Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Because people DO NOT get asthma from anyone smoking. That is nothing but a damn LIE and faux science at best.
Gee, I could either trust you or I could trust the peer reviewed science and what my doctor tells me. Which to choose?

I'm a smoker but even I know you're full of it.

Last edited by Oerdin; 04-04-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Gee, I could either trust you or I could trust the peer reviewed science and what my doctor tells me. Which to choice?

APJ is just in denial.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Quote:
Autos have a value in society (getting folks from point A to point B) and the benefits outweights the risks. How is society benefitting from cigarette smoking?
But, that can be done with public transit as well. In fact, that improves social interactions between members of society. You're obviously a one-person, one car commuter because you seem to live in your own bubble. I think we should ban cars because even though it's more gratifying to get to a destination faster in your own vehicle, it's just not worth the risk to all the other citizens' air or our mother earth for YOUR convenience. In fact, we should make Earth Hour EVERY hour because we need to stop using fossil fuels to power our everyday lives. We need to return to a simpler time where we didn't buy materialistic crap, or use gasoline, electricity, or have vaccines that MIGHT cause that awful autism. Sure, we'll have a surge in plagues and diseases, but at least we reduced the risk of autism by .2% and now only 1 out of 126 kids get it instead of 1/125.

Oh, and our water shouldn't be treated anymore. Fluoridation and treatment are baaaaaad because fluoride causes mind control, according to some web site from one of those NWO believers. And, I say we bring back chastidy belts so people can't **** anymore. That will prevent the spread of diseases and pregnancy. Too many people in the world. Only CERTAIN folks, like those with my beliefs and intellectual ability, should have the right to procreate.

Navy showers only. You shant be using natures water for your own selfish purposes. Other folks need to drink that diseased water to survive, as well.

Obesity will be harshly punished. These fat asses are eating all the food, causing folks to starve. Africa shall no longer starve! Also, we won't have to pay for all the financial strains (approximately 1 billion trillion a year) placed on our insurance by obesity. However, insurance should be banned as well. Sure, it helps in times of crisis, but the risk that it might collapse (AIG anyone?) is just too great to keep it around. Banking? GONE! We can't risk bank runs with fractional reserves, so no new credit will be created. Everyone must carry their sacks of money around. It won't be gold or any other precious metal, though, for the children MIGHT bump their heads on it or use it as a weapon. Paper money can't be used... paper cuts. Perhaps a barter system should be put in place. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to trade what you want(greed *****) or need(you're not the only one in need) with someone else who has said service/good. Just go on craigslist (oh, wait, that's banned because it encourages ****ing and uses electricity). Ok, ok, I've got it! Let's ban EVERYTHING, including those pesky colors (they make people feel... feeling stuff can't be good for a stable populace) and make a gentle humming noise! Yes, a peaceful world, a perfect world. I can see it come to fruition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_I3U6JDF8

Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Wow, Connie - you are ALL OVER this thread. Let's see if we can figure out why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
When waiting at a bus stop or walking down the street. Unless I can hold my breath or move away from the smoker, I am forced to breathe in the fumes.
But you just admitted that you can hold your breath or move away from the smoker, therefore, you are not being forced to breathe the smoke. That other person is partaking in a legal activity. You don't like it? Tough crap. Sorry, but them's the breaks. There's lots of things other people do that I don't like, so I avoid the situations that would expose me to them. That's how life works - nobody has any obligation whatsoever to not offend you...

Quote:
Autos have a value in society (getting folks from point A to point B) and the benefits outweights the risks. How is society benefitting from cigarette smoking?
Irrelevant (and faulty logic, anyway). The simple fact - like it or not - is that auto exhaust is more harmful than cigarette smoke. But you're claiming that the harm caused is ok because cars "have a value in society." So I guess that the danger is somehow less dangerous because you feel it's a justified danger. See what I mean about faulty logic?

Let me know when you're going to push for banning automobiles. I'll grab some popcorn and watch the show.

Quote:
I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the smokers polluting our air.
I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the non-smokers infringing on our personal freedoms because "cigarettes are icky."

Quote:
I'm with ya! Or minimize it to it's constitutionally-mandated functions. Let's cut the fluff!
Great idea! You realize that you just made an argument against smoking bans, right?

Quote:
I know someone who died from lung cancer and she smoked like a chimney.
Ahh, now we come to why you're all over this thread. The death of the person you knew is truly a sad thing. I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant way to go, and I hope it wasn't anyone you were very close to. That said, I think that because of this, you're totally unable to look at the issue of second hand smoke objectively. It's an impossibility. It's unfortunate that you're so close minded and unwilling to see the propaganda for what it is, but I understand why that's the case.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Do you know what ingredients you are inhaling in your body? Be grateful that you are not suffering NOW but that CAN change if you keep inhaling those harmful chemicals. I know someone who died from lung cancer and she smoked like a chimney. It's your body and you have the rights to do as you please BUT you DO NOT have the right to pollute the air of those who had made wiser choices.
I know two people who died from lung cancer and they DID NOT smoke. So, what is your point?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Gee, I could either trust you or I could trust the peer reviewed science and what my doctor tells me. Which to choose?

I don't care what you want to believe. There is no proof whatsoever that anyone has ever gotten asthma from someone's smoking.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 04-04-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
APJ is just in denial.
No, I know that smoking is not good for one's health. I just do not believe all of the faux science crap that so many of you do.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow, Connie - you are ALL OVER this thread. Let's see if we can figure out why...

But you just admitted that you can hold your breath or move away from the smoker, therefore, you are not being forced to breathe the smoke. That other person is partaking in a legal activity. You don't like it? Tough crap. Sorry, but them's the breaks. There's lots of things other people do that I don't like, so I avoid the situations that would expose me to them. That's how life works - nobody has any obligation whatsoever to not offend you...

Irrelevant (and faulty logic, anyway). The simple fact - like it or not - is that auto exhaust is more harmful than cigarette smoke. But you're claiming that the harm caused is ok because cars "have a value in society." So I guess that the danger is somehow less dangerous because you feel it's a justified danger. See what I mean about faulty logic?

Let me know when you're going to push for banning automobiles. I'll grab some popcorn and watch the show.

I personally think this country would be a better place if we did not have the selfishness of the non-smokers infringing on our personal freedoms because "cigarettes are icky."

Great idea! You realize that you just made an argument against smoking bans, right?

Ahh, now we come to why you're all over this thread. The death of the person you knew is truly a sad thing. I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant way to go, and I hope it wasn't anyone you were very close to. That said, I think that because of this, you're totally unable to look at the issue of second hand smoke objectively. It's an impossibility. It's unfortunate that you're so close minded and unwilling to see the propaganda for what it is, but I understand why that's the case.

Right you are!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
But, that can be done with public transit as well. In fact, that improves social interactions between members of society. You're obviously a one-person, one car commuter because you seem to live in your own bubble. I think we should ban cars because even though it's more gratifying to get to a destination faster in your own vehicle, it's just not worth the risk to all the other citizens' air or our mother earth for YOUR convenience. In fact, we should make Earth Hour EVERY hour because we need to stop using fossil fuels to power our everyday lives. We need to return to a simpler time where we didn't buy materialistic crap, or use gasoline, electricity, or have vaccines that MIGHT cause that awful autism. Sure, we'll have a surge in plagues and diseases, but at least we reduced the risk of autism by .2% and now only 1 out of 126 kids get it instead of 1/125.

Oh, and our water shouldn't be treated anymore. Fluoridation and treatment are baaaaaad because fluoride causes mind control, according to some web site from one of those NWO believers. And, I say we bring back chastidy belts so people can't **** anymore. That will prevent the spread of diseases and pregnancy. Too many people in the world. Only CERTAIN folks, like those with my beliefs and intellectual ability, should have the right to procreate.

Navy showers only. You shant be using natures water for your own selfish purposes. Other folks need to drink that diseased water to survive, as well.

Obesity will be harshly punished. These fat asses are eating all the food, causing folks to starve. Africa shall no longer starve! Also, we won't have to pay for all the financial strains (approximately 1 billion trillion a year) placed on our insurance by obesity. However, insurance should be banned as well. Sure, it helps in times of crisis, but the risk that it might collapse (AIG anyone?) is just too great to keep it around. Banking? GONE! We can't risk bank runs with fractional reserves, so no new credit will be created. Everyone must carry their sacks of money around. It won't be gold or any other precious metal, though, for the children MIGHT bump their heads on it or use it as a weapon. Paper money can't be used... paper cuts. Perhaps a barter system should be put in place. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to trade what you want(greed *****) or need(you're not the only one in need) with someone else who has said service/good. Just go on craigslist (oh, wait, that's banned because it encourages ****ing and uses electricity). Ok, ok, I've got it! Let's ban EVERYTHING, including those pesky colors (they make people feel... feeling stuff can't be good for a stable populace) and make a gentle humming noise! Yes, a peaceful world, a perfect world. I can see it come to fruition.

YouTube - that child smelt funny
Actually, I don't have a driver's license so I rely on public transportation which makes your first paragraph is totally off base. Although I don't have my own personal vehicle, I do recognize the benefits of owning a vehicle, particulary if you live in a area that isn't well serviced by public transportation. Since I utilize public transportation, I come into frequent contact with secondhand smoke due to inconsiderate smokers waiting at the bus stop. Whenever smokers sit next to me on a bus, I have to endure the stench of the aftermath of their cigarette which clings to their clothes.

I won't even address the points in the rest of your post full of mindless, cigarette-induced rantings as this would deviate from the topic at hand, which is "Let's stick it to the smokers". Obviously, your smoking habit is turning you into a stark-raving mad person who is in dire need of professional help. I honestly think that you need to quit running around in circles and lay off those smokies, OK?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

It is not always possible to avoid smokers although I make every effort to do so. You can only hold your breath for so long. When you are waiting at a bus stop and someone next to you lights up, there are limited places for me to go as I need to wait for a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies