Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times

Advertisements

Berkeley and San Francisco have regularly used their opposition to "don't ask, don't tell" as an excuse for their anti-military actions like getting rid of the ROTC from public schools and a city council telling the Marines they were unwanted and unwelcomed intruders to their city. If Obama does eliminate the "don't ask, don't tell" policy will the governments of these two cities stop hating on the military or will they simply try to find another excuse for their anti-military governmental decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,867 times
I think once the military isn't a prejudicial institution then the more liberal cities will be more willing to accept it.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
I think once the military isn't a prejudicial institution then the more liberal cities will be more willing to accept it.
As a LIBERAL having served in the United States Air Force I will say that I for one LOVE our military and I fully stand with the people in it. The problem that I have seen is that the military and many of its conservative supporters seem to have forgot the basic premise of the armed forces and that is that they follow the orders of the civilian government.
We have seen in recent years where may conservatives seem to think that the military should just make up its own rules and do what it wants to do and what the generals think is best. Nothing shows that more than the gay policies. The fact is that gays pose no problem for the military. In many MOS gays would be very good in the military- especially in foreign languages and IT.
President Clinton should have ordered an end to the gay ban but he bowed to the wishes of the conservatives and a few generals and instead did a "compromise" (sort of like the Missouri Compromise!). Hopefully Obama will have the guts to order the military to drop this policy.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 AM

President Clinton could have done that but choose not to do so. However, judging by some of the videos of anti-war protesters in the bay area, what's being said against the military has nothing to do with "don't ask, don't tell". I'll find a few of them and post here.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 AM

YouTube - Anti-military protest at SFSU
"you massacre babies!"

Breitbart.tv » ‘Get the F*** Off Me!’: New Video Emerges of Berkeley Marine Protests
Real peaceful people aren't they

Breitbart.tv » Berkeley Marine Protest: Video Shows Confrontation as Cops Remain ‘Neutral’
here they are trying to prevent people from entering the marine recruiting station

'Daily Show' Ridicules Anti-military Protestors | NewsBusters.org
This one is from the Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
The presidential policy of "Dont ask, dont tell" does not have any effect on the UCMJ.

The UCMJ was written by Congress.

The UCMJ still outlaws 'sodomy'. It outlawed 'sodomy' before the "Dont ask, dont tell" policy, and it outlaws 'sodomy' now, and if the "Dont ask, dont tell" policy goes away; then the UCMJ will continue to outlaw 'sodomy'.

Only Congress can change the UCMJ.

I have not heard anyone suggesting to remove 'sodomy' from being a felony in the UCMJ.

So long as 'sodomy' continues to be a felony, then homosexuals can not practice their preferred sexual stuff. Practicing homosexuals will still continue to be felons if they serve in the US military.

Just like 40 years ago, just like today, ...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,071,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The presidential policy of "Dont ask, dont tell" does not have any effect on the UCMJ.

The UCMJ still outlaws 'sodomy'. It outlawed 'sodomy' before the "Dont ask, dont tell" policy, and it outlaws 'sodomy' now, and if the "Dont ask, dont tell" policy goes away; then the UCMJ will continue to outlaw 'sodomy'.

I have not heard anyone suggesting to remove 'sodomy' from being a felony in the UCMJ.

So long as 'sodomy' continues to be a felony, then homosexuals can not practice their preferred sexual stuff. Practicing homosexuals will still continue to be felons if they serve in the US military.

As soon as they start prosecuting heterosexuals for oral sex they will be entitled to prosecute homosexuals for anal and oral sex.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,953 times
you have vids on college kids and an extreme left fringe that in no way is an accurate representaion of the majorityof the population! I don't believe college kids are very different in other parts of the country!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:

So, every gay person, and no straight person practices sodomy.
Looks like, yet again, you don't know what you bee talking about.
I guess being a lesbian is a-ok then.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,045 times
Quote:

The misconception here is that only gays practice sodomy. Sodomy is defined as anal intercourse. Do straights not perform anal intercourse? The flipside is that if sodomy (i.e anal intercourse) is to be banned, does that mean that oral sex between gays is acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies