Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Doesn't happen. There's a reason that the use of a firearm is labeled "deadly force." If you're aiming the gun at a person and pulling the trigger, the intent is to kill them, period. It doesn't always happen, but that is the assumed outcome, in every case.
This is true and if you went to court and said "I shot him in the leg because I thought that's all I needed to do" or something like that, the opposing lawyer would shred you for shooting his client, endangering his life and using deadly force when you obviously didn't feel your life was in danger. Life ain't fair , sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
I'm glad this one worked out for the best but statistically speaking a lot more innocent people get killed by vigilante behavior then saved. There are to many people who get drunk and start bar fights, who shot without taking proper aim hitting bystanders, and a million other things.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm glad this one worked out for the best but statistically speaking a lot more innocent people get killed by vigilante behavior then saved. There are to many people who get drunk and start bar fights, who shot without taking proper aim hitting bystanders, and a million other things.
You have hard numbers and facts to back up this statement?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Doesn't happen. There's a reason that the use of a firearm is labeled "deadly force." If you're aiming the gun at a person and pulling the trigger, the intent is to kill them, period. It doesn't always happen, but that is the assumed outcome, in every case.
Yea, this myth of shooting to wound is ludicrous. Anyone who has their CCW has been instucted that this is fallacy, and those who have taken their training to a higher level know exactly how much of a fallacy. If you have judged the situation to be in need of leathl force, LETHAL force is what you are striving for. Every situation is different, and you MAY be able to defuse it by the threat of lethal force alone, but that is an iffy proposition at best. Threatening lethal force will , more than likely, provoke a lethal response and give the bad guy a chance to turn the tables whereas he did not have that option before you made the decision to threaten him. General rule, if you bring the weapon out, you better be ready to use it, immediatly.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You really need to examine the laws, and actual cases, regarding those with CCW's before making a statement like this. It would save you a mouthful of whatever footwear you have on.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenanina View Post
hmmm.... im not much for violence...couldnt they have just shot the person in the leg or something? put them to prison alive...
For one you aim at center mass. Its the biggest target. For another if someone is in your home and is threatening you or your family why take the chance with a leg shot? I can live with killing a criminal in my own home or if they are threatening my life. What I couldn't live with is I went for a leg shot, missed and the bad guy who is trying to kill me aims center mass and I die.
I shoot a lot of rounds and I feel very comfortable with my ability. However the time to test them is not when you are in combat. Aim for center mass and shoot until the enemy goes down and stays down.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Thank you, you just showed your total ignorance on this subject. Federal law ,which includes gun shows, bar a felon from owning any firearm. Educate yourself.
If no background check is done at the gun show and no ID is required, how will the seller know if he is selling to a felon? Do they wear red shirts or have ear tags or something?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If no background check is done at the gun show and no ID is required, how will the seller know if he is selling to a felon? Do they wear red shirts or have ear tags or something?

if you buy from a dealer at a gun show, you still have to go through the NICS check.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you buy from a dealer at a gun show, you still have to go through the NICS check.

Yep, sure do. I've done it myself, a number of times.

And if you are buying from a "Private Seller" who has no FFL and no telephone hookup because the only reason he rented a table was to sell a few of his four thousand personal weapons?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
The old Texas Rangers had a saying I get my 10 seconds, when a man is shot even in the heart it takes 10 seconds to die. So there saying is what can I do in 10 seconds. It goes down to does the man become the animal or the animal breaking into your house become a man. If the animal realizes he has been shot does he sit down and die. Or does the man become enraged and becomes the animal. Do you have 10 second to see if he is going to hurt your family or do you double tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies