Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Also - Pedophilia is not a sexual orientation. Sexual orientation refers to being attracted to men, women, or both. Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder, not a "sexual preference" or "sexual orientation".

sexual orientation - definition of sexual orientation in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Quote:
The direction of one's sexual interest toward members of the same, opposite, or both sexes, especially a direction seen to be dictated by physiologic rather than sociologic forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
No, they are not.
please direct me to the part of the bill where people sexually oriented toward attraction to children are excluded.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
please direct me to the part of the bill where people sexually oriented toward attraction to children are excluded.
Pedophilia is not a "sexual orientation", it is a criminal psychiatric disorder.

It is not in any way accepted by any legal or medial community as a "sexual orientation", it is classified as a disorder. In fact, there was a recent article I read online where NAMBLA was attempting to get pedophilia classified as such, and of course, failed.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Being a pedophile is ILLEGAL and harmful to children.

As Newtoli is saying, it is NOT a sexual orientation. It is a criminal disorder. Dont confuse them gays.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Gays are hung from a cross
i assume you are referring to the matthew shepard case here? he was tied to a fence, iirc.
the perpetrators in that case were facing the death penalty; what greater punishment do you suggest would have been appropriate?

Quote:
black man tied to the back of a truck and dragged to death
in the james byrd case, two of the perps were sentenced to death, the third to life in prison. again, what more appropriate punishment should have been given?

Quote:
burning cross and swastikas on a house to intimidate. Hate crime laws are still needed today because some local laws can not be trusted....unfortunately.
did any of those cases go unpunished? are the thoughts that lie behind crimes more important than the crimes themselves?

Last edited by uggabugga; 04-28-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Pedophilia is not a "sexual orientation", it is a criminal psychiatric disorder.

It is not in any way accepted by any legal or medial community as a "sexual orientation", it is classified as a disorder. In fact, there was a recent article I read online where NAMBLA was attempting to get pedophilia classified as such, and of course, failed.
sexual orientation goes undefined in this legislation. did you miss that part?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
are special protections granted to pedophiles in this legislation that is being pushed by democrats? yes or no.
Short answer is "No." Pedophilia is not considered a 'sexual orientation' by any medical or legal definition.

In looking for the definition of 'hate crime', I found this from Webster's: hate crime - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
Main Entry:hate crime Function:noun Date:1984 : any of various crimes (as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation
You might note that the term has been in use now for 25 years, so it's not a 'new' concept.

As to why such legislation is needed, I saw the best explanation for that in another forum that has since been closed, but I will attempt to explain it here. With a 'hate crime' the intent of the perpetrator (whether a conscious or unconscious intent) is to create fear in an entire group or community. Kind of like an "I'll teach you and others of your kind to stay in your place" kind of thing. Hate crimes legislation is intended to show that that kind of action is simply no longer permissible in this society where our founding document (the Constitution) says that all are equal under the law.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
sexual orientation goes undefined in this legislation. did you miss that part?
Sexual Orientation is already defined and there is no need to define it, as is "race" and as is "gender". Pedophilia is not a form of sexual orientation, period. Again, it is a criminal psychiatric DISORDER. Just check the DSM-IV.

But hey, believe whatever hype and outrage the machine is pumping out today.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Being a pedophile is ILLEGAL and harmful to children.

As Newtoli is saying, it is NOT a sexual orientation. It is a criminal disorder. Dont confuse them gays.

Right, but that doesn't prevent some pedophile's lawyer from arguing that it is just a sexual orientation. They've been pushing that case for years! I wouldn't put it past some judge to agree with them. Then it could have to go all the way to the Supreme Court to get overturned. What a waste of money! In the meantime kids can be hurt. What are they worried about? The price of ink?

North American Man/Boy Love Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anorak News » Blog Archive » North American Man-Boy Love Association ‘Shoots’ Cumo In The Face

Dallas Music - North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) Benefit Concert - page 1

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Short answer is "No." Pedophilia is not considered a 'sexual orientation' by any medical or legal definition.
so what's the problem with specifically stating that in this bill?

Quote:
In looking for the definition of 'hate crime', I found this from Webster's: hate crime - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

You might note that the term has been in use now for 25 years, so it's not a 'new' concept.

i don't believe anyone is under the impression that 'hate crimes' constitute a 'new' concept.

Quote:
As to why such legislation is needed, I saw the best explanation for that in another forum that has since been closed, but I will attempt to explain it here. With a 'hate crime' the intent of the perpetrator (whether a conscious or unconscious intent) is to create fear in an entire group or community.
according to whom?

if someone beats me up because of my race while yelling a racial epithet, they will face harsher punishment than if they beat me up for exactly the same reason sans racial epithet. does that make sense to you?

Quote:
Kind of like an "I'll teach you and others of your kind to stay in your place" kind of thing. Hate crimes legislation is intended to show that that kind of action is simply no longer permissible in this society where our founding document (the Constitution) says that all are equal under the law.
committing violent acts is already not permissible. and people will most definitely not be considered 'all equal' under this law; if someone is specifically targeted because they are in the military or old, or of a particular political persuasion, or from a different country, crimes against them will not be considered 'hate crimes.'
how exactly is that 'equal'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies