Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 AM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I think the problem with pit bulls is their size and power. If they do become aggressive, it's not likely to be a little nip and may easily become life threatening situation.

It's like carrying a loaded gun. The gun itself is not inherently bad but there are a lot of people who have no business carrying one.

For a lot of people, a pit is a status symbol that conveys "I'm a bad*ss", especially down here in the redneck riviera of Northern Florida. Jacked up pick ups with confederate flags and a pit bull left unattended in the back is what I see every day. Our local shelters are always almost completely full of surrendered pits.

My personal experience with the breed has not been good. Last year, a construction worker was attacked in the middle of the street in my neighborhood, completely unprovoked. he was lying there bleeding and covering his head while they still attacked. It took three brave men to get the dog off that guy.

My old neighbors had two pit bulls. They dug under the fence, chewed through the screen to my porch and both got there jaws on my beloved cat. With much kicking and screaming, my husband was able to save my cat who would have been torn to shreds in a few more seconds.

I know other breeds can be vicious too, but at least in this area, the majority of attacks are by pit bulls.
I think it's like driving a semi for daily transportation. You won't get into any more wrecks than the guy driving a Tercel but when you do you will probably kill someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think it's like driving a semi for daily transportation. You won't get into any more wrecks than the guy driving a Tercel but when you do you will probably kill someone.
That is an excellent analogy! You summed up what I was trying to convey perfectly.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
As some have indicated the problem isn't with the breed but with the owners. Pits like other large dogs known for fighting abilities require a great deal social interaction as pups as well as training. In short it requires that the owners learn how to manage such dogs.
For example in this country Rottweilers are also known for unwarrented attacks. However in the country of origin it is unheard of for a Rottweiler to do such things.
Bad breeders and bad owners have given such breeds a bad name. People should understand that you need to do a little work if you intend to own such a breed. I myself love the Rottweiler and Pitbull breeds but have never owned one. I am a Lab man at heart. I never owned a Rotty or a pit because I understand that I might not be able to commit myself or my time to the degree needed.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
I had a golden retriever and a lab attack me when I was younger. I've been bitten more times than I can count by chihuahuas, yorkies, papillons etc etc. My pit bull has NEVER once bitten anyone nor has she shown any type of agression. Pit bulls are also only supposed to be 35 to 65 lbs according to the UKC. They are medium size dogs and the ones that are usually in the news are terrible representations of the breed, bred for nothing but size and 'scaryness' by backyard breeders and thugs.

Most people can't even pick a pit out of a lineup of 30 breeds...

Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,643,285 times
They can be good dogs if raised well, but when I see any in my yard, I don't hesitate to pull the trigger. Sad reality is, you simply can't bet on the goodwill of its owners to have raised it correctly. If you have other animals or children, that's too risky a bet to take.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
They can be good dogs if raised well, but when I see any in my yard, I don't hesitate to pull the trigger. Sad reality is, you simply can't bet on the goodwill of its owners to have raised it correctly. If you have other animals or children, that's too risky a bet to take.

Would you do that for ANY dog, or just pit bulls?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,643,285 times
Any dog of sufficient size to do serious damage to life or limb.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post! I see no need to have one of these savage, obviously hard to train and control, baby eaters except for making a point. A dangerous and stupid POINT!
As if there are no other breeds. Incompetent dog owners???YES, so they should get a golden retriever or Yorkie....something that doesn't KILL if neglected or ill-trained.

This thread is about a HEROIC dog, a positive ambassador for the breed.

There is a reason pit bulls originally had the nick name of "nanny dogs" - they PROTECT children. Unless, of course, it's a strange, stray child that comes up to a stray, frightened dog and yanks on its tail

Pit bulls are the #1 breed for becoming THERAPY dogs because of their propensity for bonding with people, and because they are least likely of any breed to be startled easily.

It is NOT a breed-bashing thread. In fact,you have degenerated this thread into a TOS-violating debate in a single closed-minded, reactionary, and hateful post.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,550,024 times
Here in Lafayette we have a little event called "bark in the park". Last time my wife and I attended there was this little old lady with a pitbull on a leash. The pitbull was a female wearing a pink tutu. She, the dog, had a grin from ear to ear and was obviously one of the most spoiled and pampered poochs there that day. She was friendly to all the dogs and people. Our poor little chihuahua was scared. She's always scared of dogs bigger than her. However, when she's scared like that, she puts up a vicious front with barking and snapping. She's not vicious, she's scared. We've seen what she's like when she's about to attack and it's a different look and sound. What's weird is our dog is ultra friendly to people, uncommon among some chihuahuas, but isn't very social with dogs except others her size.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,792,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
This thread is about a HEROIC dog, a positive ambassador for the breed.

There is a reason pit bulls originally had the nick name of "nanny dogs" - they PROTECT children. Unless, of course, it's a strange, stray child that comes up to a stray, frightened dog and yanks on its tail

Pit bulls are the #1 breed for becoming THERAPY dogs because of their propensity for bonding with people, and because they are least likely of any breed to be startled easily.

It is NOT a breed-bashing thread. In fact,you have degenerated this thread into a TOS-violating debate in a single closed-minded, reactionary, and hateful post.
If I mention the hubby needed more training than the dog, is that too far off OP that you'd TOS me?

How to romance your woman back-- text message suicide threats, come at her with a knife, drag her around in the street... the path to marital bliss. Some guys just build a dog house.

Nice doggie, and she sure does deserve that steak. That dog whisperer show convinced me it's mostly about people letting their animal down. Doesn't make me an expert but I could definately see his point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies