chemicals, especially after they have been expelled from your lungs. Talk about gross.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Walk 15 feet upwind and wait there. The bus driver will see you...

Look, I get why you're so against smoking. The problem with your arguments is that they're based on emotion instead of logic.

I'm not going to engage you any further on this subject for that reason. Nothing will make you waver in your position in any way, and you've already made up your mind about the type of people that smokers are. I wonder how many great friendships you've missed out on because of it...

Have a good night, Connie.
You cannot always wait 15 feet from a bus stop, especially at night. Why should I have to stand 15 feet afar off just so Joe can enjoy his smoke? Sounds like Joe is the selfish one. I'm more than emotional about this topic as the second hand smoke AFFECTS ME greatly! If I could avoid all of you, I would! I do have a few friends that smoke, but at least they are the rare considerate ones and would not light up around me.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Avoid all cigarette smoke....but yet suck up car exhaust fumes while jogging down the road for your health. Makes perfect sense.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times
How this thread started as taxing on cigarettes to jogging down a high way and fuel exhaust, who knows.

I'm happy Smoking is quite possibly the most utterly STUUUUUUPID and disgusting vice EVER invented.

Thank God I live in Florida where indoor smoking is banned. Everytime I go out of state I forget that it's not always like that elsewhere. So I'm forced to sit in a 'non-smoking' dining area that STILL has the stench of cigarette smoke in the walls, floors, seats, and my orange juice.
I haven't had to request 'non-smoking' here in Florida since I was about oh, ummm, 6 years old?

I'm so allergic to the smell..my eyes water, puff up, and my nasal passage becomes clogged, the smell does not leave you for days.
I don't recall a time that this type of reaction has ever occurred while sitting in traffic or walking down the side of the road.

No sympathy. Get over the weak habit.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
You cannot always wait 15 feet from a bus stop, especially at night. Why should I have to stand 15 feet afar off just so Joe can enjoy his smoke? Sounds like Joe is the selfish one. I'm more than emotional about this topic as the second hand smoke AFFECTS ME greatly! If I could avoid all of you, I would! I do have a few friends that smoke, but at least they are the rare considerate ones and would not light up around me.
Agreed. Why shouldn't the smoker have to go 15 feet (or more) away from the bus stop?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Ok ... You know TWO non-smokers who died of lung cancer. Cigarette smoke is not the only cause of lung cancer but you are MORE LIKELY to get lung cancer if you continue smoking. If you honestly believe that the chemicals that you are inhaling in your beloved cigarettes would not cause you any harm, you are honestly deluding yourself. I really do not wish to breath in those chemicals, especially after they have been expelled from your lungs. Talk about gross.
I never said that smoking did not cause cancer. In fact, I specifically said that I knew it was not good for anyone's body. I also said that I do not believe all of the faux science out there that so many call absolute truths. DO NOT try to say I said something I didn't!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Well, la de da!!! The world revolves around you! Considerate smokers are not a damn rarity. If the ones you know of are then I would say that you don't know many people or know only inconsiderate slobs.

I, myself go days and sometimes weeks without smoking. It all depends on my mood. Going without a smoke is no damn big deal. I am just sick of the anti-smoking nazis pushing what they want on this nation. We have far too many laws trying to cover morality and it is dumb, to say the least, because it only makes it worse in the end. I am sure that you remember reading about Prohibition. That didn't work out so well, di it? Look at the idiotic "war on drugs". It isn't working either. I am against drugs myself, but at least I can see the folly in this supposed war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies