Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM

23,860 posts, read 24,186,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Another smoker demandiing studys and proof. Pretty typical and common come back.
How dare someone demand that you back up your claim! The nerve of some people!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
how can anything that smells so disgusting be safe?
Can't argue with that logic! Ok mods, shut it down - this thread is over! desertsun41 has delivered the coup d'état, and further discussion is unnecessary - indisputable proof has been provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM

4,570 posts, read 4,120,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
It's noteworthy that the new tax on tobacco has pushed a single pack of cigarettes to near $7 each. Smokeless tobacco, bulk tobacco, and virtually all tobacco products have been taxed heavily to discourage their use, sometimes more than doubling the taxes currently levied.

Maybe it's time to put a sin tax on the second greatest health problem facing Americans. Obesity.
In America, smoking is shunned for good reason. Moderator cut: copyright
Voices : Americans have earned the title of 'fattest nation on Earth'
It's time we start taxing unhealthy foods that are the basis for our obese society.
Smoking can harm others via secondhand smoke. Obesity doesn't (I've never seen secondhand fat). While I think its not a bad idea to tax certain food products, I don't see it has being as beneficial.

Here's a better idea. Offer tax incentives to companies that encourage employee health and don't overwork employees while giving them a fair pay. Employees that work 50+ or 60+ hours per week for the benefit of a company that will readily screw them at the earliest convenience to help stock prices are more likely to eat fast or unhealthy meals because of prep time and effort.

I've been working 60+ hours per week as a CNA for 6 months. I'm always on my feet and have little energy for work and sleep. As a result I'm not biking to work like I did when I was only 40 hours per week and on my days off, all I do is sleep.

Encourage employers to make employee health part of their concern, that would be a better way to address obeisity.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,065,879 times
Originally Posted by rogerbacon
"Smoking causes a lot less damage and the harm befalls the person who chooses to smoke, not innocent children."

Tell that to my friend who battled asthma due to her grandmother's smoking habit.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Ban smoking?

OK, then let's ban fatty foods, Big Macs, french fries, Fritos, Cheetos, and flour tortillas. Ban any food that the FDA says is not good for health.

Let the government dictate which days you have to walk to work to get some exercise, and how many minutes one has to hold his heart rate at 120 bpm.

Let's take common sense and throw it out the window. Let the government think for you, and make those healthy decisions about your lifestyle.
Smoking should be banned all together because it affects the air quality of non smokers who did not choose to light up. When will you smokers realize that YOUR habit does not just affect YOU but affects OTHERS around you! As soon as I'm exposed to the cigarette smoke of others, my eyes water up and my breathing is affected.

BY the way, you cannot compare smoking to other habits such as eating fatty foods as the fatty foods only affects the health of those who consume them unlike second hand cigarette smoke.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,880,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Originally Posted by rogerbacon
"Smoking causes a lot less damage and the harm befalls the person who chooses to smoke, not innocent children."

Tell that to my friend who battled asthma due to her grandmother's smoking habit.
Still doesn't explain why exposure to secondhand smoke has been decreasing, yet asthma rates continue to rise.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It's not about "carcinogens", it's about the freedom of personal choice. You know, the choice to make decisions and then live with the consequences, whether they be good or bad. Some fast foods are as detrimental to health as smoking. If you believe that, just drive to your nearest junior high school and watch the little fatties waddle to the bus or car.

When government tries to dictate good behavior, it replaces personal responsibility with a nanny state.
What choices do non-smokers have when forced to breathe in the second hand smoke of cigarettes?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
BY the way, you cannot compare smoking to other habits such as eating fatty foods as the fatty foods only affects the health of those who consume them unlike second hand cigarette smoke.
Let's compare it to driving, then. Exhaust fumes are far more dangerous than cigarette smoke. When you start your car, you're affecting everyone around you. If you don't keep your car in perfect mechanical condition, you're allowing it to generate even more toxic output.

Let me know when you're going to call for a ban on automobiles.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
What choices do non-smokers have when forced to breathe in the second hand smoke of cigarettes?
Who's forcing them? Please, outline the scenario in which an adult non-smoker is forced to breathe cigarette smoke.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 PM

20,954 posts, read 5,565,773 times
Quote:
Smoking should be banned all together because it affects the air quality of non smokers who did not choose to light up. When will you smokers realize that YOUR habit does not just affect YOU but affects OTHERS around you! As soon as I'm exposed to the cigarette smoke of others, my eyes water up and my breathing is affected.

Probably about the same time as you drivers realize that phoning home while behind the wheel affects others around you, and you horndogs realize that unprotected sex affects others around you and..............

Hey smoking Nazis! Legislate THIS Oops! Sorry, wrong finger.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,589,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
^^^

We should actually get rid of the child tax credit completely.
ROFLMAO!!!

You don't have a chance in hades!!!

But maybe if you stand on busy street corners with a big plackard, well, maybe, just maybe you will get one or two other total nutcases to join your cause!!!!

Too funny - you can't make this stuff up!!!

Thanks for the belly laugh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies