Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Fear of second-hand-gayness more than second-hand-smoke?
I think I just gave the dog a stroke from my burst of laughter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
“Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause”
Mahatma Gandhi
For some reason, I'm reminded of....

"There is no humor in Heaven"--
Mark Twain----

Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
For some reason, I'm reminded of....

"There is no humor in Heaven"--
Mark Twain----
Because there's no heaven.... ?!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Ok. Since I seem to be an "easy" target. I will full on give my opinion on the concept of marriage PERIOD. Personally, I'd say we abolish the religious-based concept known as marriage from every institution of the government.

Marriage, by its very nature, is supposed to be a symbol of permanency between two people. What's the divorce rate, again?

So, instead of the strung out and over-strained concept of marriage that comes with a package of benefits, CIVIL UNIONS FOR ALL!!!

So, like I said. I'm against gay marriage because of the implications of later changing the laws. But, a continuation is that I'm against marriage... period. And yet... I'm on the marriage track simply for the TAX BREAKS and "social acceptance" of my love for another person.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Ok. Since I seem to be an "easy" target. I will full on give my opinion on the concept of marriage PERIOD. Personally, I'd say we abolish the religious-based concept known as marriage from every institution of the government.

Marriage, by its very nature, is supposed to be a symbol of permanency between two people. What's the divorce rate, again?

So, instead of the strung out and over-strained concept of marriage that comes with a package of benefits, CIVIL UNIONS FOR ALL!!!

So, like I said. I'm against gay marriage because of the implications of later changing the laws. But, a continuation is that I'm against marriage... period. And yet... I'm on the marriage track simply for the TAX BREAKS and "social acceptance" of my love for another person.
Wow. I need a drink after that explanation, Kuharai.

On you!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Because there's no heaven.... ?!
The jury is certainly "out" on this issue, and no one yet has made the round trip--but I'm still compelled to advise you that investing in a little "fire insurance" couldn't hurt----and, if you're wrong, would very likely help..just my own unsolicited advice....

Last edited by macmeal; 09-07-2007 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 04:31 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The jury is certainly "out" on this issue, and no one yet has made the round trip--but I'm still compelled to advise you that investing in a little "fire insurance" couldn't hurt----any, if you're wrong, would very likely help..just my own unsolicited advice....
Now wait just one minute! Xena died several times and came back...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:31 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,627 times
Quote:
I have nothing against gay marriage, but rather see it as a stepping stone for other groups who are backing gay marriage but have their own agenda. People can argue that in Europe, gay marriage is allowed but not here. I see that the age of consent varies per country with Spain's being 13.
So why do anything that may benefit people when you know there is always a “group” who wants to use it as a stepping stone. Let’s not articulate that it should be between consenting adults, although that is misleading as even kids as young as 15 can currently get married with parental consent in Missouri and many other states allow under 18 marriages.

If you have nothing against gay marriage, why don’t you save your strength up and fight against those “groups” who want to marry goats and children (without parental consent) instead of gay couples?

Quote:
I'm not focused on the physical part. My argument is that there are groups that are trying to CHANGE things to allow "contracts" to be signed by children or with multiple partners.

Nobody seems to want to address that part.
They have addressed it and indicated it is for consenting adults but you continue to bring up the slippery slope argument with goats and children (although children can be allowed with parental consent but not goats, even if you had farmer consent).

By your rationale we should have never allowed blacks to vote via the the 15th amendment as it would have allowed illegals or goats or IBM computers the right also because they would eventually have some type of support group. So cut off the rights then and eliminate the 19th, 24th, and 26th amendments because if we let blacks vote, then it creates the slippery slope of wanting women to vote, 18 year olds to vote, poor people the right to vote, and eventually the goat group will want votes too. Do you see the line where it become irrational?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
So why do anything that may benefit people when you know there is always a “group” who wants to use it as a stepping stone. Let’s not articulate that it should be between consenting adults, although that is misleading as even kids as young as 15 can currently get married with parental consent in Missouri and many other states allow under 18 marriages.

If you have nothing against gay marriage, why don’t you save your strength up and fight against those “groups” who want to marry goats and children (without parental consent) instead of gay couples?

They have addressed it and indicated it is for consenting adults but you continue to bring up the slippery slope argument with goats and children (although children can be allowed with parental consent but not goats, even if you had farmer consent).

By your rationale we should have never allowed blacks to vote via the the 15th amendment as it would have allowed illegals or goats or IBM computers the right also because they would eventually have some type of support group. So cut off the rights then and eliminate the 19th, 24th, and 26th amendments because if we let blacks vote, then it creates the slippery slope of wanting women to vote, 18 year olds to vote, poor people the right to vote, and eventually the goat group will want votes too. Do you see the line where it become irrational?
lol.... beautifully said...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:

Um.. in case anybody else missed it, illegals are fighting for the right to vote...

Back to topic: Why even have marriage if there's no permanency in it anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies