Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times

Advertisements

what's the difference between the two? is it just the marriage license tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
A civil union is performed in a courthouse by a judge or court official (non religious clergy) with no religious ceremony.

It's all MARRIAGE! Nobody says I'm going to a "marriage" they say I'm attending a "wedding".

It's the homosexuals who want to use the word "marriage" in their legal push for having same sex unions.

That's the bottom line.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Johnny Politician can't be elected without the Christian vote. It makes the homosexuals happy while keeping the majority-Christian electorate from blowing a gasket over "marriage."

I'll never be in a "civil union" so I can't vouch for the financial benefit/tax side of the issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
so if they gays can find a gay church, who cares if they marry. traditional churches could denounce the more liberal churches right?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what's the difference between the two? is it just the marriage license tax?
Let me give you a real answer.

"Civil unions" are defined differently from one state to another, and from one country to another. The rights included in a civil union vary from place to place. This is a big reason why it's not equivalent to marriage.

In states where civil unions provide the exact same rights as marriage, then the difference is only in the name.

If you really want to read some details about civil unions and how they differ from marriage, go to:

Civil union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so if they gays can find a gay church, who cares if they marry. traditional churches could denounce the more liberal churches right?
Absolutely. Some claim that churches will be "forced" to marry same-sex couples, but that's just a scare tactic. It hasn't happened in any of the states where same-sex marriage is legal. The law in Vermont was even written to specifically say that no church can be forced to marry a same-sex couple.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times
If there is no difference then alert the right that they have nothing to fear and all states can recognize all marriages.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't think they should ever try to force a church to marry someone. the separation of church and state should work both ways. I think the institution of marriage is a freaking joke to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Some claim that churches will be "forced" to marry same-sex couples, but that's just a scare tactic. It hasn't happened in any of the states where same-sex marriage is legal. The law in Vermont was even written to specifically say that no church can be forced to marry a same-sex couple.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM

if we lived in a one size fits all society, but we are far from it. what's good for vermont might not be good for utah. no federal government should force the issue either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
If there is no difference then alert the right that they have nothing to fear and all states can recognize all marriages.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Seriously, I mean wasn't this country founded on the concept of keeping "government out of our churches" anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies