Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

While I'm sure you're all getting boners talking about the prospect of going to war with your own countrymen, I think it's still a long way off....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Why do you think that?

You and others like you hate and despise those who think differently than you.

Look at the venom you use in this thread....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
First I do doubt there will be secession and even if there were I doubt it would be like the fantasy world you are predicting of states holding together. If there is secession people in the states are not as unified as you think. What would prevent warlordism, foreign invasion, or a complete break down of society as was the case when Rome collapsed or during the horrible Chinese civil war of the 20th century? As to people who do have guns do you really think you will be safe when a renegade military brigade shows up at your house with tanks and takes what food or gold you have? Civil wars are not pretty and unless a some form of central government exists in the areas fighting it is doubtful that it will be anything like the American civil war. If the federal government survives in some states, while others secede to go it alone the united states will have more resources avalible and will ultimately crush rebellions in un-unified states. So personally while I think our country maybe be going through a rough patch right now with the economy, I in no way would support secession and risk our country to the unknown ravages a civil war will bring.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-02-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
First I do doubt their will be secession and even if there were I doubt it would be like the fantasy world you are predicting of states holding together. If their is secession people in the states are not as unified as you think. What would prevent warlordism, foreign invasion, or a complete break down of society as was the case when Rome collapsed or during the horrible Chinese civil war of the 20th century. As to people who do have guns do you really think you will be safe when a renegade military brigade shows up at your house with tanks and takes what food or gold you have? Civil wars are not pretty and unless a some form of central government exists in the areas fighting it is doubtful that it will be anything like the American civil war. If the federal government survives in some states, while others secede to go it alone the united states will have more resources avalible and will ultimately crush rebellions in un-unified states. So personally while I think our country maybe be going through a rough patch right now with the economy, I in no way would support secession and risk our country to the unknown ravages a civil war will bring.
A well articulated Post. I think most of the posters on this thread are just dreaming...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM

I see a balkanisation of the USA....simply put we no longer have much in common.

For some reason people think it better to remain together no matter what than to try and peacefully go our separate ways.

Quite interesting that the idea of the USA forcing states to rejoin is not seen as a terrible thing....

To add,the southern states seceded individually and at different times,they later chose to join together.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do you think that?

You and others like you hate and despise those who think differently than you.

Look at the venom you use in this thread....
?

Are you talking to me? Tell me what, precisely, leads you to believe that I hate or despise anyone?

And venom? I haven't said a word about, oh, say, violent and bloody uprising and secession.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 PM

By you and others like you I am referring to the left.

Your jibe in your first post was an attack on others of differing opinions...that seems venomous to me.

Perhaps you should read this nations founding documents regarding how and why it was founded to get some idea as to what is being discussed.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
By you and others like you I am referring to the left.

Your jibe in your first post was an attack on others of differing opinions...that seems venomous to me.

Perhaps you should read this nations founding documents regarding how and why it was founded to get some idea as to what is being discussed.
Pardon? What are you talking about?

What makes you think you know me? Or what I have or have not read? This thread is a sweaty circle-jerk for folks who think it's a GOOD IDEA for this Union to dissolve. Who think it's a GOOD IDEA for us to devolve into barbarous warfare in the streets of the United States.

It's pretty sick.

I get it. You're wounded. You're hurting. Well, we're still a LONG way from where we've been in some periods of history. Most people I know or have talked to haven't even downgraded their CABLE. They're not starving. They're not being taken from their homes by secret police. I see no REAL CRISIS. I see fear and paranoia and a TOTAL lack of perspective.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM

More venom....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
More venom....
It's not "venom" just because you don't agree with it. Grow a thicker skin, Nancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies