Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM

37,818 posts, read 41,126,784 times

Advertisements

What's your guess about the percent/number of people that post here in the Politics and Other Controversies forum (and sub-forums) as part of their job, paid or volunteer, to promote some agenda? They could either be lobbyists, staff of politicians, paid or volunteer members of organized supposed non-profit groups, etc.

I underlined "post" because I assume there are a lot of people who read these forums to get an idea about how the public is thinking but do not post in order to promote the agenda of the organization they work for. I'm not talking about the readers, just the posters who post as part of their job assignment.

I'm thinking the other forums have people with agendas, too, where it's part of their job (volunteer or paid) to post to applicable forums but for right now, I'm just interested in what you think about this Politics and Other Controversies forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,338,629 times
I can't answer your question, but have noticed that people join in groups with political agendas.

This happened in the past few months.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,010,367 times
My guess "0"

Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM

8,067 posts, read 3,965,501 times
I get paid $249,999.99 per year to post here!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,046,965 times
How about 0%?

This is just a minuscule political subforum of a general purpose forum, subordinate to the state/city forums. It is not like anyone really forms their opinions based on what they read here. During the elections there may have been some people pushing certain agendas and intentionally starting flame wars, but for the most part that practice has died down. With the elections over, this portion of the forum does not see as much traffic, and you are only left with the radical sides of the political spectrum.

And considering Liberals and Conservatives are grossly over-represented on the internet, it would be a poor choice to do any intellegence gathering on public opinion through online forums.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,027,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can't answer your question, but have noticed that people join in groups with political agendas.

This happened in the past few months.
True; when you see the same posters starting the same threads with the same talking points on different forums, you begin to wonder exactly how much time they spend at the keyboard...and why. I'd guess that there are a few here that do receive some recompense for such diligence.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM

358 posts, read 473,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I get paid $249,999.99 per year to post here!
And truly a bargain at 1/2 the price!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:50 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,247,937 times
How Many People Are Paid to Post Here?

I suspect more than one considering the drivel that gets posted and replied largely just to push interesting topics off the page. I suspected that was taking place prior to the election.

Quote:
Political leftists play for keeps. They are willing to lie, perform deceptive acts in a coordinated fashion and do so in a wicked way - all in the pursuit of victory. Moral relativism is alive and well in the land of Hope and Change and its Web-savvy youth brigade expresses its "idealism" in a most cynical fashion.

The ends justify the means for them - now more than ever.

Much of Mr. Obama's vaunted online strategy involved utilizing "Internet trolls" to invade enemy lines under false names and trying to derail discussion. In the real world, that's called "vandalism." But in a political
movement that embraces "graffiti" as avant-garde art , that's business as usual. It relishes the ability to destroy other people's property in pursuit of electoral victory.
Due to the activities of those 'activists', I hold any post from a bleeding bum liberal as suspect unless proven otherwise.

The lesson here is that if we want to restore the Constitution to the intent of the founders then we need to learn to recognize the subversion of lefty activists and prepare to counter. Polite chat is of no use as their intent is to squelch the polite and attack the opposition.

Read and interpret leftist posts as such.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,911,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What's your guess about the percent/number of people that post here in the Politics and Other Controversies forum (and sub-forums) as part of their job, paid or volunteer, to promote some agenda? They could either be lobbyists, staff of politicians, paid or volunteer members of organized supposed non-profit groups, etc.

I underlined "post" because I assume there are a lot of people who read these forums to get an idea about how the public is thinking but do not post in order to promote the agenda of the organization they work for. I'm not talking about the readers, just the posters who post as part of their job assignment.

I'm thinking the other forums have people with agendas, too, where it's part of their job (volunteer or paid) to post to applicable forums but for right now, I'm just interested in what you think about this Politics and Other Controversies forum.
A good amount of the leftists have quite a hive mind way of posting that it does lead one to suspect they are given their talking points....

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 21,516,266 times
I wish I was paid! Hey think tank lurkers with big budgets- pick me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies