Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:23 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What an ego we have. To think we can control the climate, even create a "Climate Control Tax." The earth's temps have been fluxating since it was formed.

I have no problem and even agree with recycling plastics and paper, making cars and companies run cleaner....... But taxing cows for methane is way out there. You can make the enviroment cleaner, but you can't "change" the way nature works.

And its kinda funny that in the south the winters and summers are getting COLDER. More in line with the "Little ICe Age," rather than any warming.
That kind of logical thinking is not going to sit well with some

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
If they enact Cap and Trade in the sense in which some want, I will be curious to see if it actually cuts down on emissions.

If co A needs some above his limit, and co B doesn't use his limit so he can sell his credits to co A - how does that actually reduce any carbons emitted?

Also, a new guy comes along and wants to create co C (assumptions no co are closing down). How does he fit into the credit game?

All good questions. The gubmint only got as far as the taxing part and got too excited to address anything further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Haven't read what EPA's actions would be - but it does not sound as if they would enact Cap & Trade. Perhaps the EPA does not have the authority to impose C&T?

Any actions that EPA would take WOULD have consequences the Feds don't want -- actions by the EPA would also affect cars & trucks.
Vec you sound like the secessionists here wiggling on the hook of Texas v White. Maybe the EPA doesn't have the authority??? Been to their web site? Listen to Sec Jackson, reviewed cap and trade for NOx and SOx, two other pollutants regulated under the same Clean Air Act? RW wet dream Vec.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Vec you sound like the secessionists here wiggling on the hook of Texas v White. Maybe the EPA doesn't have the authority??? Been to their web site? Listen to Sec Jackson, reviewed cap and trade for NOx and SOx, two other pollutants regulated under the same Clean Air Act? RW wet dream Vec.
The EPA is federal. Tell me where in the Constitution the federal government is given the authority at all.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
I loom at it this way, people should want global warming to happen. there would be more farmland and less people starving.

also, if a mini ice age happened, you can sure as heck bet your butts, that alot of liberals/republicrats would be screaming for global warming.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The EPA is federal. Tell me where in the Constitution the federal government is given the authority at all.
All cleared by the Supreme Court, final arbiter of what is constitutional.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
All cleared by the Supreme Court, final arbiter of what is constitutional.
The SC needs to revisit it - because it is NOT constitutional.

Don't get me wrong - I believe global warming is something that needs to be addressed. That said, I cannot find the authority for the feds to become involved.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Why are you attacking me?
In all the articles I have read of statements of Sec Jackson, she implied action but says they want Congress to handle it by Cap and Trade.

Read again what I posted - I did NOT say the EPA has no power for some type of action. I said perhaps they do not have the authority to establish the Cap and Trade program.

The statements I have read by the EPA people imply actions but NO where have I read that action would be Cap and Trade.

Therefore I wonder, do they not have the power to establish Cap and Trade? Perhaps they do, but I wonder why they did not say - if Congress does not enact Cap and Trade then we will. Instead, they imply and action but do not say what that action would be.

Therefore, because I ask a legitiment question you attack me?
If you have a link, please provide it.
Please quit playing ugly - if you have a point to make do it, if there is somewhere the EPA has declared they will enact Cap & Trade if Congress does not then provide the link. That is not a challenge I am presenting to you, that is a legitimate request. Because, I would like to know and I have not found that statement by the EPA.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The SC needs to revisit it - because it is NOT constitutional.

Don't get me wrong - I believe global warming is something that needs to be addressed. That said, I cannot find the authority for the feds to become involved.
They did last year. Said the EPA was required to regulate CO2 if they determined the science of global warm indicated it was a problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Why are you attacking me?
In all the articles I have read of statements of Sec Jackson, she implied action but says they want Congress to handle it by Cap and Trade.

Read again what I posted - I did NOT say the EPA has no power for some type of action. I said perhaps they do not have the authority to establish the Cap and Trade program.

The statements I have read by the EPA people imply actions but NO where have I read that action would be Cap and Trade.

Therefore I wonder, do they not have the power to establish Cap and Trade? Perhaps they do, but I wonder why they did not say - if Congress does not enact Cap and Trade then we will. Instead, they imply and action but do not say what that action would be.

Therefore, because I ask a legitiment question you attack me?
If you have a link, please provide it.
Please quit playing ugly - if you have a point to make do it, if there is somewhere the EPA has declared they will enact Cap & Trade if Congress does not then provide the link. That is not a challenge I am presenting to you, that is a legitimate request. Because, I would like to know and I have not found that statement by the EPA.
And I just pointed out that such "questioning" lack any foundation. The EPA already has Cap & Trade for two other pollutants under the same law.

And VEC take your hair shirt off. I "attacked" the simplistic idea that you put forward not you.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
They did last year. Said the EPA was required to regulate CO2 if they determined the science of global warm indicated it was a problem.
Alright...but I don't see the Constitution as giving authority for the EPA to even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies