Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 04:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
They are very similar, to be honest.

However, people need to stop saying that we evolved from apes. We evolved from a common ancestor. We just branched. One branch went to apes, the other to humans as we know it.
Adam and Eve maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
We would never know, as he is dead.

Another little tidbit: The story about Darwin accepting God on his deathbed is false.
Personally, I'd rather not wait until I'm dead to realize that God existed after all. The stakes are just too high.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
A "slight" difference? Maybe you should visit your local zoo and interact with some of the apes and share with us just how "similar" they are to humans.
I do (I live 3 blocks from the San Diego Zoo, with one of the best primate collections in the world), and they are VERY similar to us. Moreso than any other animal at the zoo. The monkeys play with each other just like children do, they communicate with us by making faces and hand gestures. Plus, IT'S IN THEIR DNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S CALLED SCIENCE, OPEN A BOOK OTHER THAN YOUR BIBLE AND "A PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE" AND LEARN SOMETHING.

We have similar bodies, bone structures, brains, eyes, digestive systems, even societal roles.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I do (I live 3 blocks from the San Diego Zoo, with one of the best primate collections in the world), and they are VERY similar to us. Moreso than any other animal at the zoo. The monkeys play with each other just like children do, they communicate with us by making faces and hand gestures. Plus, IT'S IN THEIR DNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S CALLED SCIENCE, OPEN A BOOK OTHER THAN YOUR BIBLE AND "A PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE" AND LEARN SOMETHING.

We have similar bodies, bone structures, brains, eyes, digestive systems, even societal roles.
*Hands Leftydan a banana*

Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
When did I ever advocate for these things? Yes, we made progress in terms of civil rights for minorities and women and I would never advocate to go back to the way things were. The 1950's were far from perfect but at least our society was more firmly grounded in what's morally right and wrong as opposed to the moral relativism we see today. It is no coincidence that we have high crime rates in our public schools and mass murders in our cities after generations of children have grown up in the "it's all about ME" culture. Why do you suppose depression and other psychological disorders are rampant, especially among teenagers? Why do you suspect that 50% of marriages fail? Could it be because fornication and adultry are no longer viewed as morally wrong?
No, it's because women now have enough freedom to leave horrible husbands. And depression and psychological disorders aren't necessarily more prevalent these days, they are just more DIAGNOSED. My mother has ADD, but she certainly wasn't diagnosed with it in elementary school in the 1950s. Alcoholism and drug use in the suburbs started to take off in the 1950s and the 50s lifestyle is what led to the 1960s rebellion. The 1950s weren't better, just more repressed. Why do you think the Mafia was able to be so strong during that era? Americans had a thirst for Drugs, Gambling and Prostitution.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather not wait until I'm dead to realize that God existed after all. The stakes are just too high.
And I'd rather not live my entire life by rules I don't entirely agree with on the off chance that I may or may not go to a place of paradise.

I believe in reincarnation anyways. Makes way more sense.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Over the last 15 years, the crime rates have fallen quite a bit...what's the explanation for that?
But it is not down to 1950s level. It just means it dropped from a very high rate.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Tell that to the Mafia...they had guns in schools, they pushed heroin and killed many people...all in the 1950s.
Kids did not pack guns in school in the '50s! Tell me the number killed in schools in the '50s compared to today.

And here is an excellent example comparing the '40s and '50s to later decades. This is from education Professor William Kilpatrick, author of the book "Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong." The article is from Sept. 7, 1993.

Top 10 School Problems Then and Now

1943----------------------------- 1993

1. Chewing gum------------------- Student suicide
2. Making noise------------------- Assaults
3. Running in the halls------------- Robbery
4. Cutting in line------------------ Rape
5. Students talking when they
shouldn't----------------------- Possession of guns/knives/other weapons
6. Dress-code infractions---------- Drug abuse
7. Littering------------------------ Alcoholism
8. Tardiness----------------------- Pregnancy
9. Lost homework------------------ Sexual harassment
10. Talking back to teachers-------- AIDS

Wow... look at #2 for 1943: making noise! A lot "worse" than the #2 for 1993, right?

Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
The OP is a dolt. Gay marriage would be between two consenting adults and I don't know where he thinks liberals or gays would even condone adult/child relationships. What a strawman's arguement and if you want to protect the institution of marriage then abolish divorce as well!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
You know Karfar, I seriously doubt that if I were to provide you with a photograph or some other tangible evidence of God, you still would deny His existence. Of course I do not have a photograph but I do have my own personal experience that proves to ME that God exist. My whole life is a miracle that testifies of a loving God watching over me.

Think about your body for a second... I'm no scientist but just think about the complexities of the human body and how the parts of the body works together to keep us alive. Do you honestly believe without a shadow of a doubt that a human being just "evolved" from a ape? Now, look at your computer screen, what if I told you that no one created your computer but that it just "evolved" from a calculator? You'd probably say I was nuts and you'd be correct. How can anyone think that a complex human being just "evolved" without a creator?
Ok, I'll ask you a question. Did you ever see the movie "Weird Science"? Or "Frankenstein"? Someone created a human being in those movies. When you saw those movies, or read the book, did you find it difficult to believe that someone could create a human being? If I could create a Johnny Depp look alike for my very own, fully functional, then maybe I'll believe that someone created the universe. Until then, I'll choose to think of it as fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies