Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM

82 posts, read 180,061 times

Advertisements

I did when I was in middle school. The area we lived was a middle-upper class mostly white suburb of a mostly black city. My neighborhood was only a few blocks from the "ghetto", but the police presence was so good that crime was almost a non-issue where we lived. It was a historic neighborhood with older homes in the 100k-200k range mostly. Nice, but nothing extravagant. Anyways, it was decided that these minority children were not getting the same educational opportunities as we were so they picked a few streets and added them to my school district. Since I was so close to that area, my bus route ended up picking them up. I ended up with about a 75% black bus, which was a culture shock to me.

One day this black boy took a black girls purse and wouldn't give it back. I snatched it from him and went to return it to her and she slapped it out of my hand and told me "Get yo white-ass hands off my stuff" and then I got in a fist fight with that boy. I got suspended from the bus, zero tolerance policy on fighting.

This is a stupid childish story, but it stuck with me. At least I beat that kid up pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Typical. When proven wrong move the goalposts. This post is about white being discriminated against. if a minority gets a job because they are a minority that is discrimination. No other way around it.

You need todso some research before you make blanket statements. The main reason more blacks are unemployed is because 60 to 70% drop out of high school making them unemployable.
You might want to read a little of the EEO laws.
You're posting blanket statements where you have no education or understanding of the issue.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
The reason that minorities have had to depend on government assistance, is because they have been, and still are, disproportionately poor. And minorities are still the last hired, first first fired, with an unemployment rate that's twice the rate for whites. How you see that liberals are responsible for this, is absurd!

A woman can't get married or she'll lose her welfare benefits, but get's increased benefits the more children she has. Now that's logical, isn't it? Should we wonder why so many inner city families are made up of multi-fathered children? Liberals, with their good intentions, have stimulated poverty.

The system is designed to keep the poor- poor. If there were ever a "segregation of the classes" it is welfare. It's kind of like dangling a carrot on a poll in front of a horse. The horse see's the carrot, want's it badly, yet will never get to it.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A woman can't get married or she'll lose her welfare benefits, but get's increased benefits the more children she has. Untrue, please read the laws of your state. Now that's logical, isn't it? Should we wonder why so many inner city families are made up of multi-fathered children? Liberals, with their good intentions, have stimulated poverty.

The system is designed to keep the poor- poor. If there were ever a "segregation of the classes" it is welfare. It's kind of like dangling a carrot on a poll in front of a horse. The horse see's the carrot, want's it badly, yet will never get to it.
Might want to read the laws of your state.
Since Clinton was president, there's been a cap on benefits.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Might want to read the laws of your state.
Since Clinton was president, there's been a cap on benefits.
I live in Los Angeles, and I have plenty of ex-friends in S Central who's family structure was entirely set up by working the system. Experience trumps words every time.

One of my friends has three half brothers, none are from the same father. I know quite well the situation, thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It doesn't matter who benefits the most or least the law says you cannot discriminate. When you pass rules/laws saying you HAVE TO interview blacks is discrimination..

I also think it is wrong that companies are forced to have special programs to recruit minorities.

If a company has a job openning they usually advertise in the newspaper or trade joutnals, on line, whatever. ALL people who think they qualify for that job have an EQUAL oppertunity to apply. Ant special program to after a minority is discrimination.

Same with colleges. To specify a particular race is discrimonation.
All programs for minorities do, is make sure that a school or company, will recruit a fair number of minorities. That's no evidence, that these programs are racists against whites. You sound like another white person, who has a problem with modern-day diversity.

Whites have always, and still do, enjoyed a disproportionate amount of privilege and power, in America. You might not think that you do, but you really do. If you have decent qualifications, then you will get accepted at school, and get a job.

Seems to me, I've heard more about reverse racism towards whites, since the economy went down. So, many whites need to scapegoat programs for minorities, for their own problems getting a job.

Whites still have an advantage though, even in this economy. If not, then why is the unemployment rate for blacks, twice as high as it is for whites? Because of that fact, you can't tell me, that minorities are suddenly monopolizing the workplace these days, and taking all of the jobs away from whites.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
It kills me, when whites gripe about racism, due to whether or not they are admitted to college. NOBODY is discriminated against, when it comes to getting federal aid monies, to go to school! Getting that money, is based soley on NEED, not on the race of the applicant.
That's not true. A former classmate of mine is a minority and he got a ton of money for summer/winter classes on top of his (already generous) financial aid. His family is middle class at the very least.

Not to mention all the scholarships that are only for minority students. I don't recall any scholarships that only allowed whites to apply.

Last edited by Cindy_Jole; 01-24-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
People of all types experience racism, but white people generally experience racism to a much smaller degree and of a much different type. It is usually pretty boring to listen to white people complain about discrimination when they are the dominant racial group in American society. I don't deny that it exists, but whenever a thread is started regarding the racism blacks face, many white posters on this board tell them to "stop whining," "stop making excuses," etc.

Affirmative Action is a program that many whites complain about, without acknowledging the fact that Affirmative Action is predicated on addressing racial discrimination. It's a stop gap solution that doesn't help the blacks that need it most and makes middle and lower class white people feel threatened, but the whole reason it exists is that whites generally have a social advantage due to the systemic oppression of people of other races.

This takes us to people who feel anger about being made to feel guilty about the sins of their ancestors (see post #150), to which I would suggest that no one should feel guilty, but denying it makes you complicit. I don't defend racism that comes from blacks (I am black, and several people in my family are racist against whites), but you should at least remain cognizant of the fact that racism is primarily targeted against minorities in America.

P.S. Institutionalized racism does exist. Our legal system and our prisons are highly indicative of this. Look at the racial disparities in doling out the death penalty and tell me institutionalized racism is a lie.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
That's not true. A former classmate of mine is a minority and he got a ton of money for summer/winter classes on top of his (already generous) financial aid. His family is middle class at the very least.
Where did this 'ton of money' come from? They have caps on the maximum amount of state and government aid for school, that a student can qualify for. Perhaps the student got scholarship money, or maybe a gift of money from his or her family.

Maybe he or she became an independent student, because he or she had lived away from home long enough to qualify. Once a student is eligible to be classified as independent, then they can get larger financial aid packages.

If you think that minorities are granted more financial aid than whites based on race, then you're indeed mistaken. I think that it's really lame, to try and brand financial aid prigrams, racist against whites. That's stooping pretty low, just because you may not have gotten all of the money that you wanted, to go to school!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Perhaps the student got scholarship money, or maybe a gift of money from his or her family.
It was not scholarship money and he did not get any "gift money" from his family.

Quote:
Maybe he or she became an independent student, because he or she had lived away from home long enough to qualify.
He was not an independent student. His home was with his family.

Quote:
If you think that minorities are granted more financial aid than whites based on race, then you're indeed mistaken. I think that it's really lame, to try and brand financial aid prigrams, racist against whites. That's stooping pretty low, just because you may not have gotten all of the money that you wanted, to go to school!
How many scholarships do you see that are geared only for minorities (where, as a requirement, the student had to be a certain ethnicity)? On the other hand, how many scholarships do you see that are for "whites only"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies