Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of conservatives and/or Republicans using the term '*******." Is 'retard,' along with the even more offensive 'tard,' acceptable all of a sudden? I thought that Sarah Palin had opened everyone's eyes to the plight of special-needs children and adults, so why are some people using this term over and over again? Putting 'lib' at the front of 'tard' makes it ok to reinforce a term like 'tard,' a term that is very painful to many families? Pairing 'lib' with 'tard' doesn't erase the negative connotations of 'tard'; it just reinforces 'tard' as a derogatory term.

Is this something that someone like Rush Limbaugh or one of his ilk is pushing? Is that what makes it ok to use a term that like 'tard'?

Pretty shameful.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-20-2009 at 11:48 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Agreed, and many people using that term claimed to be shocked, just shocked when Obama made his inappropriate remarks about "Special Olympics", and severely casitgated him.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Personally, I don't find it offensive. People resorting to anger, hatred and personal attacks stemming from it, have discovered themselves in a corner and being pushed continuously. It is natural to hear them do nothing but bark. What they don't realize is that it is the quality of posts that is key to where they stand versus another. Deliberate name-calling is nothing but trolling anyway. But then, the party they represent has made a living being just that...

Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
It's name calling. It's equally overdone by the left and right.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
It's name calling. It's equally overdone by the left and right.

I would call this very, VERY tame in regards to the name-calling I've seen coming from liberals towards conservatives.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I would call this very, VERY tame in regards to the name-calling I've seen coming from liberals towards conservatives.
I'm not talking about name calling generally. Of course, that happens on both sides. I'm asking about this particular word as it isn't just name calling against a group based on politics. It goes beyond that to trope upon a derogatory term for people with special needs.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
I don't think you can automatically assume that it goes towards actual retarded people. I look at the term as people who constantly blurt out s*** that they hear somewhere and take it for fact and call you ignorant or bigot, etc. for not agreeing.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of all this PC war on words crap lately.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I've seen a lot of conservatives and/or Republicans using the term '*******." Is 'retard,' along with the even more offensive 'tard,' acceptable all of a sudden? I thought that Sarah Palin had opened everyone's eyes to the plight of special-needs children and adults, so why are some people using this term over and over again? Putting 'lib' at the front of 'tard' makes it ok to reinforce a term like 'tard,' a term that is very painful to many families? Pairing 'lib' with 'tard' doesn't erase the negative connotations of 'tard'; it just reinforces 'tard' as a derogatory term.

Is this something that someone like Rush Limbaugh or one of his ilk is pushing? Is that what makes it ok to use a term that like 'tard'?

Pretty shameful.

I think you make several very good points.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Personally, I don't find it offensive. People resorting to anger, hatred and personal attacks stemming from it, have discovered themselves in a corner and being pushed continuously. It is natural to hear them do nothing but bark. What they don't realize is that it is the quality of posts that is key to where they stand versus another. Deliberate name-calling is nothing but trolling anyway. But then, the party they represent has made a living being just that...

So, what do you say when the Left uses the terms "wingnut", "racists", "white trash", "hatemongering bigots" etc. In other words, terms of endearment used by many members of the left on this site to flame others with different points of view

You sound like the pot calling the kettle black

Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 AM

238 posts, read 305,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

Pretty shameful.

Are you now the word police? If you are so sensitive maybe you are out of touch with the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies