Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Celebrities and especially music artists and rappers are not credible in my book. Who cares what they think. Many celebrities are uneducated anyways and are nothing but blathering idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Interesting... it says Prof. Griff made the comments and not Chuck D... Truegritt, I'm surprised you would forward on the words of a devoted Farrakhan follower like Public Enemy... as I've stated before, if the far left and far right hate Obama, he's doing something right.
Obama is a Farrakhan follower so is his wife what about that!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Celebrities and especially music artists and rappers are not credible in my book. Who cares what they think. Many celebrities are uneducated anyways and are nothing but blathering idiots.

Its called "misplaced authority". One of the false arguments they teach you about in introductory debate classes. Should we then consult the rappers on all matters of foreign policy, budgetary questions, issues before the Supreme Court? Global warming, Stem Cells and the Space Program? Or do their words only carry weight when they comment on a President who happens to be of thier own race?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As if anyone is going to turn to a rap group for advise on any thing in life.

No, just most of Obama's voters.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Obama is a Farrakhan follower so is his wife what about that!
You wouldn't happen to have some kind of 'proof' of that, would you?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You wouldn't happen to have some kind of 'proof' of that, would you?
Obama Organized Farrakhan’s ‘Million Man March’
Democrat presidential front-runner Barack Obama not only marched with Nation of Islam Founder Louis Farrakhan in the first Million Man March on Washington, D.C., but he helped organize the 1995 event!
Buried 13 years deep inside the archives at Biography.com, the biography of Farrakhan includes this statement:

In 1995, along with other prominent black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Barack Obama, Farrakhan helped lead the Million Man March on Washington. A second march, called the Millions More Movement, took place in 2005.
Obama Organized Farrakhan’s ‘Million Man March’ | Bob McCarty Writes

Michelle Obama pictured with wife of Louis Farrakhan
Michelle Obama pictured with wife of Louis Farrakhan - Conservative Politics Today (http://conservativepolitics.today.com/2008/06/03/michelle-pictured-together-with-wife-of-louis-farrakhan/ - broken link)

Most Americans would concede that a First Lady, regardless of political party, should not be hanging with the wife of Louis Farrakhan or the wife of David Duke. Is there room for associating with known racists, anti-Semites and homophobes?
Michelle Obama and Louis Farrakhan’s Wife Together in Photo : NO QUARTER

Obama distances himself from Farrakhan
Obama distances himself from Farrakhan - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Obama Dodges Farrakhan Issue
That’s what Obama did recently when he told Jewish leaders in Cleveland, “An award was given to Farrakhan for his work on behalf of ex-offenders, completely unrelated to his controversial statements.”
Newsmax.com - Obama Dodges Farrakhan Issue (http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/obama_farrakhan/2008/03/05/77971.html - broken link)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback_06 View Post
Gosh, Reputhugs are desperate to lie and distort anything. I guess they did learn something after all from the past 8 years.
Geez, can that name-distorting crap, canya? It doesn't do anything but inflame, and there's enough of that on this board already.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Its called "misplaced authority". One of the false arguments they teach you about in introductory debate classes. Should we then consult the rappers on all matters of foreign policy, budgetary questions, issues before the Supreme Court? Global warming, Stem Cells and the Space Program? Or do their words only carry weight when they comment on a President who happens to be of thier own race?
Very good point. I don't listen to rappers at all (can't stand their music) and don't listen to the political views of most celebrities, because I don't believe celebrity status, in and of itself, confers any authority on any subject but their own demonstrated expertise in their field.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
Quote:
Democrat presidential front-runner Barack Obama not only marched with Nation of Islam Founder Louis Farrakhan in the first Million Man March on Washington, D.C., but he helped organize the 1995 event!
Buried 13 years deep inside the archives at Biography.com, the biography of Farrakhan includes this statement:

In 1995, along with other prominent black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Barack Obama, Farrakhan helped lead the Million Man March on Washington. A second march, called the Millions More Movement, took place in 2005.

Michelle Obama pictured with wife of Louis Farrakhan - Conservative Politics Today (http://conservativepolitics.today.com/2008/06/03/michelle-pictured-together-with-wife-of-louis-farrakhan/ - broken link)

Most Americans would concede that a First Lady, regardless of political party, should not be hanging with the wife of Louis Farrakhan or the wife of David Duke. Is there room for associating with known racists, anti-Semites and homophobes?

Obama distances himself from Farrakhan - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

That’s what Obama did recently when he told Jewish leaders in Cleveland, “An award was given to Farrakhan for his work on behalf of ex-offenders, completely unrelated to his controversial statements.”
Newsmax.com - Obama Dodges Farrakhan Issue (http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/obama_farrakhan/2008/03/05/77971.html - broken link)
Ahem...MsMcQ asked for proof.

An article alleging that Obama helped Farrakhan plan the MMM, and a picture of Michelle Obama attending a panel/luncheon that Mrs. F also attended do not come even remotely close to proving your assertion that the Obamas are followers of Farrakhan.

I would say "Nice try," except it wasn't.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:

Sorry, but none of that 'proves' your statement. All your links prove is that the Obamas know the Farrakhans. Your statement was that the Obamas are 'followers of' Mr. Farrakhan. And that is what I asked you to prove.

Your first link proves absolutely nothing - it is a blog and while the blogger is entitled to his opinion, when I clicked on a few of the links he provided, they did not lead me to the words he claimed they did.

Your second and third links prove only that Mrs. Obama and Mrs Farrakhan attended the same luncheon. As a former real estate agent and former tax professional, I can tell you that I also attended lots of luncheons. But that doesn't mean that I agreed with everyone else at those luncheons and certainly doesn't make me a 'follower'.

Your final two links prove nothing but the bias of their authors.
In fact, from what I've seen, all of your links prove nothing but the biases of their authors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies