Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Spot on. God forbid she offer her opinion about murdering children in the womb. Liberals would be sending her to Gitmo.
as I said in the other thread related to Ms. California...
she is welcome to her opinion... but it doesn't mean the judges have to like what she says.. fact of the matter is.. one of the judges was gay... just as well one of the judges could have been a family values anti gay marriage advocate... If you're in a competition that represents the state and the country.. you have to be a bit tactful in answering questions...
Her answer WAS divisive.. it's not what she thinks that made her lose.. it was how she answered...
Consider if she had been asked her opinion on interacial marriage.. and the little half wit spouted out that she doesn't believe races should be mingling in marriage??? She certainly is welcome to her opinion.. but it doesn't win you a crown.... sorry

time to realize.. that you are welcomed to have an unfavorable opinion of gay marriage... but it is becoming politically incorrect and rude and intolerant to voice those beliefs in a public forum.. much in the way segregation and racist talk has become... as it should be...
if you think for one minute that because your opinion is not being accepted that somehow your rights to free speech are being hindered.. I don't know what to tell you other than that you need to probably work on not being so self absorbed.. You're welcome to that belief.. that is where your fist and other people's noses begin... and don't be surprised if people start telling you to shut up and keep it to yourself or that they don't want to hear it anymore!
because that is Their right as well

Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
as I said in the other thread related to Ms. California...
she is welcome to her opinion... but it doesn't mean the judges have to like what she says.. fact of the matter is.. one of the judges was gay... just as well one of the judges could have been a family values anti gay marriage advocate... If you're in a competition that represents the state and the country.. you have to be a bit tactful in answering questions...
Her answer WAS divisive..
People like you define tactful as offering an opinion that supports your view.

Quote:
it's not what she thinks that made her lose.. it was how she answered...
Except that's not what a judge said.

Quote:
Consider if she had been asked her opinion on interacial marriage.. and the little half wit spouted out that she doesn't believe races should be mingling in marriage??? She certainly is welcome to her opinion.. but it doesn't win you a crown.... sorry
Thank you for using the gay "rights" = civil (race) rights. You affirm that any answer other than the liberal answer would have been unacceptable.

Quote:
time to realize.. that you are welcomed to have an unfavorable opinion of gay marriage... but it is becoming politically incorrect and rude and intolerant to voice those beliefs in a public forum.. much in the way segregation and racist talk has become... as it should be...
if you think for one minute that because your opinion is not being accepted that somehow your rights to free speech are being hindered.. I don't know what to tell you other than that you need to probably work on not being so self absorbed.. You're welcome to that belief.. that is where your fist and other people's noses begin... and don't be surprised if people start telling you to shut up and keep it to yourself or that they don't want to hear it anymore!
because that is Their right as well
Yep, typical liberal, agree with us or be punished. THAT IS TOLERANCE! So much for the diversity of views and beliefs.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,889 times
It's amazing the contestant is the one described by the media as the one "who created the furor with her controversial answer." She was asked a question. She answered. it. If anybody created controversy, it was Perez Hilton the questioner.

Has anybody ever noticed leftwing people and positions aren't called "controversial" but conservatives ones are?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
miss California is a poster child for the ball gag.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:

Thank you for using the gay "rights" = civil (race) rights. You affirm that any answer other than the liberal answer would have been unacceptable.

Yep, typical liberal, agree with us or be punished. THAT IS TOLERANCE! So much for the diversity of views and beliefs.

I understand what you're getting at. Unfortunately, when representing a state as big as California your personal opinions don't matter. Answers should be neutral, non offensive and concise. She should have said something along the lines of 'I believe that it is up to the states to decide whether or not certain unions should be legislated.' Nice, neutral and vague. Just like beauty pageant contests are supposed to be. She said her piece and considering beauty pageants are notoriously run by many gay men, she should not be surprised that her answer was not acceptable.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I understand what you're getting at. Unfortunately, when representing a state as big as California your personal opinions don't matter. Answers should be neutral, non offensive and concise. She should have said something along the lines of 'I believe that it is up to the states to decide whether or not certain unions should be legislated.' Nice, neutral and vague. Just like beauty pageant contests are supposed to be. She said her piece and considering beauty pageants are notoriously run by many gay men, she should not be surprised that her answer was not acceptable.

She's representing the state as a beauty queen. Yes, it's a scholarship program, but it's a scholarship program where the contestants are rated on how they look in a bikini and an evening gown.

They've added the political questions to the show not for the sake of political correctness, but to show that these women are multi-dimensional, that they think and care about the issues of the day.

You think she should set an example by mouthing an empty politically-correct answer. Why?

She was asked her opinion, and she showed enough integrity to give it honestly and straightforwardly. She knew the person asking the question was gay, and yet she still gave her honest answer. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Having now watched this clip of her response, absolutely should could have answered better. Yet at the same time and as you point out, "Answers should be neutral , non-offensive, and vague". So then why ask such a politically charged question, because even if she said, I support gay marriage, someone in California would have been offended. While I expect a politician who is versed in the art of the dodge and verbose obfuscation to get around such a hot button issue, to expect some Miss America contestant to have this ability is a bit baited.

After all this is a beauty pageant where women are supposed to be attractive, volunteer for helping the homeless, and play the flute, not an application for ambassadorship to the UN.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She's representing the state as a beauty queen. Yes, it's a scholarship program, but it's a scholarship program where the contestants are rated on how they look in a bikini and an evening gown.

They've added the political questions to the show not for the sake of political correctness, but to show that these women are multi-dimensional, that they think and care about the issues of the day.

You think she should set an example by mouthing an empty politically-correct answer. Why?

She was asked her opinion, and she showed enough integrity to give it honestly and straightforwardly. She knew the person asking the question was gay, and yet she still gave her honest answer. I see nothing wrong with that.

It's not a 'scholarship program', it's a beauty pageant. I guess in some instances, being neutral and politically correct has it's benefits, eh?

I agree that she had integrity and I'm actually very impressed that she gave the answer she did. I just think it's ridiculous how she's obsessing over it and doing 'church tours'. Also, it wasn't her answer that was bad, it was the way she answered it... not quite sure of what she was talking about. She didn't seem confident, she sounded weak and confused. That's the biggest part that bothered me.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Having now watched this clip of her response, absolutely should could have answered better. Yet at the same time and as you point out, "Answers should be neutral , non-offensive, and vague". So then why ask such a politically charged question, because even if she said, I support gay marriage, someone in California would have been offended. While I expect a politician who is versed in the art of the dodge and verbose obfuscation to get around such a hot button issue, to expect some Miss America contestant to have this ability is a bit baited.

After all this is a beauty pageant where women are supposed to be attractive, volunteer for helping the homeless, and play the flute, not an application for ambassadorship to the UN.

Exactly. I think asking a politically charged question was great, as it shows the girls ability to think on their feet and come up with an answer that is articulate and can please the most amount of people at the same time.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:

typical liberal??
you are so quick to label and freak out..
think about what you're saying...
I advocate gay marriage.. I am gay..
but you know what.. If I was up there in a pair of heels trying to win a crown.. I wouldn't have bolted out with Advocating gay marriage either!!!!
check yourself... and don't be ignorant..
She should have taken the high road and not created a storm by being devisive.. As I said, A judge could have very well been mormon or some christian conservative.. you never know! Ms. America contest is not about going up on stage and just "being yourself" lets not kid ourselves
Grow up and recognize what she did makes her deserve to not win.. and you're right.. Perez hilton was a twit about it.. He shouldn't have called her a stupid b*tch and carried on like a fruit loop.
He did however say.. his reasoning for not voting for her was because he answer was divisive..
She has every right to her opinion... nobody is hauling her off to jail... but nobody is going to be giving her a platform if she is going to spout divisive answers to questions...because half the people in the audience don't agree with her!
and YES.. Gay rights are equal to civil rights.. I'm gay.. as far as I'm concerned I was born this way.. If you'd like me to illustrate how I knew.. I certainly can do that.. but I'll just say.. I can remember being in 1st grade and having crushes on other boys.. and chasing them with the girls on the playground..

Check yourself.. and quit thinking your a victim because people don't like what you say....
nobody is putting a conservative in jail or telling them they can't express their opinion.. the reality is.. People don't want to hear it.. because they're tired of hearing it.. and don't agree! simple as that...
Opinions are opinions.. and certainly nobody's is better than anyone else's but when there is more and more evidence supporting the fact that your opinion is false.. you could do what's noble and educate yourself on that evidence.. and not insist on spouting your opinion and demanding it to be accepted when it is easily proven to be false...That is where many people have a problem with conservative points of view on social issues... You don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to evidence and reasoning.. all you have is your god, your bible and what your fat pastor is telling you each sunday.. sorry hun, that's not evidence or reasoning..
grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies