Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:17 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
OZ ...I only have two major credit cards and three department store cards. I pay off the department store as soon as the bill come in, however two of the three dropped my credit limit without notification good thing i'm NEVER close to my limit.
My major credit cards are a different issue. I have what was once a WAMU but now chase card. My interest rate (which was not a introductory rate) was 9.5%, received my bill two weeks ago from Chase, the rate is now 18%, now this isnt on any new balance, but the ENTIRE balance. Even if i cancel the card, that balance with the hire rate has to be paid.
That is not we we found,when you receive the notice of changes,it states you can decline the new agreement,however your card can no longer be used OR your rate will go up.....

As to dropping your credit limit,it is their choice,you can choose to not have the account.

We owe a TON of money on our C/C's...and oddly enough our limit was just increased on one and the others remain the same....not that I care.

If you truly want to be free,stop using credit to live.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Is that the case though???Does your credit actually get negatively affected if an account is closed?
Yes it negatively affects your credit rating. It also negatively affects your credit rating if you choose to close an account after paying it off.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes it negatively affects your credit rating. It also negatively affects your credit rating if you choose to close an account after paying it off.
really? that is ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

No actually its true. If you close a credit card account especially after paying it off, your credit score will drop, not by much but it will drop. Which is why i did not close the cards i have yet.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Of course it's ridiculous, unfortunately it's the truth.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
Sadly, yes.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
No actually its true. If you close a credit card account especially after paying it off, your credit score will drop, not by much but it will drop. Which is why i did not close the cards i have yet.
Yeah, a few years ago, I didn't realize it & I ended up paying off I think it was 2 or 3 smaller credit cards w/like Gap & Victorias Secret. Paid them off & closed them so I wouldn't ever use them again. Stupid of me, of course it screwed up my rating. Wish I would've known it before I did that. How stupid is that though, you do something responsible like pay off your debt, then you close it so you don't use it, again doing something responsible, & you get penalized for it! This whole credit rating thing is a joke, it takes just a few late payments or missed payments & your rating is shot but try to get it back up there, forget about it. It takes years. And another assinine thing that affects your rating: companies checking your credit rating. Let's say you want to lease a car & they check your credit, it'll affect your credit rating. The more companies that check it, whether it's to rent an apartment or what not, the worse your credit gets, how insane is that??

Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
We are in debt to the Credit card companies PAST our eyeballs....

But no-one forced us to do this....we made the decision.

As to increasing your interest,you can simply choose to not agree to the change in terms,sure you can no longer use that card but your interest rate won't change as long as you stay current.

Dropping customers is their prerogative as well.

TO me it is your choice to use a card.
The way things go today, it's about impossible to get by without a credit card. I have only one, and have to have it for my job because my company forces me to pay upfront for airfare, rental cars, and hotels for travel. That's another thing I don't agree with - your company forcing you to have a credit card!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Is that the case though???Does your credit actually get negatively affected if an account is closed?

If the loan being late is reported to the credit reporting agencies,why shouldn't you be penalised?
I think that is one of the things he wants to talk to them about... How they are helping you to be late..

Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Obama to Crack Down on Credit Card Cos

I would welcome some reform from Congress. They should nail the credit rating agencies while they're at it.

Of course its no surprise as this the most debt-loving government we have ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies