Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If I mention the hubby needed more training than the dog, is that too far off OP that you'd TOS me?
It's not even about being off-topic. This thread should be in the Dogs forum, first of all. And in that forum, it is explicitly stated that any "pit bull attack" posts or breed bashing are forbidden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,229 times

A family pit bull attacked a 5-year old boy this past week - just about 10 miles from where I live...

He required over 1,000 stitches to his face, head and upper body...

The dog was a pet of his Aunt's - and he was visiting for the day...

Reports say the dog suddenly attacked - for no apparent reason...

These stories are repeated over and over for this breed....

I know dog-lovers will object - but I think this breed is inherently aggressive and dangerous.

Owners should be held liable for any injuries their pit bulls cause.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
This thread is about a HEROIC dog, a positive ambassador for the breed.

There is a reason pit bulls originally had the nick name of "nanny dogs" - they PROTECT children. Unless, of course, it's a strange, stray child that comes up to a stray, frightened dog and yanks on its tail

Pit bulls are the #1 breed for becoming THERAPY dogs because of their propensity for bonding with people, and because they are least likely of any breed to be startled easily.

It is NOT a breed-bashing thread. In fact,you have degenerated this thread into a TOS-violating debate in a single closed-minded, reactionary, and hateful post.
OH! And what was YOUR point????

This isn't the slobbering I love my doggie Forum....it's for politics and CONTROVERSY! So WHY did you post here...to prove some unprovable point????

A dog saving a woman is NOT political and NOT controversial......

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
They can be good dogs if raised well, but when I see any in my yard, I don't hesitate to pull the trigger. Sad reality is, you simply can't bet on the goodwill of its owners to have raised it correctly. If you have other animals or children, that's too risky a bet to take.
Thank you Thank you Thank you for valuing HUMAN LIFE over making a point with a dog! Such common sense!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,854,532 times
Thank you Sailor Dave for posting this. I think that there is so much fear mongering about pitbulls in the media that we need to post the positives of this wonderful breed. I have a pitbull and its the best dog I've ever owned. She was found beaten near starvation. I rescued her against what everyone else told me and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. My pitbull is also a facelicker that loves people and playing with other dogs. I don't take her to the dog run simply because all dogs fight and people will make a much bigger deal because she is a pitbull. She was once attacke dby a rottweiler and it was like a big game to her. The other dog tried to attack her but she just dodged every attack as if it was a game of tag and didn't return any agrression.

I agrre with Delussiane that the problem with the breed is that losers are attracted to their loyalty and strength and don't realize that they need lots of excercise and attention to be happy. Some of these losers actually try to enhance aggression in the breed to make up for their own short comings. Pitbulls are the only breed to be bred to be non aggresive toward people. Today however people are breeding them to be larger and more aggressive in order to make money. The properly bred pitbull is nonagressive but game(which means it will work with all its might to complete any task the owner asks of it) which is why the people that fight dogs use them.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,034,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Pit bulls arent born vicious, they're made that way by horrible people.

They used to have a great reputation as smart, loyal loving companions -

Cesar Milan's "Daddy" is a pit bull... "Petey" from Our Gang was a pit bull!

Petey! My favorite dog actor ever. He was the ultimate kids dog.

I had a pit bull a while back. He was a trained killer, no kidding, but became my pet. The problem with this breed is that evil people get them and torture them. This breed of dog has massive jaws that can be deadly.

I actually want the breed to be rare. I don't think they should make them illegal, I don't know what is to be done. They deserve better than to be servants to horrid gang arse-holes that are trying to prove how manly they are.

Makes me cry to think of all the pits that are being raised by evil people. I miss my little sweet boy. I respected his strength and kept him away from strangers and kids. Not a breed for everyone.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
I had a pit bull a while back. He was a trained killer, no kidding, but became my pet. The problem with this breed is that evil people get them and torture them. This breed of dog has massive jaws that can be deadly.
Fair point, but the bully breeds do not actually have the strongest jaws of all dog breeds - there are a number that are stronger.

The only reason "pit bulls" have been chosen as fighting dogs is that they are the most eager to please PEOPLE - so if an owner wants them to fight, they will fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Makes me cry to think of all the pits that are being raised by evil people. I miss my little sweet boy. I respected his strength and kept him away from strangers and kids. Not a breed for everyone.
Agreed... me too.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OH! And what was YOUR point????

This isn't the slobbering I love my doggie Forum....it's for politics and CONTROVERSY! So WHY did you post here...to prove some unprovable point????

A dog saving a woman is NOT political and NOT controversial......
Uh, I didn't - I'm not the OP, in case you haven't noticed

Agreed - it's not political, it is merely heartwarming

Your attitude toward innocent animals makes me sick.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,798,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Here in Lafayette we have a little event called "bark in the park". Last time my wife and I attended there was this little old lady with a pitbull on a leash. The pitbull was a female wearing a pink tutu. She, the dog, had a grin from ear to ear and was obviously one of the most spoiled and pampered poochs there that day. She was friendly to all the dogs and people. Our poor little chihuahua was scared. She's always scared of dogs bigger than her. However, when she's scared like that, she puts up a vicious front with barking and snapping. She's not vicious, she's scared. We've seen what she's like when she's about to attack and it's a different look and sound. What's weird is our dog is ultra friendly to people, uncommon among some chihuahuas, but isn't very social with dogs except others her size.
I guess there's something about personalities of animals and breeds that make me more or less compatible. Small dogs are neurotic around me and our personalities clash. I just never understood them much. Labs & mutts seem just right because they go with the flow more and aren't as insecure. Labs are perfect on boats & ideal temperaments around kids. I don't bother with pedigree much because there's always one more dog to be spared at the pound. I've always had luck with American mutz.

Correction -- the one breed of small dog I hit it off with was a weiner dog that was very well socialized. We got along like peas n carrots.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,288,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post! I see no need to have one of these savage, obviously hard to train and control, baby eaters except for making a point. A dangerous and stupid POINT!
As if there are no other breeds. Incompetent dog owners???YES, so they should get a golden retriever or Yorkie....something that doesn't KILL if neglected or ill-trained.
Did you know that golden retrievers have a higher incidence of bites than pit bulls?

Pit bulls are neither "savage" nor "hard to train and control." And, in fact, they have been used as babysitters for eons. The pit bull's most enduring characteristic is its loyalty to its family. They are the most gentle of dogs. The fact that they have become a status symbol for the lowest of the low among humanity, and that they are abused into insanity--well, that could be done to any dog.

the pit bull problem (what is man without the beasts?) - flash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies