Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What a strange and bizzare characterization.

Obama has expanded the attacks on suspected al-Qaeda and Taliban targets in Pakistan, he has added 15,000 troops to Afghanistan and much to the chagrin of many of his left supporters has defended the warrantless wiretaps, and use of other anti-terrorist methods devised by the Bush Administration. And, to top it off, in his first 3:00AM phone call dispatched a Navy SEAL team to dispatch 3 Somali pirates, yet despite all of that, you would still characterize his security policies as simply "playing nice"?!?

I do believe that you, like many, confuse the lack of bluster and bravado with weakness. Bush was the little man shiite talker in barroom, I suspect that Obama is more like the tall quiet guy in the corner who you really have to look out for.
And on 9/10/2001 the Bush administration was taking steps to cut the espionage budget. They thought Clinton was 'obsessed' with Bin Laden and were not in the least interested in continuing those efforts.
Oops.

As for spin, I find it fascinating that again, the OP has excerpted just the bits that they think make their case and leave it to others to actually read the entire article. How do you ignore these words:
"The information gained from these techniques was valuable in some instances, but there is no way of knowing whether the same information could have been obtained through other means,” Admiral Blair said in a written statement issued last night. “The bottom line is these techniques have hurt our image around the world, the damage they have done to our interests far outweighed whatever benefit they gave us and they are not essential to our national security."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Default Quotes for the Day

Quote for the Day, from Andrew Sullivan:

“The physical and psychological pressures we apply in training violate national and international laws. … I hope someone is explaining this to all these folks asking for our techniques and methodology!” - JPRA instructor Joseph Witsch, to a Pentagon working group on interrogations.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Quote for the Day II

""Wouldn't that be illegal?" - a military official when briefed on the Bush administration's plans to torture prisoners to get intelligence long before they ordered up the "legal" memos to give them retroactive cover."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

See the connection?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
NYT: Harsh techniques worked, intel chief says - White House- msnbc.com

President Obama’s national intelligence director told colleagues in a private memo last week that the harsh interrogation techniques banned by the White House did produce significant information that helped the nation in its struggle with terrorists. “High value information came from interrogations in which those methods were used and provided a deeper understanding of the al Qa’ida organization that was attacking this country,” Adm. Dennis C. Blair, the intelligence director, wrote in a memo to his staff last Thursday.

Translation = Dead Americans!!!

Now that they're starting to squeal and rat each other out the extent of their lies is becoming clear.

Senate Report Links CIA To Military's Harsh Tactics : NPR

Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
If so, don't complain when a country or group tortures captured American soldiers or citizens.
That's already been done. I say fight fire with fire. I could care less about what happens to the scum that we capture.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And on 9/10/2001 the Bush administration was taking steps to cut the espionage budget. They thought Clinton was 'obsessed' with Bin Laden and were not in the least interested in continuing those efforts.
Oops.
I know, I posted the same either here or on another thread... there are so many of these damned things.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
If your gonna bring up charges against the Bush Administration on Inhumane tactics to get information, then bring out the Information that was gotten as a result of the Interrogations!

Dont bring out that we water boarded people and tell them this and that, and make us look bad, let the World know what we got because of the water boarding! Then, they can see if its justified or not! If it save just one life, I say cut thier fingers toes and every other body part they need to lose, to gain good info, to stop a terrorist attack! Waterboarding included!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Yes, but because I am a Christian, I believe that evil needs to be stopped when it comes to them killing our friends and neighbors...Sorry if that doesnt agree with the LORD, but, I have my family and I want them protected!!! Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
delusianne...you can spin it all you want for Obama...The simple reality is that Obama and his people cannot deal with the previous administration's success in stopping terror in America...What it really boils down to, is that Obama is trying to chum it up with people who despise us. He actually believes that this country was immoral and unjust before he was elected.

Again---translation = Dead Americans
How did the previous administration "stop terror in America"? Bush was warned one month before 9/11--by the Israeli Mossad--that a major attack was imminent. He ignored them. So, actually, we were attacked BECAUSE of Bush.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
How did the previous administration "stop terror in America"? Bush was warned one month before 9/11--by the Israeli Mossad--that a major attack was imminent. He ignored them. So, actually, we were attacked BECAUSE of Bush.

Actually it is BILL CLINTON's fault!
He aborted 3 attempts to capture or kill Bin laden

The capture plan was just one of about a half dozen instances before the Sept. 11 attacks when the C.I.A.'s informants in Afghanistan provided enough information to consider attacking Mr. bin Laden. But each time, the operation was aborted.
If intelligence was limited, so was diplomacy.
In 1998, Mr. bin Laden issued a public call for any Muslim to kill any American, military or civilian, anywhere in the world.

http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=9...-bin-laden.txt

Last edited by Miborn; 04-23-2009 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
If your gonna bring up charges against the Bush Administration on Inhumane tactics to get information, then bring out the Information that was gotten as a result of the Interrogations!

Dont bring out that we water boarded people and tell them this and that, and make us look bad, let the World know what we got because of the water boarding! Then, they can see if its justified or not! If it save just one life, I say cut thier fingers toes and every other body part they need to lose, to gain good info, to stop a terrorist attack! Waterboarding included!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Yes, but because I am a Christian, I believe that evil needs to be stopped when it comes to them killing our friends and neighbors...Sorry if that doesnt agree with the LORD, but, I have my family and I want them protected!!! Jesse
Thats right they are leaving out the detail that there was suppose to be a attack in LA, California but he held back and decided to wait for another day.
To damn bad the Hollywood set doesn't appreciate this little fact. I wonder how they would feel if there town was decimated and their kids and families killed.
It was only after they got tough with the terrorist that he gave up this bit of information.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Just heard a radio commentator state the waterboarding investigations and potential trials will serve to help the current Administration by keeping citizens attention focused on it and distracted from things currently going on in the Admin. Said will also help to keep the "blame" on Bush.

Very interesting perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies