Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Wasn't it you that said liberals can't debate this issue without resorting to name calling? Or was that someone else?
Perhaps you've been unable to distinguish between those who offer intelligent counter arguments while some just play games and call names.

Quote:
Pedophiles hurt children who are too young to consent to anything. Not the same thing.
What does victimization have to do with anything? It's their nature. You're saying they have to change their nature. Moderator cut: personal attack

Quote:
Even they are not denied teh right to marry. Criminals are allowed to break laws and face the consequences. They are not denied the right to marry.
Moderator cut: personal attack They were born to commit crimes and now you're going to treat them badly because they violate laws that were ignorantly wirtten to not take their nature into account. Or do you pretend that if we passed some laws making homosexual acts unlawful you'd support gays being punished?

Quote:
Alcoholics have the right to be alcoholics so long as they don't harm anyone else. Being an alcoholic alone is not against the law. They aren't denied the right to marry. It is not against the law to be gay. Yet, they are denied the right to marry. It doesn't matter what their instincts are, so long as they're not hurting anyone. Divorcees and adulterers threaten those same values you're worried about protecting, but since the majority of people do not suppress those those behaviors, it's accepted. Let's not get into the double standards.
Double standards? You're the one who wants to put limits on some people's behaviors even though the are born to do certain things while giving another group a free pass.

An alcoholic gets drunk then decides to drive. He's drunk and got that way because he was predisposed to get drunk and then when he doesn't have his full faculties because he's drunk you want to hold him into account as if he were completely sober. Moderator cut: NO NAME CALLING

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-24-2009 at 10:46 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,539 times
Quote:
And you have the right to your religious beliefs, as does everyone else. But you don't necessarily have the right to force your beliefs upon everyone else or expect everyone to live by your religious beliefs.
I partially agree with you....I don't have the right to force my religious beliefs on other people but if I'm in the majority then I can vote my beliefs into law. The 'majority' rules thing sucks sometimes....the majority used to believe in slavery and other crap like that so it's more just a sign of the times then anything. Flash forward 100 years and I have no doubt that gay marriage will be legal in most, if not all, states. Mainly because the younger generations have a lot more acceptance of gays and gay marriage.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
More name calling when asked to answer tough questions. Why is it the conservatives think the liberals have a monopoly on the name calling?
How many posts have I made in this thread? How many questions have I answered? Keep pretending...

For every question you've answered I've answered about 5.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
pba

Default Pedophiles and drunk drivers?

[quote=Omahabound;8489169][quote=Ludachris;8488924]Wasn't it you that said liberals can't debate this issue without resorting to name calling? Or was that someone else?
Quote:
Perhaps you've been unable to distinguish between those who offer intelligent counter arguments while some just play games and call names.

What does victimization have to do with anything? It's their nature. You're saying they have to change their nature. Moderator cut: personal attack

Moderator cut: personal attack They were born to commit crimes and now you're going to treat them badly because they violate laws that were ignorantly wirtten to not take their nature into account. Or do you pretend that if we passed some laws making homosexual acts unlawful you'd support gays being punished?

Double standards? You're the one who wants to put limits on some people's behaviors even though the are born to do certain things while giving another group a free pass.

An alcoholic gets drunk then decides to drive. He's drunk and got that way because he was predisposed to get drunk and then when he doesn't have his full faculties because he's drunk you want to hold him into account as if he were completely sober. Moderator cut: Name calling
Wow, I sure hope we never discriminate against either of those groups. You're right, equal rights for ALL! Your statement is so far out of bounds it barely warrants a response.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-24-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Wow. No such thing as equal rights? Isn't that what our nation is all about "freedom and justice for all"? Isn't that a basic American value? Why should one group determine the rights of another?
You think there's equal rights? When white firemen score well on a test and minorities do not, those who scored well are penalized for their success because they're not minorities. Their promotions are withheld. LIBERALS believe the minorities are too stupid to succeed so the white man has to be held back to give the minority an opportunity. LIBERALS believe that the minorities with their natural talents cannot compete on the same level as those whites.

Equal rights? When a female firefighter is incapable of performing the physical tests of the job, she is not treated like a man who is unable to perform the physical tests, she has the rules changed to allow her to work despite her inability to perform the job.

Equal rights to liberals is to tear down those who excel to the lowest common denominator. That is pure idiocy.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
And you have the right to your religious beliefs, as does everyone else. But you don't necessarily have the right to force your beliefs upon everyone else or expect everyone to live by your religious beliefs.
Nor do secular humanists have the right to force their religion (SCOTUS recongnized religion) or values on the rest of us.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
More name calling when asked to answer tough questions. Why is it the conservatives think the liberals have a monopoly on the name calling?
He has anger management issues. I wonder why... I've read his posts and seems to be living in a very dark place.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Wow, I sure hope we never discriminate against either of those groups. You're right, equal rights for ALL! Your statement is so far out of bounds it barely warrants a response.
So you are about imposing a set of values on society huh? A drunk driver who does absolutely no damage to anyone else is still guilty of a crime? If a cop sees someone pull over their car and get out and stumble he will arrest him fro drunk driving. In fact, therre was a man arrested for drunk driving for merely being unconscious/drunk in his car outside a bar. He actually decided not to drive and sleep it off but because he was in the car with the keys he was arrested for drunk driving. No love for his predisposition. Instead we criminalize his behavior and predisposed gays and their supporters are fine with the hypocrisy of criminalizing one set of predisposed behavior while promoting their own.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Lets outlaw all behaviours and predispositions and just blow up the world because we are ANGRY.....

Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
So you are about imposing a set of values on society huh? A drunk driver who does absolutely no damage to anyone else is still guilty of a crime? If a cop sees someone pull over their car and get out and stumble he will arrest him fro drunk driving. In fact, therre was a man arrested for drunk driving for merely being unconscious/drunk in his car outside a bar. He actually decided not to drive and sleep it off but because he was in the car with the keys he was arrested for drunk driving. No love for his predisposition. Instead we criminalize his behavior and predisposed gays and their supporters are fine with the hypocrisy of criminalizing one set of predisposed behavior while promoting their own.
Yes, the drunk driver should be locked up for at least a year even if nobody gets hurt. Too much potential to kill people there and the behavior should be stopped.

The drunk you're referring to should have been arrested for being drunk in public. It's part of living in a civilized world where we've decided certain behaviors are unacceptable.

Predisposition does not matter. Being predisposed to being a pedophile or being a drunk does not mean the behavior isn't criminal. Mass murderers are probably predisposed to killing people because something in their brains just isn't quite right. So we shouldn't lock them up because they couldn't control themselves? That's pure crap and I think you know it.

Your analogies are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies