Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times

Advertisements

And as someone else wrote about a killin, here we go again!

Quote:
Cleveland Plain Dealer: Police used tear gas and rubber bullets on Saturday night to break up a crowd of at least 400 college students who built a towering fire with couches on a city street just off the Kent State University campus.
Of course, no mention (that I heard) of what the altercation was all about. And darn it, the cops used rubber bullets. Breitbart.tv » Campus Police Fire Rubber Bullets to Disperse Rioting Students at Kent State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
And as someone else wrote about a killin, here we go again!

Of course, no mention (that I heard) of what the altercation was all about. And darn it, the cops used rubber bullets. Breitbart.tv » Campus Police Fire Rubber Bullets to Disperse Rioting Students at Kent State
Whatever they used, they killed 4 people. I was in Pittsburgh going to college at the time. Probably ~ 100 miles away, and one of the people killed was from Pgh. It was in the news for forever. What do you mean, here we go again?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Whatever they used, they killed 4 people. I was in Pittsburgh going to college at the time. Probably ~ 100 miles away, and one of the people killed was from Pgh. It was in the news for forever. What do you mean, here we go again?
I misplaced the point of the poke about rubber bullets, in that the real ones were used in the killings way long time ago. "Here we go again?" Well, riots, student riots of course, those young minds what have been clouded over by left rhetoric and liberal professors. That's sad, wouldn't you agree?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I misplaced the point of the poke about rubber bullets, in that the real ones were used in the killings way long time ago. "Here we go again?" Well, riots, student riots of course, those young minds what have been clouded over by left rhetoric and liberal professors. That's sad, wouldn't you agree?
Well, we just had a set of demonstrations (which is how the KSU shootings started) with middle aged, conservatives at its core. It's kind of an American tradition.

The Univesity of Colorado just had a very successful marijuana demonstration with 10,000 attendees and no arrests.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,868 times
Quote:

The saddest part to me is the students killed were not, "young minds what have been clouded over by left rhetoric and liberal professors," as you would rewrite history. Some of the unarmed students shot dead in cold blood had actually participated in the peaceful demonstration. The other dead were just on their way to class. Nine others were hit, one remains permanently paralyzed. No matter how much hatred one may have for Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech, firing M-1 Garands at unarmed people is not an appropriate method of crowd dispersal. It was one of your "liberal professors" who prevented further violence by convincing the students to disperse and not attempt to retaliate against the unprovoked attack. The murders provoked the only Nationwide Student strike in US history, involving more than two million protestors.

Quote:

Killed (and approximate distance from the National Guard):Wounded (and approximate distance from the National Guard):
  • Joseph Lewis Jr. 71 ft (22 m); hit twice in the right abdomen and left lower leg
  • John R. Cleary 110 ft (34 m); upper left chest wound
  • Thomas Mark Grace 225 ft (69 m); struck in left ankle
  • Alan Canfora 225 ft (69 m); hit in his right wrist
  • Dean Kahler 300 ft (91 m); back wound fracturing the vertebrae - permanently paralyzed from the chest down
  • Douglas A. Wrentmore 329 ft (100 m); hit in his right knee
  • James Dennis Russell 375 ft (114 m); hit in his right thigh from a bullet and in the right forehead by birdshot - both wounds minor {died 2007}
  • Robert F. Stamps 495 ft (151 m); hit in his right buttock {died June 11, 2008}
  • Donald Scott MacKenzie 750 ft (230 m); neck wound
Immediately after the shootings, many angry students were ready to launch an all-out attack on the National Guard. Many faculty members, led by geology professor and faculty marshal Glenn Frank, pleaded with the students to leave the Commons and to not give in to violent escalation, saying:

"I don't care whether you've never listened to anyone before in your lives. I am begging you right now. If you don't disperse right now, they're going to move in, and it can only be a slaughter. Would you please listen to me? Jesus Christ, I don't want to be a part of this...!" [19] After 20 minutes of speaking, the students left the Commons, as ambulance personnel tended to the wounded, and the Guard left the area.
Although initial newspaper reports had inaccurately stated that a number of National Guard members had been killed or seriously injured, only one Guardsman, Sgt. Lawrence Shafer, was injured seriously enough to require medical treatment, approximately 10 to 15 minutes prior to the shootings.[20] Shafer is also mentioned in a memo from November 15, 1973. The FBI memo was prepared by the Cleveland Office and is referred to by Field Office file # 44-703. It reads as follows:
Upon contacting appropriate officers of the Ohio National Guard at Ravenna and Akron, Ohio, regarding ONG radio logs and the availability of service record books, the respective ONG officer advised that any inquiries concerning the Kent State University incident should be direct to the Adjutant General, ONG, Columbus, Ohio. Three persons interviewed regarding reported conversation by Sgt Lawrence Shafer, ONG, that Shafer had bragged about "taking a bead" on Jeffrey Miller at the time of the ONG shooting and each interviewee unable to substantiate such a conversation.[citation needed]

In an interview broadcast in 1986 on the ABC News documentary series Our World, Shafer identified the person that he fired at as Joseph Lewis.
Kent State shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://dept.kent.edu/sociology/lewis/lewihen.htm

Quote:
In the proceeding years, many in the anti-war movement have referred to the shootings as "murders", although no criminal convictions were obtained against any National Guardsman. Journalist I.F. Stone wrote
To those who think murder is too strong a word, one may recall that even Agnew three days after the Kent State shootings used the word in an interview on the David Frost show in Los Angeles. Agnew admitted in response to a question that what happened at Kent State was murder, 'but not first degree' since there was — as Agnew explained from his own training as a lawyer — "no premeditation but simply an over-response in the heat of anger that results in a killing; it's a murder. It's not premeditated and it certainly can't be condoned.[30]

Last edited by fatchance2005; 04-26-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
The saddest part to me is the students killed were not, "young minds what have been clouded over by left rhetoric and liberal professors," as you would rewrite history. Two of the unarmed students shot dead in cold blood had actually participated in the peaceful demonstration. The other two dead were just on their way to class. Nine others were hit, one remains permanently paralyzed. No matter how much hatred one may have for Freedom of Assembly and Freedom of Speech, firing M-1 Garands at unarmed people is not an appropriate method of crowd dispersal. It was one of your "liberal professors" who prevented further violence by convincing the students to disperse and not attempt to retaliate against the unprovoked attack. The murders provoked the only Nationwide Student strike in US history, involving more than two million protestors.
Cry me a river, man, see if I care. And I just knew there'd be trouble keeping you on track with this post. I wasn't intending to rehash history with you, but to point out the obvious in today's world. You want to rehash, go for it.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM

What does this have to do with today's world? The only demonstrations of any note are the Tea Parties! Students are not rioting, or even demonstrating much on campuses.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Cry me a river, man, see if I care. And I just knew there'd be trouble keeping you on track with this post. I wasn't intending to rehash history with you, but to point out the obvious in today's world. You want to rehash, go for it.
Like Reagan and Ollie discovered, a selective memory can provide "comfort".

Reagan went all the way with it.

Guess SOMEONE wanted to comfort the Nation.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Well, we just had a set of demonstrations (which is how the KSU shootings started) with middle aged, conservatives at its core. It's kind of an American tradition.

The Univesity of Colorado just had a very successful marijuana demonstration with 10,000 attendees and no arrests.
only because the pot smokers outnumbered the law enforcement.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with today's world? The only demonstrations of any note are the Tea Parties! Students are not rioting, or even demonstrating much on campuses.
You might want to review Chapel Hill, UC Santa Cruz, Berkeley, and Columbia for protest and demonstrations but that only happens if military recruiters or conservative speakers arrive on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies