Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I think you misunderstood me.

There's no way you can legitimately claim that a $100 bottle of wine is not a specialty item. Craftsman is a brand manufactured for a single retailer - specialty. Specific brands of beef...
If you bothered to read the thread, you would have noted that my post was in direct response to the specific brands that I buy. I buy only quality brands, which obviously Wal-Mart does not carry.

Quote:
There's a difference between Purina and Nutro, but those specialty foods such as the one you buy only exist to make their owners feel good about themselves. Trust me - your dog would do just as well (if not better) on Nutro or Iams. But it's your choice, of course, and the foo-foo food you're buying is certainly better than most grocery store brands. I just think it's silly that people buy so many of these brands based on little more than the name. There's even vegetarian dog and cat foods out there - insane!
This demonstrates just how little you know about dog food in general, and about quality specifically. Try comparing the ingredients before shooting off your mouth about something you clearly know nothing about. It isn't any wonder why you shop at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Why do you have a problem with Wal*Mart being exactly what they're trying to be? Are you really so far above spending 2/3 what "the other guy" is charging for the same tube of toothpaste just so that you can tell people that you don't shop there?
I have a problem with any store that sells cheap crap. Wal-Mart just happens to be number one on the list, but if you recall, I also included K-Mart and Target in the same category. Unlike most Americans who shop at Wal-Mart, I want value for my dollar and that means buying quality goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Costco and Wal-Mart are NOTHING like each other.

Costco is a warehouse wholesaler that you buy a membership to and you can purchase items in bulk for deep discounts. How that is "yuppie" is beyond me. Yuppies rarely shop at Costco because, by definition, yuppies tend to be single or without kids.

Wal-Mart is a megastore that has a bit of everything for low prices. You don't have to have a membership or buy in bulk.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO COSTCO?
They're identical in that both encourage consumerism of the very worst kind, only with different target audiences.

The utter desolation of the WalMart experience, with its shoddy asian imported food (often labelled to resemble major domestic brands) and mind-numbing purple lighting is matched by CostCo's East German security system (may I check your purchases, sir?) and the naked appeals to snobbery in its "membership" mentality and appeal to what amounts to upscale impulse buying, only of an eclectic nature.

They are unhealthy examples of what this country has become: a clinic for shopping therapy and a source of lots of STUFF, both of which address needs which previously did not exist.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I guess that's really the only question. why do liberals hate wal mart? why is a company that makes money the whipping boy, while we love the auto companies we bail out.
what does wal mart have to do with the auto industry... for 1 imnot a liberal and for 2 is wal mart asking for bailout money?

wal-mart makes alot of money but pays its employees 5hit lol.. i always thought thats what you conservatives were always babbling about, business making more money so they can so called hire new people and or increase their wages lol

thats not always the case

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Love to hear this one.
did you read post 2 yet

Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
I'm liberal and love Wal-mart. In the conservative infested small town I live everytime I go into a local store the sales people follow me around like I'm a shoplifter, want id for most purchases, act like my money ain't good enough for them. Wal-mart can't get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I'm liberal and love Wal-mart. In the conservative infested small town I live everytime I go into a local store the sales people follow me around like I'm a shoplifter, want id for most purchases, act like my money ain't good enough for them. Wal-mart can't get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
Sounds like you need to stop pilfering, using fake ID, and counterfeiting.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sounds like you need to stop pilfering, using fake ID, and counterfeiting.
Naw, just wait until a Wal-Mart opens.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i have a problem with slave labor, most american dont unless its them.
however that does not seem to stop me from shopping at walmart shame on me.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
how does wal mart have power? no one needs their services.
They do in my town, after Walmart killed many, many businesses. If I want craft supplies or hardware, which I use all the time, I have to get them at Walmart or take a two hour bus ride to another town.

Not only have they killed the mom-and-pop businesses, but they've driven out the big chains like Ace Hardware, Michaels Crafts and JoAnn Fabrics.

Try watching the films "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price" and "Is Walmart Good for America?"

I think they lie about some of their goods being made in America. Sorry, don't have the research right in front of me right now and don't have time to find it. Try googling "Walmart lies about being American made".

Their merchandise is often crap.

Just watch the films and count the human rights violations and plain dirty-dealing, and then ask me the question again.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I hate WalMart because they destroy business. By purchasing things in bulk they can drive down the prices which then cause locally owned business (the people who actually SPEND money in the community) to leave or disappear. While WalMarts profits go to the shareholders, CEOs and minions of the wal mart empire, local mom and pop businesses buy LOCALLY and spend their money on the community which props their business up.

I haven't shopped at wal mart in nearly 6 years and I don't plan on doing so in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies