Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Though the primary mission of the federally run San Francisco Housing Authority is to provide safe, sanitary, affordable and decent housing for very low-income families, senior citizens and persons with disabilities, officials admit the housing is unacceptable...

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project
Does this say anything out the government's ability to manage something like housing? What are some alternative ways to provide housing for low income people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Does this say anything out the government's ability to manage something like housing? What are some alternative ways to provide housing for low income people?
its not the Federal & State Gov that are not doing their job, but local Government. If local government adhere to the rules of,

- No one other than the people listed on the lease are allowed to live in the building
- anyone with a record will be ineligible for public housing

also if they implement the rule that unless you have a medical condition, YOU must have a income. Too many people living in these public housing are either drug addicts, drug dealers on welfare or all of the above and yes i will admit, unfortunately its mostly african american's. More restrictions need to implemented.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
A house is just four walls. Why not blame the residents? The better topic is "Why are residents of public housing such losers?"

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Public housing sucks mainly due to a mixture of underfunding (and/or mismanagement of funds) and the fact the public housing is aimed at the poor. Public housing first started off as a program for the middle-class (ie. people who really didn't need it) and the in the 60s moved towards housing for the poor. Regardless of other circumstances, the poor suffer from a higher proporton of social problems than other socioeconomic classes, so the mixture between badly maintained buildings and a population that has a naturally higher crime rate, alcoholism rate, and drug abuse rate makes public housing worse than even your average slum.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Virtually all public housing is owned by city governments which are chronicly short of money. No money = no repairs.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
A house is just four walls. Why not blame the residents? The better topic is "Why are residents of public housing such losers?"
While I wouldn't phrase it in those words....

There was a program on NPR not too long ago about experiences in public housing.
One woman said she noted a change in the people who lived in the housing over the years. Every year the people would take even less care of the building and destroy things.

It seems a lot of people tend to destroy things because it isn't theirs.
It all depends on your home training.
Sad to sad but it seems a lot of people in public housing make the living conditions bad by not taking care of where they live.

There are some people who live in public housing who are good people and want to see everyone take care of where they live but it seems these people are in the minority.

I've seen examples of public housing where the building is really modern and attractive but outside you see lots of broken down cars, trash, etc.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,574 times
It's not the HOUSING PROJECTS that are SO BAD it's the NEIGHBORHOOD which they usually place them at and then the people they actually put in them to live that makes them the PROJECTS that have a bad reputation

Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Well, this is nothing new. I know someone who works for the city & a few years ago, she had the job of going into public housing places & cleaning them up after the people either died or left. Let's just say, she almost got murdered when she came up on a drug deal going on in a basement, & other than that she had many other stories of complete squallor. It's sad, I don't know what is up w/it, but I'm going to make a generalization here...these people do NOT care about where they live & what kind of conditions they live in. I'm talking roaches, garbage, urine, feces, drug paraphenalia, food left out...it's bad.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Exactly. The slum-like conditions of low-income housing communities is caused by the people who live there.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Exactly. The slum-like conditions of low-income housing communities is caused by the people who live there.
In a way, I will agree w/this. I used to be a process server & it was very scary going into the core ghetto of my city...boarded up houses, very scary people doing drug deals (yes, I know for a FACT they were doing drug deals), people coming to the door who were very very cracked out on drugs. It was not a fun job. BUT, not all of them were like that, there were very cool people who just did not have the money to live anywhere else & I really felt for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies