Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you belong to any minority group that has faced widespread discrimination?
Yes 90 89.11%
No 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

For example:

Sexual orientation
Skin color
Disability
Minority religion/beliefs
Ethnicity
Others?

I know some of you will want to say you've faced discrimination as Christians, but please, don't. That isn't a minority group.

Other groups that aren't minorities: Men, women, liberals, conservatives, whites, middle-class, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Check and see how the Cajuns or Acadians were treated by Union Soldiers and carpetbaggers following the end of the Civil War. They did their best to eliminate Cajun French. Even brought in teachers from up north. If a kid spoke French in class his or her punishment was severe. At best it was a whipping with a paddle. Sometimes it was a punch to the face or a whipping with a bullwhip. When my dad joined the Navy there were guys who told him he wasn't cajun because he didn't have webbed hands and feet. When I joined the Navy many of them thought that was the first time I ever wore shoes or walked on dry land. Even more thought cajuns were stupid and ignorant people who live in the swamps. Imagine their surprise when after bootcamp I entered the Navy's Nuclear Power program. Never set foot in a swamp in my life. Drove over and past a swamp a few times. Acadians had a hard time ever since the British kicked them out their homes up in Canada. After the Civil War, things didn't start to get better for cajuns until well after WW2. Funny thing is, Uncle Sam now saw a use for those cajuns. They were sent to France.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Yes. Irish.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Yes, I'm chemically sensitive.
I'm allergic to petrochemicals and aldehydes.

I can tell horror stories about what people have done to me to watch me fall down or see my face swell up and become disfigured.
I can go into anaphalaxis shock and possibly stop breathing when my throat swells up.

Pretty funny. Not.
_____
Doc, what kind of discrimination do you face being Irish.
I'm interested because I'm half Irish and have never experienced any discrimination as a result.
My grandfather did when he first came to the US.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, I'm chemically sensitive.
I'm allergic to petrochemicals and aldehydes.

I can tell horror stories about what people have done to me to watch me fall down or see my face swell up and become disfigured.
I can go into anaphalaxis shock and possibly stop breathing when my throat swells up.

Pretty funny. Not.
_____
Doc, what kind of discrimination do you face being Irish.
I'm interested because I'm half Irish and have never experienced any discrimination as a result.
My grandfather did when he first came to the US.
In the 1800's (mid to late) following the potato famine in Ireland, many Irish migrated to America and faced lots of hate and discrimination from the natives in NYC and Boston. There is a film "the gangs of NY" that is soemwhat based on this. I can't say about discrimination towards the Irish recently though

Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
chielgirl;

I can tell horror stories about what people have done to me to watch me fall down or see my face swell up and become disfigured.......

I don't know what else to say other than that's horrible, inhuman behavior. I've never known anyone that sadistic.
_____
Quote:
Doc, what kind of discrimination do you face being Irish.....
Me, none. I took the question, as I saw it, literally and I thought of the harsh manner in which the Irish were treated at the social, business and political levels in the 19th century.

Quote:
"Do you belong to any minority group that has faced widespread discrimination?"

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Yeah, as I said my grandfather couldn't find work so he ended up in the coal mines. There are signs from New York saying Irish need not apply. Here's a google link to many links and signs: irish need not apply - Google Search

Aldehydes are prevalent in perfumes and fragrance products (they also include other chemicals, carcinogens among them. Health Risks of Common Chemicals in Fragrance Products)

Some people are very tied into their colognes, and think it's attractive.
Meanwhile we're sexually attracted to others because of our/their pheramones, colognes cover that up. (Could that be a reason for so much divorce?)
Some of the chemicals are desensitizers, so the wearer doesn't realize that they're marinating in it.
Dryer sheets contain formaldehyde, think crib death and babies who have unformed lungs.

Other people are just evil and mean.
Chemically sensitive people comprise about 20% of the population of the US. Those who are extremely sensitive (I'm one of them) comprise about 12% of the general population.

Imagine trying to go to church, concerts, plays, parties, work...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,313 times
Yes...I am gay! We face discrimination, but little by little it is disappearing.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Yep,
I'm white & because of that everything wrong with America is my fault.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
For example:

Sexual orientation
Skin color
Disability
Minority religion/beliefs
Ethnicity
Others?

I know some of you will want to say you've faced discrimination as Christians, but please, don't. That isn't a minority group.

Other groups that aren't minorities: Men, women, liberals, conservatives, whites, middle-class, etc.
Women ARE considered a minority and, as they are over half the population, are the MOST discriminated against.

AND: you forgot Old People....I have experienced much discrimination as a woman but more so as I aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies