Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I see you've never been beyond the white picket fence......
LOL I have been all over the world. Fought in as many wars and police actions as I have fingers on one hand. White picket fence? There is no white picket fence.
This individual took it upon herself to go to a country that is openly hostile to the USA and Americans in general. What did she think would happen? That they would say oh wonderful a liberated woman from America has graced us with her presence? She has earned what ever fate has in store for her. Hey maybe they will allow her to report from prison the wonderful hospitality that Iran offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Are you saying that Iran doesn't regularily torture its political dissidents? My god, how naive if you are taking that position.
I bet you believed Achmedenijiad when he said that Iran had no homosexuals....except for those dead ones hanging on street corners...

No one is saying that Iran doesn't torture people.

The question is if Iran suspects Saberi of being a spy, and chooses to waterboard her to extract information about her spying activities, is Iran wrong?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL I have been all over the world. Fought in as many wars and police actions as I have fingers on one hand. White picket fence? There is no white picket fence.
This individual took it upon herself to go to a country that is openly hostile to the USA and Americans in general. What did she think would happen? That they would say oh wonderful a liberated woman from America has graced us with her presence? She has earned what ever fate has in store for her. Hey maybe they will allow her to report from prison the wonderful hospitality that Iran offers.
She's not just an American. She's also an Iranian. The Iranians don't even recognize her American citizenship.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

The question is if Iran suspects Saberi of being a spy, and chooses to waterboard her to extract information about her spying activities, is Iran wrong?
She is an American citizen...Obama needs to do what ever it takes to bring her home!!! That is the right thing to do!!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
No, but unfortunately thanks to Bushco and the violations of the Geneva Convention and the way we've crapped on Muslims since 2001......
it would not be unexpected.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM

683 posts, read 825,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I remember, and do care about civil rights for suspected terrorists . . . ever think about the chance that you might be considered a threat based on a political opinion that you might post here? Would you take favorably to being tortured because you are suspected of terrorist leanings?

I take comfort in the civil rights spelled out in the US Constitution.
I also would like to take comfort in the civil rights spelled out in the US Constitution.

Such as not having to cover up a picture of Jesus Christ when our muslim president comes to visit.....

We should waterboard the politicians starting with that pagan nut job Pelosi.....

Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
She is an American citizen...Obama needs to do what ever it takes to bring her home!!! That is the right thing to do!!
She's also an Iranian citizen....maybe the Iranians think she is already home!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What info did she give the US that helped the US kill thousands of Iranians? I had no idea we had ever been at war with Iran
Iran is at war with "Terror" and "Espionage"... the info that she provided is top secret so we don't know what it is... but that is the Iranian government's claim... so they would like to torture an American citizen... and under America's theory of self-defense, they are justified.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
She's not just an American. She's also an Iranian. The Iranians don't even recognize her American citizenship.
In which case why do we even care? Once again did she think that Iran would welcome her with open arms? She has earned her rewards.
As to the question do I think it wrong if Iran feels the need to waterboard her? I think that it is none of my business. I don't agree with torture and never will. That said what I agree with matters not at all, what matters is reality. The reality is that Iran does believe in torture and will continue to torture anyone they see fit to torture. Roxana will be fortunate indeed if all they do is waterboard her. I suspect rape and even worse may await her.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:

No, but then I don't believe in torture regardless of who is doing the interogating.
I don't belive torture extracts reliable information, nor do I believe gitmo contained terrorists so much as made more terrorists. After all, Islamists tend to like their martyrs, you know?

So, Saberi shouldn't be tortured by anyone. Saberi is also a US citizen regardless to having once been an Iranian citizen (or holding a duel citizenship,whatevs). The main thing is that as an American citizen, what is our government doing to get her out of Iran? My guess is jack****e.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies